Boots

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I am currently breaking in my boots & all is going well but i am unsure weather i need a smaller size.

At the minute i have a 9 Medium, the length is fine but when i do the boot up i can pull the laces tight enough so the sides were the lace goe through are almost touching. basically they will not go tighter & they still feel a little loose around my foot.

i have my breifing tomorrow so i need to make my mind up about changing my boot. i was thinking a 9 small would be a better option.

what are your thoughts??

thanks for any replies.

cheers.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Basiclly, you can always leave a smaller boot looser. However it may be that you have a wide foot but a really low arch, so a small may not give you the width of sole you need.

Just a thought.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Basiclly, you can always leave a smaller boot looser. However it may be that you have a wide foot but a really low arch, so a small may not give you the width of sole you need.

Just a thought.
cool, cheers for the reply.

i am really stuck in 2 minds.... ill speak to the afco tomorrow & get their views on the matter.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cool, cheers for the reply.

i am really stuck in 2 minds.... ill speak to the afco tomorrow & get their views on the matter.
See if they can get hold of a set of the smaller boots for you to try on. Now you have your RT date I would imagine they wouldn't mind expeding some effort to help you out as a)boots are so important, and b) they know you are commited.

Another thought. . . try out some basic insoles. Might fill the boot better, although if they feel weird in use chuck them, not worth hurting your feet. You can buy simple padded flat (so they dont change to boot arch profile) from Boots for a couple of quid.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
See if they can get hold of a set of the smaller boots for you to try on. Now you have your RT date I would imagine they wouldn't mind expeding some effort to help you out as a)boots are so important, and b) they know you are commited.

Another thought. . . try out some basic insoles. Might fill the boot better, although if they feel weird in use chuck them, not worth hurting your feet. You can buy simple padded flat (so they dont change to boot arch profile) from Boots for a couple of quid.
i know i will see tomorrow.

i heard the training team dont like you to take down your own insoles... i read that on here somewhere

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i heard the training team dont like you to take down your own insoles... i read that on here somewhere
Can't advise on that one I am afraid.

Could ask my old man but his knowledge is about 20years out of step now.
:laugh:

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
cheers mate. ill just see what my afco says tomorrow.

Kentish

Reaction score
If you've got time today, pop into a local army surplus store, they'll probably have some brandnew boots you can try on, then let the AFCO know?

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you've got time today, pop into a local army surplus store, they'll probably have some brandnew boots you can try on, then let the AFCO know?
i didnt even think of that. i was popping into my local army & navy stores tomorrow anyway.

i will do this, cracking idea!

cheers mate.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I went into my local Army & Navy Military stores & they dont sell the Military boot we are issued at CTC devestated. i did tell them my situation & they did suggest a thicker sock (thickest sock *text deleted** found so far) to use. i think ill have to use that.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i got my new boots today lads & it was the right move to change them for a smaller size. if you have doubts my advise is to change tham asap.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! There's nothing worse than poorly fitting boots.

Actually, maybe poorly fitting boots and thinking you should change them whilst suffering is worse?

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! There's nothing worse than poorly fitting boots.

Actually, maybe poorly fitting boots and thinking you should change them whilst suffering is worse?
Yeah it was playing on my mind for weeks! all sorted now. Now to break them in!

Tanter

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How long have you got before you actually need them?

Best way to break them in is just wear them non-stop everywhere you go. Don't do any of the shower crap, or soaking them, just wear them as your general everyday shoes, and in no time they will be broken in.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
How long have you got before you actually need them?

Best way to break them in is just wear them non-stop everywhere you go. Don't do any of the shower crap, or soaking them, just wear them as your general everyday shoes, and in no time they will be broken in.
umm 17 days i think. Thats what im doing mate, i wouldnt do any of the stuff *text deleted** heard about showers etc.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldnt agree that soaking them is crap. I soaked them while wearing them and spent the next few days with them on while wet & they were molded brilliantly to my feet

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I wouldnt agree that soaking them is crap. I soaked them while wearing them and spent the next few days with them on while wet & they were molded brilliantly to my feet
I work in an office at the minute i dont think they would want me walking around in wet boots haha.

cheers for the advise ill just wear them everyday & break them in that way.

cheers lads

Tanter

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You could try and be Rambo and do runs in them but you risk hurting your feet and shins due to not being used to them. However press ups bend your feet, which in turn bends the boots a bit, which softens the leather, means the bridge of the boots and subtle and pliable.

On response to the shrinking, previously being a cadet, and now being staff at cadets, I have been wearing boots for about 6 years now. Soaking them merely shrinks them, and ruins the leather, giving you the idea that they fit better and are better, but then the seams begin to wear away. Mabye it works, but I have seen some nasty side effects from it.

The only real way to break boots in, is to treat it like you do with your own body. If you want to loosen up, you bend your body at the joints where you will be moving. The same applies with boots, if that part of the boot is going to be moving, then it is best that you bend that part to make that bit of the boot more able to move.

I break in new boots by walking my dog, but then again he is a laborador great dane cross, so he needs 4 long walks a day. Just to emphasise, running may wreck your legs and feet though.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You could try and be Rambo and do runs in them but you risk hurting your feet and shins due to not being used to them. However press ups bend your feet, which in turn bends the boots a bit, which softens the leather, means the bridge of the boots and subtle and pliable.

On response to the shrinking, previously being a cadet, and now being staff at cadets, I have been wearing boots for about 6 years now. Soaking them merely shrinks them, and ruins the leather, giving you the idea that they fit better and are better, but then the seams begin to wear away. Mabye it works, but I have seen some nasty side effects from it.

The only real way to break boots in, is to treat it like you do with your own body. If you want to loosen up, you bend your body at the joints where you will be moving. The same applies with boots, if that part of the boot is going to be moving, then it is best that you bend that part to make that bit of the boot more able to move.

I break in new boots by walking my dog, but then again he is a laborador great dane cross, so he needs 4 long walks a day. Just to emphasise, running may wreck your legs and feet though.
yeah fair shout but im going to have to run in them at some point arent i?

Tanter

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah fair shout but im going to have to run in them at some point arent i?
You are, but there is no point killing your feet before hand. Mabye try a few light runs before doing anything major. It is completely different on your feet due to them supporting you differently. Just because you are going to have to do a hell load of press ups doesn't mean you are going to be banging out 500 every day until then does it? You also don't want to be doing any major running in them until you have broken them in. As I said above, light runs should be fine. Your feet are going too be destroyed at CTC, so there is no point giving them a head start.

Best of luck on it mate, your miles further down the joining chain than I am. I will be keeping an eye out to see how you do. That is if you post on here.