brains versus brawn

lloydy08

Reaction score
how much of a career can i make out of the royal marines
the thing is i done ok in school but my brother is the brainiac and the one who is doing excellent in uni!
I've always been the fitness one though, always played sport and i am dead set on a career in the Marines
but the question being down the line
if he becomes some brainiac on £70,000 a year
will i still be his bulky brother who's not making any thing of himself.?
not saying though the royal marines isnt making anything of yourself, because i know if i get in it means im a special kind of person, like all you other fellas in there! Just money wise

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There's still the possibility of hitting £30k p/a within 5-7 years of joining the Marines which isn't to be sniffed at, down the line also there's the satisfaction of knowing you did what you wanted to do and didn't become a wage slave

In fairness, with all the benefits of service (free dental, medical) etc and the security of a lifelong career and subsidised accommodation the money you earn will stretch much further than you think

There's also that theory that the more you earn the more you spend and my brother is currently on £52k p/a and skinter than me on a monthly basis!

NELSON23

Reaction score
it doesn't matter how much you earn, most people spend any spare cash.
im signing on the now n ive got as much spare cash as i did when i was working (fcuk all basically)

y3Lo

Reaction score
i think if your after big bucks, forces is not the place to go, but like the other lads have said, you get the satisfaction in achieving passing RT, travel, medical,dental. if it's what you want to do then theres nothing else like it.
it's about job satisfaction, you could be sat in an office or something earning big bucks, thinking man i wish i had tried that?

foggers

Reaction score
lloydy, you sound like someone who was at my school. From your name, to the way you write and your description with your brother.

You at school in North Yorkshire?

But yeah, forces aren't the palce to make big money. Then again you probably won't spend it as quickly if you were in a different career. If you're on ops for 6 months you have bugger all to spend your money on, so when you get back you can either do your kitchen up or throw a party and drink until your liver fails.
Someone told me that most of their army pay went to booze and piss.

aethefox

Reaction score
just think of the adventure you will have!

besides just because your not rich doesnt mean you cant live the high life now and then : ). A marine told me he went on a ski trip to aspen 5 days all inclusive being taught how to ski by the american professionals for 50 quid!

another marine said 100 quid got him on a round the world hockey trip

Snihur84

Reaction score
Mate money isn't everything trust me on that, im a self employed electrician and earn v,good money but am willing to take a paycut because joining the marines is what i really want to do! Like other people have said u only spend what u earn whether thats £100 per week or £1000 per week just doing the job u love should be enough plus with all the perks(dental,medical,traveling the world) its actually a very good job to have! Not many people in 5-10 years time will be able to say they have done or seen the things u have! Plus with everything they can teach u in the marines and courses u can be sent on im sure you'll come out just as clever as your brother.... Well thats all down to u of course! If its something u really want to do just go for it money shouldn't effect your decision!

Good luck mate hope u go for it!

C

critchmufc

you shouldnt even be thinking about that to be honest, its easy to get clever, not to brag but im a genius...well, not a genius but you know what i mean.

i cant explain what i am trying to say anyway, you might get me, you might not

also, you only have til the age of 33 to join, and if anything, you get cleverer as you grow

im just throwing a load of random points in, make of it what you will

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Go through life, earn a bundle.

But you wont be a Royal Marine, will you?

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Chances are... Your brother won't like his job, but it will have the benefit of alot of money.

On the other hand, you will be apart of one of the most recognized forces in the world possibly earning £30,000 like someone said which is more than enough to keep you going, and all the other benefits. Plus the RM's will give you amazing life experience and confidence on a whole new level.

How about you join the RM's, come out after 10 years and become your brothers body guard??? :)

emerson88

Reaction score
To be a royal marine is a big acheivement and something to be proud of. And anyway, if you want to do it then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. Also, sucess isn't measured purely by income for a lot of people, it depends what you want out of life. There are also different types of intelligence - you may well get 10 A stars and go on to uni but you may not have any common sense, in which case you wouldn't make a royal marine!

foggers

Reaction score
Imagine working everyday from 9am - 5pm, either commuting a distance or packing onto a train along with everyone else. You will just be like everyone else, nothing too special about you. Any old sod can work behind a desk.

But it takes a whole lot more to join the armed forces, regardless what regiment or branch.

My dad told me that there quite a few people being employed from the Gulf War because they have great leadership skills and other skills that someone who hasn't served in the military hasn't. If you can lead or be part of a team that faces a life and death situation, then what's trying to make a deal worth lots of money to you?

The first part is one of the reasons I'm joining the military. Would hate to work in an office job....

At least go for something like a 3 or 4 year comission. If you don't enjoy it, it's only been 3 or 4 years and you will be highly sought after with the skills you have picked up in the forces. Then again, you may end up enjoying the forces life even more.