Boots

Tony Haart

Reaction score
Does anybody have any boots that they would like to sell? Altbergs etc?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
What are you needing boots for? Why specifically altbergs?

Rob20

Reaction score
Have you considered any civvy brands? Dont get me wrong I don't mind altbergs but there would certainly be better options out there if its just for abit of walking.

Also, don't just snap a pair up. Get the right size otherwise you'll do more harm than good.

Tony Haart

Reaction score
Yeah but every forum says that Altbergs are the best, maybe I could look at other brands though.

Rob20

Reaction score
What kind of walking are you doing? Just a casual bimble with the dog or are you up in the mountains regularly?

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with @Rob20, you definitely need a correct fitting pair of boots. I have altbergs but only because I’ve had a few different pairs of boots over the years and they’re my personal favourite, I’m regularly on Bodmin Moor.

TangoWhisky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I sell boots for a living as part of my job in a camping store, Altbergs are great but there's equally good brands. As Rob said, the type walking you're looking to do will influence what boots are best. Merrell are really good value for money if you're looking for all-round mesh boots. Salomon are my personal favourite though, but they get pretty pricey. Scarpa, Meindl, Haix, Berghaus, etc... are all very good too, but everything is situational dependent.

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I sell boots for a living as part of my job in a camping store, Altbergs are great but there's equally good brands. As Rob said, the type walking you're looking to do will influence what boots are best. Merrell are really good value for money if you're looking for all-round mesh boots. Salomon are my personal favourite though, but they get pretty pricey. Scarpa, Meindl, Haix, Berghaus, etc... are all very good too, but everything is situational dependent.
I have a pair of Salomon Speedcross trail shoes, like sex for the feet..

TangoWhisky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of Salomon Speedcross trail shoes, like sex for the feet..
They're amazingly light too, really good footwear. I've got a pair of their Quest 4D boots. I hadn't worn them in over a year and put them on for a lockdown wonder the other day. They made my walking shoes seem inadequate in comparison!

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Got a pair of DMS with the heel hanging off, £500

deerhunter909

Reaction score
after lockdown go to your local outdoor store and try a couple of pairs on to get the right fit, because the wrong size can mess up your feet. I know lots of people enjoy the Salomon Quest 4D, but lots of Scarpa's leather models seem very bomber, versatile, and well designed. with shoes, it's always better to catch them on a good deal and buy them new I have found. I got a couple pairs off eBay and they didn't really last. could just be me I'm not sure.