Boots drying tip

mace

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to share my way of drying my boots. I am not sure if it's a good way but I find it useful. It also might be common, I have just never seen it mentioned or done by anyone (on youtube and elsewhere, not in recruit training as I am still in the joining process...).
Traditionally after cleaning your boots, you would stuff it out with newspaper, right? Well in today's technical age coming across with lots of old newspaper is rare. Equally using kitchen paper towels are not cost-efficient. So what I have been using are high absorbent microfibre towels. They are ideal for soaking up the moisture from the inside of the boots, easy to stuff out the toe area so your boots won't deform, and reusable so it's a one-off cost. As I said, it might not be a revolutionary idea for you if you have been doing this way but certainly was for me.

Vine

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just buy yourself a boot dryer mate there a great investment mine was around £30 and it’s saved the day for me on multiple occasions highly recommend.

mace

Reaction score
Are they not ruining the glued parts? I was always told never place boots/shoes by a heater. What brand/model do you recommend? Are they allowed to be used during RT?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You get issued boots and can exchange them at stores whenever. You are issued altbergs and when I was in training you were issued haix boots too which were gash. So altbergs were your field and phys boots, and haix were your camp boots. You also have drying rooms in your grots on camp, and they will be used to dry out your boots and trust me you will want dry boots as much as possible.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to share my way of drying my boots. I am not sure if it's a good way but I find it useful. It also might be common, I have just never seen it mentioned or done by anyone (on youtube and elsewhere, not in recruit training as I am still in the joining process...).
Traditionally after cleaning your boots, you would stuff it out with newspaper, right? Well in today's technical age coming across with lots of old newspaper is rare. Equally using kitchen paper towels are not cost-efficient. So what I have been using are high absorbent microfibre towels. They are ideal for soaking up the moisture from the inside of the boots, easy to stuff out the toe area so your boots won't deform, and reusable so it's a one-off cost. As I said, it might not be a revolutionary idea for you if you have been doing this way but certainly was for me.
As a cost effective, quick, efficient & non-damaging method, I think it's a step (pardon the pun) in the right direction.

The more modern boots are often Goretex or have components that are more easily dried than the older all-leather or part leather versions, but microfibre is a good quick way to remove free water from within. If the insoles are removable & saturated, so much the better, particularly if they are washable or cheaply replaceable, non-moulded. The thing to remember with microfibre is that it retains the moisture after extracting it, so probably worth removing it fairly early-on.

Vine

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are they not ruining the glued parts? I was always told never place boots/shoes by a heater. What brand/model do you recommend? Are they allowed to be used during RT?
Not sure of the name of the one I use I’m not on camp just now mate I’ll try and PM you a link but they have never damaged my boots or any of the other lads we all have them (our drying room doesn’t dry) so that’s how we do it. If your fully submerged drying them takes nearer a couple days even with newspapers etc boot dryers it’s a couple hours not sure if you would be allowed them in RT but once you get to a unit there definitely handy.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I bought a set of Husqvana driers for use on both Altbergs and Aku boots, £15 and they work overnight. Just don’t use them in your grot as they do chuck up.

albert13C

Reaction score
Just buy yourself a boot dryer mate there a great investment mine was around £30 and it’s saved the day for me on multiple occasions highly recommend.

Would it be okay to buy a second pair of boots, to change them while other still been drying?

mace

Reaction score
Also while this topic are you allowed to wear waterproof socks and other than issued socks on exercise during RT? Cheers

Chelonian

Reaction score
Also while this topic are you allowed to wear waterproof socks and other than issued socks on exercise during RT?
So-called waterproof socks are ineffective as soon as water over-tops the boots. The inevitable encounters with water deeper than a splashy little puddle also render Goretex boot linings ineffective.

mace

Reaction score
So-called waterproof socks are ineffective as soon as water over-tops the boots. The inevitable encounters with water deeper than a splashy little puddle also render Goretex boot linings ineffective.
I actually have a very good experience with those socks, walking through close to knee deep water and coming out with dry feet.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I actually have a very good experience with those socks, walking through close to knee deep water and coming out with dry feet.
I'm impressed. My scepticism is based on multiple epic fails. :)
Total immersion will be a routine occurrence in RT so let us know how you get on.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Stick with the kit you are issued or your TT may throw a wobbler, they will let you know of any extras you can get.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Also while this topic are you allowed to wear waterproof socks and other than issued socks on exercise during RT? Cheers
You are issued a pair of seal skin socks, but these are only to be used in a harbour location when you know you are going to be static for a while, they help dry out your boots and keep your feet dry. If you’re caught wearing gore tex socks at any other time, the training team will not be happy. It happens all the time, nod doesn’t want to take off his cosy Gary socks, so ends up yomping in them, feet end sweating like hell and his feet go down.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The amount of time I’ve seen nods go down because they have put on every bit of kit the carry to keep warm in a harbour then don’t take it off when they yomp out was untrue. They only do it once.

Vine

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Would it be okay to buy a second pair of boots, to change them while other still been drying?
Are the nods allowed to use them?
I just bought a used pair of boots on eBay and 1 for 1 them at stores so I have a extra pair of boots there a life saver at times not sure what happens at lympstone with nods but I’m pretty sure your not allowed akus on the bottom field so don’t buy them (ideally you’d find out from someone currently at lympstone not even sure what’s issue down there) but just get some altbergs again i’d at least wait until your out of foundation block so they can be stored away when not in use.

As for dryers not sure if nods are allowed them I’d wait out and ask your TT when you get to lympstone if I’m honest mate better that then getting hassle for it.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As for dryers not sure if nods are allowed them I’d wait out and ask your TT when you get to lympstone if I’m honest mate better that then getting hassle for it.
My boy is in training at the moment. Just looking for ways to help although I know they need to experience discomfort to know how to either live with it or avoid it.

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Vine could you pop me the link for the boot dryers too please when you get a chance? Many thanks