Breaking the seal

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by News, Aug 14, 2017.

1. News

News RSS Feed

Why Catholic priests say they cannot break confession rules, even in the case of child abuse claims.

Continue reading...

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

An interesting topic for an AIB. According to the article the penitent believes they are confessing to God with the priest acting as intermediary, but with the power to forgive on god's behalf.

All well and good until one considers who invented this particular god and wrote the rules regarding confession. They may believe the Pope is God's Rep, but I'm fairly sure the Pope is a bloke rather than a divine entity.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

"Surely priests would have a moral duty - if not a legal one - to report any concerns, in order to protect children?

Archbishop Mark Coleridge of Brisbane appeared to recognise that it can be hard for non-Catholics to understand why this is not the case:
    "

Not only non-Catholics. As one thoroughly indoctrinated by the Roman Catholic church since birth I reject the notion that the dogma of any religion should ever take priority over the welfare of humans. Particularly the vulnerable.
    Makes me cross. No pun intended. Mea culpa.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rover

Rover Moderator

Pax vobiscum.;)

A dark suite and a Dog Collar, no pun intended, and people can be so trusting.:cool:

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

An interesting one, wonder if anyone has ever confessed to having a thing for killing priests and how those same rule lasts :eek:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Wasn't that one of the things the Dan Brown book, Da Vinci Code threw into the mix?

7. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Genuinely not sure, never read the book or seen the film.