Bodyweight Workout Query

chrystal19

Reaction score
I am just about to start a sole gym routine, as at the moment I am doing all my exercises after 20 minutes of HIIT, resulting in poor performance.

I am planning on doing, in high reps:

Push ups
Sit ups
Pull ups
Dips
Deadlifts
Squats
Barbell from floor to shoulder press

I was wondering should I do them in a circuit a few times, or do them in sets? And how many reps? I want to increase my muscle endurance. If anyone has an opinion, I'd be glad to hear it.

et-adams

Reaction score
Firstly, good job on getting your programme nearly right. Bodyweight exercises (compared to pumping iron) are the ONLY way to prepare properly, in terms of strength.

Sets and reps will depend on you. How many you can do. But as a gereral guide for each exercise, do:

1 x Max reps.
4 x Half Max reps. (ie, if you can do 60press ups at max rep, then do 4 sets of 30)
1x Max reps. (this'll obviously be less then your original max.)

Your programme should be similar to the following.
Mon: HIIT (Fartlek, hill runs, sprints, interval)
Tues: Upper Body (Arms, Chest, Shoulders)
Wed: HIIT (Fartlek, hill runs, sprints, interval)
Thursday: Lower body, abdominals.
Friday: Long distance run. (Upwards of 4miles)
Sat: Upper body. (Pull-ups/Press ups)
Sun: Complete rest.

This is quite intense so try to minimise injury risk by proper stretching and having complete rest on days off. If you find yourself overly fatigued, take a complete rest day mid-week. ie, Wednesday. Also, vary your HIIT so your body doesn't adjust to one particular form.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Firstly, good job on getting your programme nearly right. Bodyweight exercises (compared to pumping iron) are the ONLY way to prepare properly, in terms of strength.

Sets and reps will depend on you. How many you can do. But as a gereral guide for each exercise, do:

1 x Max reps.
4 x Half Max reps. (ie, if you can do 60press ups at max rep, then do 4 sets of 30)
1x Max reps. (this'll obviously be less then your original max.)

Your programme should be similar to the following.
Mon: HIIT (Fartlek, hill runs, sprints, interval)
Tues: Upper Body (Arms, Chest, Shoulders)
Wed: HIIT (Fartlek, hill runs, sprints, interval)
Thursday: Lower body, abdominals.
Friday: Long distance run. (Upwards of 4miles)
Sat: Upper body. (Pull-ups/Press ups)
Sun: Complete rest.

This is quite intense so try to minimise injury risk by proper stretching and having complete rest on days off. If you find yourself overly fatigued, take a complete rest day mid-week. ie, Wednesday. Also, vary your HIIT so your body doesn't adjust to one particular form.
So you'd recommend sets over circuits?

et-adams

Reaction score
Circuits are very good too. Mix it up. ie, one week sets, one week circuits.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Circuits are very good too. Mix it up. ie, one week sets, one week circuits.
Yeah. The Navy seals workouts appeal to me and seem to work, but they seem boring and monotomous, just wanted something different and more motivating.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Think im going to try that out et-adams, currently getting back from injury and stuff so im looking for a good and correct training routine. I'll see how it goes, cheers chrystal for making the thread :bigsmile:

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Can somebody explain HIIT to me, you guys seem to know what you are talking about. I really need to improve my running.

Cheers

chrystal19

Reaction score
No problem. HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. That explains quite a lot because if done properly it really hurts.

Basically it is high intensity bursts, and then recovery sections. A warm up and a warm down are performed before and after respectively.

My routine is this:

Each section is 1:20 long, speed at 7.3mph, for 20 minutes, on a treadmill.

2 sections at 4% incline (warm up)
1 section at 8%
1 section at 11%
1 section at 4%
1 section at 11%
1 section at 4%
1 section at 12% (High intensity and Recovery's)
1 section at 4%
1 section at 11%
1 section at 4%
1 section at 11%
1 section at 8%
2 sections at 4% (warm down)

As you can see my speed stays the same and the incline changes - the opposite works well too.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Also has anyone any info on how well Navy Seal Workouts are for improving fitness and muscle endurance? I think I'm going to start tomorow.

Seems to make sense as they're highly rated, specific to the marines due to the similiar nature of the Royal Marines and Navy Seals, and are basically all the training techniques we do anyway but structured into a tried and tested method.

Only problem is there is no HIIT, and I am at different stages in terms of the cardio and the bodyweight exercises.