Boots drying tip

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
0EBEB66A-DBBE-4DB0-907F-2620CB6579FF.png
That’s the one I personally use. It definitely does the job again I’d check with your TT if you’d be allowed it. But a worth while investment for unit or anyone who does a lot of hill walking or similar.

Any mods not happy with the link just delete it and I’ll send it direct to the lads.

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You don't need to spend money on fancy gizmos that are at risk of breaking or being lost, thousands of blokes have gone before you and grizzed out having damp feet or upped their admin to combat it- myself included.

If you're on exercise you can't take it with you, and your feet will have to go through a period of toughening up anyway, at the end of training after being wet so much and all the yomping the soles of my feet were like hide.

If you're on camp you won't be getting your haixs wet, and the next time you're putting your altbergs on will be for bottom field/phys or an ex, by which point you've had ample time to stick some newspaper in them and dry them out properly without cracking and shrinking them.

A newspaper is free from the church or 50p from the naafi.
Stop overthinking stuff.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You don't need to spend money on fancy gizmos that are at risk of breaking or being lost, thousands of blokes have gone before you and grizzed out having damp feet or upped their admin to combat it- myself included.
Every bloke in the military always says this then goes out and spends half there wages on fancy gizmos and Gucci kit for work. There’s not a bloke I know who has 100% issued kit with no add ons of there own to make life easier. I agree as with everything you don’t need to spend money on kit that isn’t completely necessary but we all do it.....

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @Vine . I’ll definitely be buying one of these boot dryers. I’m always looking for kit gift ideas for our RM son.
Like you say, if he doesn’t take it to unit it can be used at home - when we comes off the Munro’s his boots are rarely dry. Either way it’s a win win gift idea. Cheers

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @Vine . I’ll definitely be buying one of these boot dryers. I’m always looking for kit gift ideas for our RM son.
Like you say, if he doesn’t take it to unit it can be used at home - when we comes off the Munro’s his boots are rarely dry. Either way it’s a win win gift idea. Cheers
Same! On the list now for his birthday box

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Mumma23 got it this morning for £24.99 on Amazon, same one, same supplier, no idea why it was cheaper. Go go go - bargain! L O L x

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure but you are probably told to dry your boots upside down on the field/camp if they get fully submerged. It makes sense as the hot air travels upwards right into your boots, also it helps the drainage of your boots. Plus on the field insects are less likely to crawl in especially if they are sitting on a bivvy pole. So for indoors I thought I use that same principle and came up with this construction. Probably others have used this way before I have just not seen it yet. Also I am testing a hypothesis: the boots without a microfibre towel in will dry more in 10 hours. I had a microfibre towel in each for 30 mins to suck up any excess water but decided to remove one from one of the boots so I can compare the two methods.
P.s.: I know it’s a bit too much for some people but I like experimenting and using the most efficient method for anything.

Attachments

• 57700111-CA00-4406-A4A2-4AFAA874C16D.jpeg
    57700111-CA00-4406-A4A2-4AFAA874C16D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 4BF8A8CA-BA40-418F-AA06-3FD2801473D4.jpeg
    4BF8A8CA-BA40-418F-AA06-3FD2801473D4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate, please try leaving your boots upturned on a bivvy pole in training. It will be well worth it!
Why is that, please? What is recommended/used normally? Many thanks!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
In the field, every single bit of your kit must be secured. If you're not using it, its stowed away. Imagine your position is assaulted when you're in your bag. You want to be able to grab your bergen and rifle and "fűck off" at the earliest opportunity.

You dont want to be picking up bits of kit left right and Chelsea. It's not camping, It's tactical.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In the field, every single bit of your kit must be secured. If you're not using it, its stowed away. Imagine your position is assaulted when you're in your bag. You want to be able to grab your bergen and rifle and "fűck off" at the earliest opportunity.

You dont want to be picking up bits of kit left right and Chelsea. It's not camping, It's tactical.
Understood, thank you for taking the time and explaining it so I can learn!

D47M0R

Reaction score
Also while this topic are you allowed to wear waterproof socks and other than issued socks on exercise during RT? Cheers
I'd of thought waterproof socks would keep moisture from sweating in too? Not exactly great for walking... as your feet probably would end up wet anyway, and the socks retaining that wetness.

That's just my two-penny worth though. Could be wrong.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd of thought waterproof socks would keep moisture from sweating in too? Not exactly great for walking... as your feet probably would end up wet anyway, and the socks retaining that wetness.

That's just my two-penny worth though. Could be wrong.
The materials used are actually designed in a way to let the sweat evaporate while preventing water from coming in. I guess it's kind of similar to Gore-tex and other membranes. The water particle is larger than the sweat's gas particles or something like that. I just know it works. :) Either way, if you can't use them, you can't use them, it's not the end of the world.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You get issued a pair of seal skin socks which are waterproof, so when conducting wet and dry you'll put those over your dry socks and put your wet boots back on.
That's great, thank you! Happy feet! :)

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You will never wear your sealskins if you’re moving anywhere or doing anything other than lying on sentry. Strictly for use while static in a harbour

Chelonian

Reaction score
1970's version of Sealskinz socks: two shopping bags from Lipton's.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It’s impressive how far technology has come in 50 years, isn’t? :)
Yep, in the pre-Goretex era Peter Storm OG nylon tops and leggings were as good as it got.
And both were okay if combined with sound drills.

Sound drills are the key factor. Technology just lends a helping hand.