Bootnecks & medics?

mufc122

Reaction score
Just some questions for any royals who have worked alongside navy commando medics, what were your thoughts on them and how they worked? How well integrated were they as part of the team? Were they able to get stuck in to the green side of the job and have the same responsibilities and skills as the royals? For some context I am finishing my training as a navy medic and finding it mega hoping to get a placement at a commando unit and get onto an all arms course as soon as I can, alternatively if there are any matelot medics or royal medics/experienced CMT’s etc with decent dits or advice to share I’d really appreciate that as well, many thanks guys.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just some questions for any royals who have worked alongside navy commando medics, what were your thoughts on them and how they worked? How well integrated were they as part of the team? Were they able to get stuck in to the green side of the job and have the same responsibilities and skills as the royals? For some context I am finishing my training as a navy medic and finding it mega hoping to get a placement at a commando unit and get onto an all arms course as soon as I can, alternatively if there are any matelot medics or royal medics/experienced CMT’s etc with decent dits or advice to share I’d really appreciate that as well, many thanks guys.
Yea the ones that did their job well got on well.
There’s one or 2 that didn’t deserve to be attached and didn’t really gel with the lads but it doesn’t happen all the time.

You won’t be kicking down doors, but you will have a chance to deploy and get hands on/stuck in around the world.

When in the jungle, there’s a lot of responsibility on the medics, as it’s not a straight forward place deal with casualties. All the extreme environments affect people in different ways, not just trauma, but illness, small injuries etc.

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I've worked with a few medics who have been keen and never dripped on exercise and field conditions that their initial training was nowhere near as physical or arduous/uncomfortable.

When attached in Norway, or Mountain training, or even a week bivvied out on the Moors, the navy medics who just cracked on and got involved and pulled their weight, get a lot of respect off the lads and hence treated as 'one of the lads' They maybe not as robust/fit but when the effort and willing is shown it is noticed.A field Bergen, with attached medical kit does weigh quite a bit so they are still digging out.

I know of 2 navy medics who were wraphands, not because they struggled with the pace, but because they made excuses and looked for any reason to get out of things. Hence not being treated like 'one of the lads'

mufc122

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and info guys, very encouraging to hear you get the chance to be very hands on and stuck in alongside the royals in the different environments you guys go to, seems the recurring them is be keen, don’t be jack and get stuck in as best you can

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Feel free to ask anything specific as Medic both as RM and Navy at a decent level in rank !! - but concur with the above - you get good and bad

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jaym018 Broken Bootnecks Jollies Bar 15
F Serving bootnecks... General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 12
I Bootnecks on acid... Jollies Bar 12