Borneo and Mt Kinablu

S

Sotiris

A few of you may have read a previous thread I started about this just before I left to begin a race which started in the jungles of Borneo and finished on the summit of Mt Kinabalu.

For those who don't know (I'd never heard of it before :dontaskme:), Mt Kinabalu is the highest mountain in South East Asia reaching 4200 metres high.

Racing up that mountain was the single most physically and mentally testing thing I have ever endured in my life. It's steep, brutal, freezing and constant.

The average time to reach the summit is 10 hours. I pushed my team so hard that we did it in 3 hours and 48 minutes. No stopping, resting, eating we just ran, scrabbled, crawled and climbed on and on. It was a brilliant exercise for me as a POC as I got to exercise a lot of leadership and motivation. The three other members of my team were females.

We came 2nd overall, in a competition with 14 teams. The team that beat us were the only all lad team in the competition. One of them is a PTI with BMF and were favourites from the beginning. They beat us by 4 points. 101 to 105. Saying that, the whole experience wasn't about the competition but the surroundings and environment itself. Borneo is a truly amazing place and the mountain is unique.

We spent 5 days living in the jungle learning jungle craft and competing in other gruelling races such as, canoeing, rafting, kayaking, biking, swimming and running, that took place in the 37 degree heat.

It has been the most intense and demanding week of my life and one that I will never forget. I strongly urge anyone who has the opportunity to travel to this country to do so.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well done, Sounds bloody good aswell, Good effort.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds fantastic! Good effort!

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
bloody hell mate , no stopping or food as u ran up !

what did u have for breakfast to keep you going ?? *text deleted*

Ben

S

Sotiris

Hehe funny you should ask. Noodles. Lots and lots of noodles! A habit that's hard to get used to for a Westerner. They eat them morning, noon and night in that place.

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
good *text deleted**text deleted* mate, to achieve that off the skin off your own back is quality. im sure you will get that green lid if you carry on like that. and i liked the way you had a competitive streak to a already hoofin task. crack on

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at doing this next year. Next year ill be 17, could i do it at that age? Sotirus if you ever do it again, ill come. I dont know how to get a team, as all the people i know are not fit *text deleted* or lazy. I prob wont go anyway unless i get a team etc.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds great! I'd like to do something like this someday, great effor Sotiris!

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats mate, that sounds hard a s *text deleted**text deleted*.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Fantastic achievment Sotiris!:applaus:

Sounds like great leadership to get everybody up there that quickly, fair play for beating so many groups, and 3hrs 48mins :blink: *text deleted*!!

Good to have you back on the forum

S

Sotiris

I was looking at doing this next year. Next year ill be 17, could i do it at that age? Sotirus if you ever do it again, ill come. I dont know how to get a team, as all the people i know are not fit *text deleted* or lazy. I prob wont go anyway unless i get a team etc.

Thanks lads!

Chicogiz, I'm not sure about the minimum age requirements, you can check that at BMF's site.

It's not something I think about doing again with BMF. Simply becuase of the financial reasons. It cost me about 2000 pounds in total to get out there. The event is 1250, flight about 550..that's the cheapest I could find. Then you've got equipment, I got all of mine for about 150. Finally the killer, vaccinations. They cost me about 300 in total.

I saved a lot of equipment because I have a lot of gear left over from the Greek army and OTC. Most of the other contestants spend about 3-400 on kit.

There are all sorts of organisations and events that go out to the jungle. Equally you could apply to BMF as an intern, dogs body. There was a kid out there who did that. No pay but he got to experience the whole thing for considerably less then we did.

Coincidentally, my OTC company are organising a trip to Belize for 3 weeks for jungle training. I'm definitely going to look into getting on that.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Ah Kota Kinabalu - spent a week there one night - got me 'ead down in the back of a bread van, demanding to be taken back to the ship - thought it was a taxi.

Convinced myself that if I could hide the 6 bottles of ale in my socks, going across the gangway, I could smuggle them back on board.

Unfortunately, they fell out half-way across. I must have looked a right *text deleted**text deleted*, trying to re-insert them, thinking nobody would notice.

S

Sotiris

Haha!

What were you doing there? You didn't get to go to Sabah did you?

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
As far as I remember, it was a quick courtesy visit - HMS Blake - I think we were only there a day or two. I mostly saw the insides of bars and vaguely remember tarrying with the odd wench in some strange houses on stilts.

There was very little exped type stuff during my time, by me anyway. Luckily for me, it was mostly one long party, meeting exotic people, in exotic places and catching embarrassing, exotic diseases.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks lads!

Chicogiz, I'm not sure about the minimum age requirements, you can check that at BMF's site.

It's not something I think about doing again with BMF. Simply becuase of the financial reasons. It cost me about 2000 pounds in total to get out there. The event is 1250, flight about 550..that's the cheapest I could find. Then you've got equipment, I got all of mine for about 150. Finally the killer, vaccinations. They cost me about 300 in total.

I saved a lot of equipment because I have a lot of gear left over from the Greek army and OTC. Most of the other contestants spend about 3-400 on kit.

There are all sorts of organisations and events that go out to the jungle. Equally you could apply to BMF as an intern, dogs body. There was a kid out there who did that. No pay but he got to experience the whole thing for considerably less then we did.

Coincidentally, my OTC company are organising a trip to Belize for 3 weeks for jungle training. I'm definitely going to look into getting on that.

Yeah saw the price on BMF its alot. This jungle training how could i get to do stuff like that. I like doing stuff like that. I also *text deleted* go to dartmoor but again who with *text deleted*.

Luke

robigunner88

Reaction score
Well done.
I used to live in Brunei and went to KK for a school trip. We went half way up the moutain and it's very impressive. I wish I had climbed it though. By the way, I believe that there is a Memorial to The Royal Marines at a place called Limbang in Sarawak which is another state in Malaysia and on the Island of Borneo.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Borneo/Limbang.htm

Although I visited Sarawak I never got the chance to visit the memorial.

New Threads