Brave Ben gets just £161000 payout - Western Morning News

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
it is a disgrace how much he got compared to the footballer and the person that injured her thumb :nunu:

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'v never felt physically sick from reading something before, I mean really?! The RAF typist got compensation near half a million for RSI, and he gets an arm and a leg blown of and gets less than 150k? *sigh*

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Typist really shoulda learnt to type properly.

Disgusting compensation for people with real injuries and who have sacrificed everything for their country.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Something to think about lads and this is quite controversial. You join the armed forces knowing that you risk being shot, maimed or killed.
A typist joins the MOD and expects certain European health and safety laws to be met. If she gets RSI that's the MODs fault for not adhering to those laws.
Getting your legs blown off by a landmine isn't the MODs fault.

The case of the typist is an isolated incident, it's not happening every month. Soldiers however are prone to such injuries on a regular basis.

Whilst I have every sympathy for the victims, I think some of you seriously need to consider that these guys knew the risks surrounding their jobs in the same way you lads understand the risks in joining the RM.

I don't mean to piss anyone off but stop reading tabloids! They're designed to make you emotional without representing the facts. That's how they sell!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Something to think about lads and this is quite controversial. You join the armed forces knowing that you risk being shot, maimed or killed.
A typist joins the MOD and expects certain European health and safety laws to be met. If she gets RSI that's the MODs fault for not adhering to those laws.

The case of the typist is an isolated incident, it's not happening every month. Soldiers however are prone to such injuries on a regular basis.

Whilst I have every sympathy for the victims, I think some of you seriously need to consider that these guys knew the risks surrounding their jobs in the same way you lads understand the risks in joining the RM.

I don't mean to piss anyone off but stop reading tabloids! They're designed to make you emotional without representing the facts. That's how they sell!

I see what you mean,
but I think one of the issues is that his compensation is a long way off the highest amount that can be given,
who decided that losing an arm and a leg,
aswell as having other injuries,
is no where near the top of the scale?

Joe

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but losing both your legs and an arm is not the same as say, that para who is now brain damaged and wheel chair bound who will require permanent care for the rest of his life. You see where I'm going with this?

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

I see what you mean but I don't think knowing the risks before it happened helps pay for all the care you need after, ..last time I checked.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

good post completely agree.

DamageInc85

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that Ben McBean epitomises the RM ethos 'Cheerfulness in the face of adversity'. He's been in the papers and on TV quite a bit over the last few months and he's always got a smile on his face.
Forget your prima donna soccer players and coke head musicians, here is a guy displaying the right attitude and a proper role model for young and old alike.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
RSI can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect posture whilst typing.
Can't instantly say the MoD didn't adhere to standards when thousands of others arn't getting such injuries, yet she did.

Hell, amount of bollocks i write and amount of time i game, i'm probably lucky not to have it (yes my wasd buttons are faded :blink1:)

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Goes to show how the people in power really care about the wounded. Hope to god it doesn't happen to you. If there is one.

New Threads