braces and retainer

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey chaps. A buddy of mine was asking about this, and wonders if you can join with braces or a retainer ? He is missing a front tooth ( hockey :D ) and wears a retainer with a fake one. Is this OK ?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Orthodontic treatment usually has to be completed before you can be passed fit for entry.

In some instances, the service may be prepared to complete the final stages of treatment for a removable, rather than permanent brace. In short, yep, you guessed it....the Medical Officer is the one who makes the call.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know of anyone that wore a retainer and got in Ninja ?. Like someone that was missing teeth and wore like fake teeth ?. Sorry for all the questions, my friend just wants to know and does not have a computer.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Have to say I honestly don't know on that particular one, sorry I can't give an immediate answer, but will try to find out & post on this thread this next week.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks buddy. He just wears like a retainer. Getting the tooth replaced is like $2000 and takes 6 - 9 months. Doesn't *text deleted* wait or put the money into it.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i know someone who is in 2 Military Transport Unit based at RAF Wittering and he has a brace, but because he is in transport, this may of been allowed.

hope this helps.

will

Reaction score
a guy on my prmc was wearing a brace. and i wear a retainer from time to time

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
awesome, thanks, for that will and Commando. I'll also see what Ninja comes up with :).

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i might not understand the full aspect of the question but why would u care about a tooth which is missing ? your joining the marines not a fashion show *text deleted* (joke) :wink: :wink: good luck to your friend and i didnt mean any offence im purley bored and miserable

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh plummy, keep your head up mate !!. Yea thats what I told him, you look TOUGH without a front tooth, no one will *text deleted* with ya, but, on the other hand, no girl will *text deleted* ya either haha.

I know how you feel plummy, Im bummed out cause I hurt my knee really bad. Just crack on !.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* if a tooth is going to stop him Ty i would tell him to go somewhere else mate , nothing would stop me :D and my foot feels much better thanks good luck to you nd your friend

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
OK, the advice on this one is that false or capped teeth are usually OK, however if the retainer involves ongoing treatment, then that treatment usually needs to be completed before you can be passed fit.

FutureMarine

Reaction score
Medical/Dental

Hey everyone,

I have my interview soon and the medical will follow shortly, but I have othodontic dental braces and I would like to know if they will fail me because of this?

Many Thanks,

Mikey (RMR BRISTOL, CARDIFF)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Mikey

Welcome to the site.

The navy will not finance any ongoing orthodontic or dental treatment & the issue will probably (I'm guessing) revolve around whether it's a removable brace or fixed brace.

Either way, please DO NOT discontinue the treatment and end up with teeth like a busted piano (like I have) it's very much worth finishing the treatment whatever.

Obviously the definitive answer (sorry, a yawn I know...) is only given by the medical officer at your AFCO.

Good luck to you.

FutureMarine

Reaction score
Thanks Buddy

Thanks for the advice, and for the record they are fixed braces. The problem begin if I do need them off but choose to keep them on to finish treatment the next intake is not tell September. I wonder if a retainer to wear at night would stop them going all haywire.

Cheers Buddy,

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I wonder if a retainer to wear at night would stop them going all haywire.

Cheers Buddy,

Happy to help,

The obvious one here is to speak with your "Fang Farrier" (Orthodontist) before your medical if possible.

Good luck.

FutureMarine

Reaction score
Happy to help,

The obvious one here is to speak with your "Fang Farrier" (Orthodontist) before your medical if possible.

Well thanks just wikid i'm seeing my othodontist on monday (week before the interveiw), I think what i'l do is speak with him and get his advice and maybe ask him to write me a letter saying they will be off soon.

Thanks you were a great help =]

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have a fixed brace and I have my medical on 13 th I will tell you what he says

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
bloody he'll that was fast!! Haha I like to see people who at keen good stuff!!