Books

MrBannister

Reaction score
Does anyone have any books on the Royal Marines ie: Commando - Survival of the Fittest ..... ect

I would be willing to lend or even buy the books from you.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate your best off finding these books on the internet. Just google it you should get alot of results.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just ebay them mate. Try:
3 Commando - Ewen Southby-Tailyour
The Making of a Royal Marines Commando
Commando on the Front Line- Chris Terriel
Amoungst the Marines - Steven Preece
Theres also a one of the history of the Royal marines but dunno what its called...

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just started 3rd chapter of "Amongst the Marines - Steven Preece"
Looks like a really good book so far.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Royal Marines Commandos - John Parker
Commando - Chris Terrill
3 Commando - Ewen Southby-Tailyour

I have read a few chapters of the John Parker book and it is a detailled history of the Royal Marines, so if you need to top up your knowlegde for your interview then this is the book to read.

not selling mate!!

JoeSmith

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is that Commando on the front line good?
Well the book anyway, because I fancy a new book and want one where the person has actually done it himself and not just read about it and rewrite it.
Because I've read The Making of a Royal Marines Commando and Royal Marines Commando a Force for the Future.
Really enjoyed the first book but the second wasn't really that good and didn't really go into much depth as much I would of liked and the first part of the book is mostly the Navy.
But the last half was pretty good I suppose with the Falklands and stuff

McGarry90

Reaction score
Amoungst the marines By Steven Preece would be a good bet then. Hes a member of this site aswel and its basically about his expiriences during training and joining a unit. Im getting it for christmas but my mate said it was a fantastic read.

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Amoungst the marines By Steven Preece would be a good bet then. Hes a member of this site aswel and its basically about his expiriences during training and joining a unit. Im getting it for christmas but my mate said it was a fantastic read.

Both of his books are extremely good I polished off the first one the day after I got it (Last christmas) real page turner, pretty funny too. Return to Civvy street (second book) is somewhat more serious focusing on his struggle transforming from a fighting soldier back into a civilised civilian, it's just as good though, if not better.

'The Making of a Royal Marines Commando" on the other hand isn't so good. I found it a struggle to read, the layout of the book isn't good and it's not written very well and unless you're really REALLY into history. I bought it hoping for a realistic insight into corps life, which I didn't get. It's just plain boring and there are better reads out there.

Rusty6270

Reaction score
I would definately reccommend 'The making of a Royal Marines Commando', its true to say that the first part of the book is quite heavily focused on military history,but it gives you good background knowledge. Packed full of info on the marines, from many different perspectives and their counter-parts i.e. USMC.
plus ' amongst the marines' is alsoa good read too
and 3 para

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would definetly recommend 'Amongst The Marines', finished it in a few days after buying it. Couldn't put it down.

I wasn't to keen on 'Commando' by Chris Terrill, I literally had to force my way through it, took me about 4 weeks to read it. Don't know weather it was because I knew what was going to happen after watching 'Commando:On The Frontline'.

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would definetly recommend 'Amongst The Marines', finished it in a few days after buying it. Couldn't put it down.

I wasn't to keen on 'Commando' by Chris Terrill, I literally had to force my way through it, took me about 4 weeks to read it. Don't know weather it was because I knew what was going to happen after watching 'Commando:On The Frontline'.

I quite enjoyed Chris Terrils - Alot of bits about him going out with the officers and getting pissed were great!

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ye I would agree with that, reading about the bits you didn't see in the program were the best thing about the book in my opinion. I just got sick about reading about himself and what a massive underdog he thought he was. Just bored me.