Boots

Léngth

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Considering picking up a new set of boots, but unsure of what ones to get, tempted by Hanwag SFs or Lowas. Want them for cft and yomping type phys. Any advice would be appreciated!

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I bought Lowa Mountain boots, can't fault them at all apart from the price.

If your clothing store has Karrimor SF boots they're worth a try as well, lads seem to love them.

Léngth

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I bought Lowa Mountain boots, can't fault them at all apart from the price.

If your clothing store has Karrimor SF boots they're worth a try as well, lads seem to love them.
Cheers I'll try and find a place near me that stocks Lowas and give them a try! I've got the karrimor sf ones but they are a bit heavy for running in on CFTs

Saker1994

Reaction score
Had cheaper walking boots in the past but hardly any real surport, just bought some lowas mountain Gtx yesterday, £160 but straight away can tell the qualitys there

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Lowa Patrols. or hanwags.

Lowas are pretty heavy too, a CFT shouldn't be a problem, but A BFT you would want a light boot.

I prefer a non Goretex boot. Especially in the corps, wet and dry will just get the boot wet anyway, and it will take ages to dry out in the field. Plus it won't let the water out when it inevitably goes over the top of your boot.
And it makes your feet sweat so bad. Just normal Boots for me, polished leather and dubbing does just as good a waterproof job.

I take Goretex socks with me for drying my boots out and keeping your feet dry when doing so.

Pumber21

Matelot
Reaction score
AKU Pilgrims are meant to be one of the best on the market at the moment and have heard good reviews but never had my hands on a pair myself - may be worth a look!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Lowa's Ive found to be too heavy, hanwags I have tried in store and they are comfortable. That said, I find my Altberg Bergens to be a fantastic boot. Light enough for BFT but supportive enough for yomping.

Where are you based Length? There is a shop in Paignton which is fantastic & they know their stuff.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
AKU Pilgrims are meant to be one of the best on the market at the moment and have heard good reviews but never had my hands on a pair myself - may be worth a look!

I don't rate them, I bought a pair of AKUs, and I found the soles far too narrow compared to the boot, it was awful.

Lowa's Ive found to be too heavy, hanwags I have tried in store and they are comfortable. That said, I find my Altberg Bergens to be a fantastic boot. Light enough for BFT but supportive enough for yomping.

Where are you based Length? There is a shop in Paignton which is fantastic & they know their stuff.

Lowas are absolute monsters, but I loved the heavy boot, and support. I have a pair with Yeti Gaiters glued to them and a normal pair.
I used to have a pair of Altberg Sneakers, for camp and BFT, nice light boot. I have t used the Bergans though?

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
he sneekers are 640 gram and the bergans weigh 170 grams more than the sneekers @ size 9 but its hardly noticeable. I also have a set of Altberg Tabbing boot which weigh 597 grams @ size 8.

I started taking more interest in boot weight after the Lowa's trashed my shins after a crusty old SF medic told me my shins were U/S due to running in a set of moon boots for so long.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I quite like the Bates for bimbling around, and had no issues running in them. Haven't worn them in the field though.
I've also got some Altberg tabbing boots. Ideal for BFT and CFT, but again I haven't worn them in the field.
Best field boots I ever had were Scarpa's. Similar to the Lowas but weren't as heavy. Like Threadpigeonsalpha, I had gaiters glued on and they were hoofin. Lasted about 20 years.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose that the DMS boots, that were the only option around in my time, would be classed as crap?! Having said that, never had shin splints or any other issues, apart from the fact that if there was a puddle within 10ft my feet would be wet! And lets not talk about puttees!

Alan

Léngth

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

I'm in 45 mate but when I'm at home I'm half an hour away from dixies corner in brecon, which stock Hanwags! Think I'll pay them a visit tomorrow!

Cheers for the replies guys!