Bodybuilding in the RM

JasonMc

Reaction score
I was thinking, because the royal marines offers lots of sports to part take in, could you compete in bodybuilding??
i mean if you end up looking like dorian yates im guessing you wouldnt really posses the fitness required in combat situations.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aye I've always wondered this. I think the Navy do Powerlifting e.t.c but not too sure about Marines.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Aye I've always wondered this. I think the Navy do Powerlifting e.t.c but not too sure about Marines.
The Marines are part of the Navy, When you get your ID card you got ROYAL NAVY in black letters across front of your ID card.
When you see Navy taking part in sports, Betcha bottom dollar that theres marines in that team..
And there is a powerlifting team out yeah, Guess who came first in the bench press, you guessed it a bootneck, 200 something kilos he managed..

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* yeh, i think the marines should have their own special card :p.
Im sure it wouldnt matter if u were a big muscly bugger, as long as it doesnt effect your general running stamina fitness levels, it would be hard to keep a big body builder figure with lots of cardio workout, but i guess there are some built people who are pretty built and agile, Van Dam..perhaps, but then i doubt he'd have the stamina to run 10 miles in full kit with gun and ammo etc..

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Body Building

You wouldn't be able to work at bodybuilding or power lifting in a serious way during basic training, as your training will be geared towards speed, inner strengtha nd endurance. However, I'm pretty sure you would be able to focus on this kind of stuff after you've passed out.

One of my oppos in the Corps was a mega weight lifter. He's now a world power lifting champion.

So there ya go!!

Cheers

Steve

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* yeh, i think the marines should have their own special card :p.
Im sure it wouldnt matter if u were a big muscly bugger, as long as it doesnt effect your general running stamina fitness levels, it would be hard to keep a big body builder figure with lots of cardio workout, but i guess there are some built people who are pretty built and agile, Van Dam..perhaps, but then i doubt he'd have the stamina to run 10 miles in full kit with gun and ammo etc..
Guy in the PRMC fitness book is quite big, obv not Dorian big but bigger than most.

Do they have a proper gym there with free weights, squat rack etc?

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Why would you want to get bodybuilder big after RT?

I thought the reason they reccomend not being big for RT is because it slows you down? Once I've passed out and go to Afghanistan, the last thing I want to be is slow when the bullets start flying.

Reminds me of a classic joke:
An Englishman and and Scotsman are walking across the African plains, when a hungry Cheetah starts moving towards them. The Scottish bloke sits down, and starts putting on his running shoes. The Englishman turns to him and asks, "Why're you doing that? You'll never outrun a Cheetah." The Scotsman finishes tying his laces and looks to the Englishman, "Aye, but I'll outrun you."

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Guy in the PRMC fitness book is quite big, obv not Dorian big but bigger than most.
The guy pictured in the RM Fitness Programme is a PTI & you will find many of them are muscularly "mahoosive", BUT not before completing Recruit Training as stated.