Bodyweight and Training

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Morning everyone.

Currently I weigh in at a hearty 56kg, I am 6foot tall and have been sitting down for the past ten months due to my job being a checkout operator in a supermarket. Sitting down far more than standing up and that is a massive change over from a landscaping job before that, where we never say down. This has caused a sedantary lifestyle to become a habit again.

Having been blessed with the body of a telephone pole, weight gain is a rough job. My goal right now is to build up to at least 65kg.

I have the facts and figures;
  • At least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, for me that's just about 124grams of protein alone per day.
  • A progression plan for calorie intake, 2100 per day for three weeks, then 3500, then even more.
  • More calories in than out.
Biggest issue is not the gaining of the weight, it is the money! Yes I have a full time job, but my hours are about to change and drop. For the better because I won't be sitting down anymore. I have a house, a car and a girlfriend who is money conscious, and right to be, who is starting her own business.

I have found cheap ways to just gain weight, some ways aren't so clean but the majority of it is. I am using protein powder, a scoop per day, to see how it works.

My question really, is about the training. What would be best for an ectomorph, to pile on the weight while training hard, or pile it on and train carefully just to prompt the muscles and such to get moving? Should I not train at all, as in no cardio, just maybe simple bodyweight stuff, or is that not good? What is the right balance?

Thanks.

D

dodgyknees

You are massively underweight for your height. Forget weighing food etc...get yourself down the doc to ensure there is no underlying reason why you are so underweight. Explain to the doc what your issue is and what your goal is and get some proper advice on training vs eating.

Once the doc gives you the go-ahead, there are lots of training plans on here with @arny01 seeming to be the best. As for eating, the average bloke should be on about 2500 without taking additional training into account...suggest you need to significantly increase your pie eating to stand even a fighting chance of putting on some bulk.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
underlying reason why you are so underweight

Wow, never considered this. I will look into it, thanks for pointing it out. I know that my bloods and things are all absolutely fine, but I will get it checked out again.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Around 6 months ago I was 65 kg and at 6’3” probably a similar build to yourself. I now weigh 78kg with a lower body fat percentage. Hopefully these tips will work as well for you as they did for me.

Don’t cut out the cardio. With your build you should be a naturally fast runner so make sure to train it as the running tests on prmc are likely to be your strongest elements.

If you keep up the cardio then you’re going to need to up your calorie intake, use this link to give you an idea of how many you should be aiming for in a day.
http://www.calculator.net/calorie-c...0&ckg=60&cactivity=1.725&printit=0&x=102&y=29

Over 3,000 calories daily is do-able if your eating the right foods. Porridge and eggs & bread for breakfast is a cheap option which can get you up to 800kcals. Pasta is cheap, clean and with enough of it, and a decent topping, can see you put away over 1,000 in a meal. Jacket potato and a canned topping again is a good option and not expensive. Snacking on things like nuts and yoghurts between meals will also help.

Finally, using a mass gainer (instead of protein powder) has helped me. Over 500kcals in a shake with high protein content as well so you get best of both worlds.

Hope this helps and good luck.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mass gainer, definitely something to get my hands on. Thank you. And thanks for the food advice.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Save the money on protein powders if money is tight, your goal at the moment doesn't need to be 'clean' eating, it just needs to be eating. Maximum calories is the goal, start looking at calorie dense foods such as peanut butter. Mmm peanut butter.

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Get down the Aldi, smash 7 of the deep pan pizzas in the trolly (1000kcal each) that’s one meal for you for a day. Another surprisingly high dense calorie food is the wraps from there too, one wrap is like 150 calories, so get making wraps and throw on all sorts. I’ll give you another meal I have for breakfast, bacon and egg sandwiche (8rashers, 2eggs, lots of butter) banana and protein yogurt and milk, that there is about 1300 calories. All these foods are so cheap as long as you go to Aldi!

And the beauty of it you aren’t really cooking at all..

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Get down the Aldi, smash 7 of the deep pan pizzas in the trolly (1000kcal each) that’s one meal for you for a day. Another surprisingly high dense calorie food is the wraps from there too, one wrap is like 150 calories, so get making wraps and throw on all sorts. I’ll give you another meal I have for breakfast, bacon and egg sandwiche (8rashers, 2eggs, lots of butter) banana and protein yogurt and milk, that there is about 1300 calories. All these foods are so cheap as long as you go to Aldi!

And the beauty of it you aren’t really cooking at all..

Mouth is watering just thinking about it. Cheers for that

Reactions: LRL

SWCL14

Reaction score
Throw all of this in a blender.
-1 whole banana
-1-2 table spoons of peanut butter
-1-2 table spoons of ice cream
-1 scoop of protien powder
-A hand full of oats
-As much milk as you want
I forget the amount of calories in it but it's around 800-1000. It's easy to drink and digest too.

Eat as normal and drink it through out the day.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Throw all of this in a blender.
-1 whole banana
-1-2 table spoons of peanut butter
-1-2 table spoons of ice cream
-1 scoop of protien powder
-A hand full of oats
-As much milk as you want
I forget the amount of calories in it but it's around 800-1000. It's easy to drink and digest too.

Eat as normal and drink it through out the day.

Thank you, I am consuming the protein powder in a shake similar to this.

glos94

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Eat til your sick, then eat more. Lift weights. Don't bother weighing food or trying to eat super clean at your weight.

Also if you try and gain weight while simultaneously becoming a marathon runner, improving rmfa stats and whatever else you will just ending up achieving none of them.

Focus on the most important which for you is gaining weight.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Alright gang, hope all is well.

Soooooo I have been working on this since the thread was written and results are already, surprisingly showing, albeit they are small.

I weighed in today at 58kg, as opposed to the 56kg I was not too long ago.

I am aware that bodyweight fluctuates and this really is my bodys base level weight but it is great to see.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I weighed in today at 58kg, as opposed to the 56kg I was not too long ago.

Some people are naturally lean and everyone is different so it's difficult for anyone to give definitive advice on a forum.
But as alluded to by @dodgyknees your ratio (on Monday) of 56·0 kg bodyweight to 1·83 metres (six feet) height indicates a very low BMI.

As suggested by dodgyknees, consider checking out with your GP that there isn't an underlying condition. The probability is that you just have the metabolism of a hyperactive gazelle but your GP might refer you to a dietician who can give you a bespoke diet plan.

Enjoy it while it lasts; forty years hence you'll probably only have to look at a pear frangipane to instantly gain 4·0 kg.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Some people are naturally lean and everyone is different so it's difficult for anyone to give definitive advice on a forum.
But as alluded to by @dodgyknees your ratio (on Monday) of 56·0 kg bodyweight to 1·83 metres (six feet) height indicates a very low BMI.

As suggested by dodgyknees, consider checking out with your GP that there isn't an underlying condition. The probability is that you just have the metabolism of a hyperactive gazelle but your GP might refer you to a dietician who can give you a bespoke diet plan.

Enjoy it while it lasts; forty years hence you'll probably only have to look at a pear frangipane to instantly gain 4·0 kg.

Thank you I will be sure to look into a dietitian.

And to be honest if I could gain weight just by looking at food now, it's a good thing I am working in a supermarket!

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just the main body weight exercises and stronglifts

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How are you getting on with Stronglifts? I never made any progress on it myself.

I enjoy it. I know that I am going to have to carry somebody who is heavier than me and I need to be able to take the weight. I am only still using fairly small weights right now, ranging between 10kg for over head press and 20kg with the deadlift. Then the other exercises are mainly 15kg.

It seems to work well for me like that. Having the body of a soft spaghetti and all that.