Breast stroke

reid81

Reaction score
I have a screwkick apparently and its well annoying. I have to go fully under the water to get a decent coordinated stroke while all the grannies have their heads above the water havin a chinwag.
Any breast stroke experts??

Sirlooney

Reaction score
Your head should go slightly under the water as you push your arms farwards and starting to finish your kick off. Then you use your arms to push yourself out of the water so you can take some breath.

In relation to your screwkick first of all borrow a kickboard from the pool so you can just focus on your kick. your heels come up almost to your arse and then make an effort to turn your feet out so your toes are pointing towards the oppersite sides of the pool and then start and finish the kick. Then once you think you got the hang of it employ it into your main stroke.

If you need more help than this just send another post and ill try n find out from excerises for you, cant find my teachers notes at the moment never mind:)

good luck :)

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have a screwkick apparently and its well annoying. I have to go fully under the water to get a decent coordinated stroke while all the grannies have their heads above the water havin a chinwag.
Any breast stroke experts??
i'm no expert mate, but a lot of swimmers have screwkick, try practicing your kick whilst treading water it helped me. to do breast stroke most efficiently you should spend half of the stroke under water anyway.

here:
forum thread about screw kick
http://www.swimclub.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-4643.html
article about it
http://www.artofswimming.com/page.aspx?p=swimright

reid81

Reaction score
cheers gents, superb
i probably shouldnt be tryin to copy the grannies now i think about it haha

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is it wrong if I still laugh at that name?
You immature git. *text deleted*.

I guessing the reason why its called breast stroke is because women have breasts to add weight to their front to help balance... so women swim in breast stroke better?

Probably a bad theory *text deleted*. its late and my mind is messed up *text deleted*.

M

MTW

*text deleted* mate, i dont think they really care about the technicalities or whatever, as long as you can keep your head above water and move at pace you will be alright, if you bust out with a full on olympic breast stroke with your head underwater all the time and *text deleted**text deleted* they would probably not like it.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
join a swimming club, you cant go wrong then. Shouldn't cost a lot either.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i may sound like an idiot. but whats a screwkick?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
it's bascically where one leg kicks breast stroke kick and the other kind of does a front crawl kick crossed with a breast stroke kick. makes your body twist slightly in the water.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ah thats ok then.. i dont do that XD

chris1988

Reaction score
reid, you are suppose to go underwater when swimming breaststroke, it also helps with timing of the stroke, those grannys whos heads are above the water for a chin wag, well thats y they do that and also to keep their perms dry. *text deleted* if you need any more help guys, qualified swim teacher here!!