Boot issues

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I start in a few weeks and having a few issues with the issued Haix boots. Mine are size 11, although I'm easily size 12 in outdoor running shoes and even with the spacer in they still feel quite large. I'e found that I can't walk for more than a few miles without them grating half the skin off the back of my feet, I tried wearing compeed plasters a few days ago and they worked great until the plasters fell off and ended up with a huge gash on the back of one of my heels. Just looking for a few tips really wether this is normal or not and how to combat it. I've never really worn boots before so guessing part of the issue is the skin on my feet being too prone to blistering due to this.

Thanks a lot.

Kez1996

Reaction score
If there to big just get a new pair when you start training

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your haix will be used as camp boots, they're like big comfy sneakers just with ankle support and a bit heavier! Suprised they're giving you blisters! Sounds like they've got to be big! They don't take much breaking in so as Kez said just change them for a new pair when you start training dude :)

I personally don't use compeed, never been a fan, find it naff, know other people think differently, everyones got their own ways
I use White Leukoplast Zinc Oxide Tape (comes in a roll with a blue/white cover) if I have to keep wearing boots (on a hike, mountaineering, running days back to back, on an exercise etc). Great stuff but a nightmare to get off without alcohol wipes or a hot bath and exfoliating gloves.

But I'd say on top of that you've got to toughen your feet up a bit too
(lucky for me being a bogan aussie walking around in bare feet most of the summers done that for me although a bit too much, having to pumice stone off a lot of deadskin now haha)

Hear loads of people rate wearing a pair of thin neoprene socks socks under wool socks to help prevent blisters, never done it myself but maybe look into that

You'll still get blisters after a lot of time spent walking in boots no matter what you do, if your feet are constantly wet its pretty unavoidable. Some people seem to get them worse than others.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Your haix will be used as camp boots, they're like big comfy sneakers just with ankle support and a bit heavier! Suprised they're giving you blisters! Sounds like they've got to be big! They don't take much breaking in so as Kez said just change them for a new pair when you start training dude :)

I personally don't use compeed, never been a fan, find it naff, know other people think differently, everyones got their own ways
I use White Leukoplast Zinc Oxide Tape (comes in a roll with a blue/white cover) if I have to keep wearing boots (on a hike, mountaineering, running days back to back, on an exercise etc). Great stuff but a nightmare to get off without alcohol wipes or a hot bath and exfoliating gloves.

But I'd say on top of that you've got to toughen your feet up a bit too
(lucky for me being a bogan aussie walking around in bare feet most of the summers done that for me although a bit too much, having to pumice stone off a lot of deadskin now haha)

Hear loads of people rate wearing a pair of thin neoprene socks socks under wool socks to help prevent blisters, never done it myself but maybe look into that

You'll still get blisters after a lot of time spent walking in boots no matter what you do, if your feet are constantly wet its pretty unavoidable. Some people seem to get them worse than others.
Thanks a lot for the post! Yeah I'll probably be keeping them more meant how it was a bit odd that I'm a size 12 in trainers but 10.5 in boots! I'm going to buy a load of tape before I go down so trying to get used to using it now, although my feet are already in a bit of a state so split between trying to break my boots in nicely and going down with my feet a mess or letting them heal nicely! Weird thing is I didn't have any blister issues on PRMC, just *text deleted* be one of them things for me unfortunately.

Pez1962

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Be aware contraband ie things not on the list of things to arrive with can be confiscated. If you have issues with fitting of boots seek help on arrival looking after your feet is crucial they are going to take huge punishment.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Be aware contraband ie things not on the list of things to arrive with can be confiscated. If you have issues with fitting of boots seek help on arrival looking after your feet is crucial they are going to take huge punishment.
I echo everything @Pez1962 says. You really need to get your feet sorted before going to CTC, as they will be shredded even more if you go there with unhealed blisters. Leave the boots off and exchange them for a properly fitted pair when you arrive.

My advice for fitting, which has always served me well, is to be able to insert a finger between your heel and the back of the boot/shoe when it is UNLACED. This will ensure a good fit when it is laced up and at the same time give your feet space to spread and swell when exercising.

Good luck

Alan

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I'll highlight the word "can" there. I understand every DL and TT are different...you take the risk but I think it's worth it for under 10 quid and maybe a small 'extra phys'.
Or if you don't want to take the risk pal order some (can order whatever you want online within reason, half my troop got breach tools for cleaning rifles and other useful items, just clear it with the DL or TT before hand if you don't want the risk of having it confiscated & some 'extra phys') during the early weeks of RT and have it sent to you down there. Can find the address & format for it in the Recruit Handbook.

No one is supposed to go through your civi items once you've arrived and had the intial inspection unless you're present, and if they find some blister tape I think it's very unlikely your DL or TT are going to confiscate it

As Caversham said though, definitely sound like ill fitting boots though pal. Rest up your feet now before RT and get some proper fitting boots when you're down there. If they heal quickly and you have time before you go down just do some long distance runs & walks and that'll help toughen the feet a bit but main concern now is healing them up ready for the biggest challenge of their life :')

Best of luck!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Yeah I'll probably be keeping them more meant how it was a bit odd that I'm a size 12 in trainers but 10.5 in boots!

Find a shoe shop which will measure your feet for you. It won't cost you a penny and you'll then have a good pointer for the future.

Don't rely on your current pair of trainers to indicate your true foot size. For example, the New Balance brand is consistently one whole size smaller than labelled on the shoe.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just another quick one, I've been using kiwi dark tan and polishing them a fair bit and now they'e a sickly shade of puple/maroon with a few black blotches all over, any quick remedies for this?

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just another quick one, I've been using kiwi dark tan and polishing them a fair bit and now they'e a sickly shade of puple/maroon with a few black blotches all over, any quick remedies for this?
Thats just thr way dark tan is. I often go over mine with one of them kiwi brown polish stick things (instead of polishing) so maybe try that after polishing?