Boots....

0.01%

Reaction score
Alright fellas, get ready for a proper stupid question.......is there any particular way your boots should be laced?! As I say I know how daft that sounds but I passed PRMC the other week and want to start wearing my boots in, just wasn't sure if there was a certain way the training team and the RM's in general require it done. :dontaskme:

Cheers!

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My training team never specified a particular way for our boots to be laced (expect our drill boots).

My advice would be to lace them however you find most comfortable for the moment and once you start training should your training team want them a certain way they will soon let you know.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
one of the best ways to lace them is in the strait line formation, so its like IIIII instead of the XXXX way. (hope that makes sense), the reason i say this (and it will seem like im talking out my ass here) is that say something happend to your foot and you couldn't get the boot off by simply unlacing it then you can cut the laces a lot easier.
its just the way we tell the cadets to do it. but really just go down there with them however and see how everyone else has done theirs and just copy, because you all got to be the same.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Got my boots as well mate, not sure how to start wearing them in really. Is it best just to wear them when you walk to your mates or whatever? I heard they don't recommend training in them.

I heard something about standing in a hot bath with them on too?

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
At what point do you actually get your boots?

I heard that you can take say a Nike trainer apart and put all the insoles from the trainer into the boot to make it really comfortable. as it doesn't matter what it looks like inside but it does on the outside. Don't know if there is any truth in this?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hot Bath

The hot bath idea is really useful and works in the same way it does for shaping your beret. When the boots are really hot and wet they become loads more supple and mouldable and slightly expand. Stay in the hot water for about half an hour (read a book or something!) then keep your feet in them afterwards for as long as possible with the laces done up tight, preferably until they are cold and almost dry. As they start to cool they start to contract again and will mold around the shape of your feet. If you are unable to wear your boots on a day to day bases for various reasons then sleep in them! Sounds wired and Ive never done it but ive read loads of military books where they mention it, and of course during training, whenever you are out in the field you will have to sleep in your boots.

Trademark

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
one of the best ways to lace them is in the strait line formation, so its like IIIII instead of the XXXX way. (hope that makes sense), the reason i say this (and it will seem like im talking out my ass here) is that say something happend to your foot and you couldn't get the boot off by simply unlacing it then you can cut the laces a lot easier.
its just the way we tell the cadets to do it. but really just go down there with them however and see how everyone else has done theirs and just copy, because you all got to be the same.

yeh my dad said it to do it this way and he was a pti (25+ years ago tho)