Breaking my boots in

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i started breaking my boots in.... :sad2:eek:uch!! i went on a wal in the last night & *text deleted** got them on in work today. heels are killing at the minute!! also when i walk the boots squeak and rub, doesn anybody else get this?

any suggestions on how to make it easier are more than welcome...

cheers.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Old wives tale is wear them in something like a steam room and keep them on after till they dry. Apparently softens the leather a bit and helps them mould to your feet a bit better, reduces hot spots etc.

Dont take it to the extreme and wear them in the bath *text deleted* this is likely to ruin them.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Old wives tale is wear them in something like a steam room and keep them on after till they dry. Apparently softens the leather a bit and helps them mould to your feet a bit better, reduces hot spots etc.

Dont take it to the extreme and wear them in the bath *text deleted* this is likely to ruin them.
yeah i have read a few things like stand in hot water in the bath over your ankle & then go walking in the until they are dry!!

i think im just going to wear them as much as i can & polish them. i got a few walks planned up brecon so ill be wearing them then.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Wear them in a hot shower then walk in them until dry (remember to get dressed first).

Walk in long, wet grass.

Wear them all the time, despite looking like a gypsie in the supermarket.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You'll hear all sorts of whacky ideas involving urine, hot pebbles, chicken bones, filling them with the contents a witch-doctors ju-ju bag & wear them whilst riding a space-hopper. Amazingly they all claim it works wonders. It usually rots the stitching, sets them alight or eats the leather, mind.

All you need do is let them get wet, dry naturally, keep applying boot polish & leaving it to soak in overnight, then walking in them daily.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You'll hear all sorts of whacky ideas involving urine, hot pebbles, chicken bones, filling them with the contents a witch-doctors ju-ju bag & wear them whilst riding a space-hopper. Amazingly they all claim it works wonders. It usually rots the stitching, sets them alight or eats the leather, mind.

All you need do is let them get wet, dry naturally, keep applying boot polish & leaving it to soak in overnight, then walking in them daily.
ok, also they are very noisy when i walk with all the squeaking & rubbing. will this stop? at the moment i am walking through my office and everyone is looking at me!! haha

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
wear them whilst riding a space-hopper.
Someone genuinely once told me that riding a space hopper was the best thing for preventing ankle injury. . . . worrying thing was, he wasn't taking the mikkey and actually belived this.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
ok, also they are very noisy when i walk with all the squeaking & rubbing. will this stop? at the moment i am walking through my office and everyone is looking at me!! haha
Yep, make sure you lace them firmly, the squeaking eventually stops after they've got wet a few times - if not check whether you brothers' gerbil is missing from its cage.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:bud: I have this image of a bunch of Marines riding into battle on space hoppers!

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yep, make sure you lace them firmly, the squeaking eventually stops after they've got wet a few times - if not check whether you brothers' gerbil is missing from its cage.
cheers for that ninja. ill re-lace them now & make sure they are tighter etc.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
:bud: I have this image of a bunch of Marines riding into battle on space hoppers!
Havn't you heard. . . . . A new addition to bottom field after the 100 and 200 meter firemans carry there is now a 400m spacehopper timed event.

Many recurits are falling at this hurdle not being used to the heavier weight "grenade proof" space hoppers as opposed to the lighter weight ones they have practised on.