Boxing?

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
As my upperbody strength isn't all that at the moment i was just wondering what everybodys thoughts are about taking up boxing just to get my strength up?

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
not a bad idea mate but your probably better off just sticking to a real good routine and nutrition. might be a boring than boxing but atleast this way u working all the muscles u need. if u mix it a bit with some weigh training and swimming then u have the perfect combo to get upper body strength. if u need any help at all just write me a message
hope it helped a little

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Yeah i go swimming and play basketball aswell at the moment but just wanted to put something else in there aswell just to mix it up, also do body weight exercises. My diet ain't all that though, need to take in more carbs for training *text deleted* i tire out too quickly but i also need to loose the fat from my abs *text deleted* i just feel fat all the time, christ i sound like i'm vein don't i *text deleted*. Need to start counting the calories i think. Did you see how much Michael Phelps eats.... 12000 calories a day!

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
a couple excersises that have helped me loads with upper body mass and strenght are like 5 big ones.
1. bench press
2. lat pull downs
3. dumbell fly
4. military presses
5. pushups ( vital )

yeh and if u think *text deleted* diet is not spot on then try eating lots more meat mate.
go for steaks, chicken and especially fish. don't mind the calories too much, but make sure that when you eat carbs you keep it in restrictions, *text deleted* too many carbs won't help you, but you do need them.
don't worry too much about bein fat *text deleted*, abs aren't necessary but i know what u mean, in the sorta same situation. your best beat is not to forget your fruit and veggies. if you really watch your diet and i mean watch, no midnight snacks and no junk food at all, play lots of sports and do *text deleted* running that excess around *text deleted* stomach where u want *text deleted* abs to be should simply melt off mate. it won't happen instantly thats the only problem, you have to make sure you stick to that diet
oh and i'm sure a couple crunches and knees-to-chest wouldn't harm you too much.

Yeah i go swimming and play basketball aswell at the moment but just wanted to put something else in there aswell just to mix it up, also do body weight exercises. My diet ain't all that though, need to take in more carbs for training *text deleted* i tire out too quickly but i also need to loose the fat from my abs *text deleted* i just feel fat all the time, christ i sound like i'm vein don't i *text deleted*. Need to start counting the calories i think. Did you see how much Michael Phelps eats.... 12000 calories a day!

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Cheers Layden thats a great help. I think i'm just too worried abot getting fit overnight to be honest, which won't happen. Constantly plagued by the choccy machine at work, i may have to leave the purse strings at home *text deleted*.
Cheers all the same, as i said a great help.

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
oh yeh anytime mate
u got any more question just hit me upw
welcome

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Boxing will do wonders for your upper body strength, trust me on that

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Trusting someone who's location is a mental home is always the best way to go. *text deleted*

T

tricky123

i would recommend it mate, i used to do it - its not just great for upper body - the training really builds up your stamina so its definetly worth a go!

tricky

Luke023

Reaction score
not only upper body strength, fantastic for determination i found. im an experienced boxer and one thing that boxing will teach you is to keep going because if you stop in boxing your going to get hurt.

i found that mentality made it easy to keep going on the determination test

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Boxing is brilliant for all fitness, upper body and cv if you train right.
Go to a good place with instructors who knows what they are doing, and are known as good in the area, otherwise you will just waste time.

Plus they like you to do a martial art after your in so I've heard, so theres a start for one you can continue to do

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Always trust a person who's location is a mental home, trust me on that *text deleted*

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
While boxing is great, I don't really think it's the boxing that will improve your upper body strength, it's just the training you do for it. But it can be very useful, to help improve your determination and confidence (to go that bit further). If you have a coach who pushes you hard as well, with CV, circuits, skipping etc.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly right touchstone, should have reworded my post it's what I meant *text deleted*

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Boxing is a great exercise so I'd seriously consider doing it anyway. I do boxing and the training is very tough. It'll help you on your abs I can promise you that as boxers need strong abs for body blows so a lot of the time you are just doing all these different kind of ab exercises.

You also do push ups, squat thrusts, star jumps, bunny hops, skipping, shaddow boxing, bag work, pad work and after a few weeks maybe some sparing.

Honestly it all helps mate. You'll lose unwanted weight and your muscle endurance will shoot up which is very important.

Boxing also teaches you to control aggression and take pain. At first it's tough to take but you'll get use to it.

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Skipping was really killing my shins, so I had to stop doing them, its a quick way to get shin splints specially if your a heavy bloke like me

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I recently (a few months ago) took up mixed martial arts (a combo between jiu-jitsu, aikido, kick boxing and muay thai) and I have already noticed a difference in my abs, we do loads of abs exercises (My abs were fine before, could easily do the sit ups) but now they're in a whole new league. My muscle endurance in my upper body has increased, as has my strength. It's a great way to vary a workout routine. I enjoy doing the sparring as well, it's good to have that training, and get used to being hit!

Plus something like mma is flexible enough that you can learn fast, and not be too restricted by a grading system.

New Threads