Brilliant chat with Royal Marine

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I had my first decent chat with my next door neighbour yesterday since starting my application.

He is a serving Royal, passed out in December of last year, got sent straight to 40 but has just been moved from 40 to 42 (not by choice) and has been to Afghanistan once already with 40 and due to go back in Jan with 42 to join a fighting unit on Herrick.

He actually got to week 20 and few years ago and had to leave for personal reasons, but then re-joined in April last year and passed out in 32 weeks.

He actually said RT isn't anywhere near as hard as its made out to be, just lots and lots of yomping and if there isn't anything on they just get you doing press ups, or they mess up all your stuff and kit and leave you for the next few hours frantically sorting it all out again for inspection!

He said once you pass out life gets so much easier straight away.

He said there is a lot of down time to do pretty much what you want and that its usual to be finished on a Friday before 12:00!

I spoke to him over a couple beers for about 4 hours and just attacked him with question after question!!

He is a really good bloke and I learned so much from him.

Anyone got any questions about life after training I may be able to answer them.

He said a typical day is,

Role call at 08.20
Down time (some people go back to bed, some go for a run)
Lecture 11.30 (for 1 – 2 hours)
Scran (lunch) at around 13.00 – 14.00
Phys 14.00 for about 1 – 2 hours.
End of day.

He said there could be even less than that to do, in which case you are expected to keep yourself occupied by using the gym or going for a run etc,

or there could be a lot lot more to do and you could be busy non stop all day till about 19.00 with about 4 hours of phys in there somewhere.

Again, any questions, I may have asked the same one.

He didn't get any rounds off in Afghanistan which he was disappointed about, they all just did lots and lots of patrolling and searching for IED's.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats a lot of phys *text deleted*

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thats a lot of phys *text deleted*
Yea, he said if you haven't had much phys for a while, or you have some kind of joint exercise coming up or something big, you get a lot of phys, often all day, but in the form of sports, games etc

They also try to get you to join clubs, teams, gym comps etc so that you are always doing phys.

Compulsary phys isn't all that much, especially compared with RT but if you don't keep it up yourself it will soon show and you will look like a d1ck head!

Luckily running is his thing and he reckons he smashes half marathons once or twice a week!

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the post life after RT sounds better than I thought it would be :bigsmile:

Sorry if this sounds daft but do you know if he went through any kind of initiation when he joined his commando unit?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for the post life after RT sounds better than I thought it would be :bigsmile:

Sorry if this sounds daft but do you know if he went through any kind of initiation when he joined his commando unit?
No I don't know I'm afraid. He is a pretty large guy though and really friendly so I wouldn't have thought so. I don't really think you can get away with it these days!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers matt, cracking post mate (for a change....*text deleted*)

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I had a question.. but now I've forgot, fukken useless I am. I'll remember....

Ghod70

Reaction score
Aye mate, theres no better info than what you can get from the guys who've really been there. I work in a bar in a hotel and I've met a few former Navy and Marines, as well as an ex army PTI. They were really helpful for info and advice when I was thinking of sending away my application. Especially the PTI, I sat for about 2 and a half hours talking to him I think, well after shutting time and the bar got left a mess since I didn't clean it *text deleted* I was so interested in what he had to say. If anyone has the access to someone who's been there you should definetly listen to every bit of advice they have for you.

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaagh me dad just got back from spain and met a guy from the navy in ther..
i rang the bloke up, this is what he had to say amongst other things;

'I work on one of the HMS obviously and the marines on there are phenominal, the do basically next to nothing, just sunbathe and weightlift and occassionally clean their rifals. Guards will walk past mistaking them for common crew and scream at them to do something which they usually respond with rolling up their tops, pointing at the dagger and shaking their head.. (thought was rather amusing and impressive)
When unknown vessels are spotted, the marines go on straight away and just annialate anything unwanted sort of thing... He said they went costal diving in egypt and where the navy blokes were jumping off the normal base platform, the marines were climbing up the masts and carrying bins up.. then doing all sorts of insane acrobatics from the top to see who could do the most dangerous, crazy jump... he described them with the upmost repect and said there all a bunch of F*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* looonaticsss.... :rock:

it was a hell of an extra ego boost to hear how much he and all the rest of them rate marines..

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
F*text deleted**text deleted** lunatics... Classic

cant wait till i am one:rock:

Cheers to all the F en Lunatics

Tom

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
F*text deleted**text deleted** lunatics... Classic

cant wait till i am one:rock:

Cheers to all the F en Lunatics

Tom
Yea, it just makes you *text deleted* be there and jump off from higher than anyone else!

HR

Reaction score
Im quite surprised that he didnt get any rounds down in Afghan (not saying hes lying) as I know that some elements of 40 commando got massive amounts of action especially those a FOB's such as Inkerman.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Im quite surprised that he didnt get any rounds down in Afghan (not saying hes lying) as I know that some elements of 40 commando got massive amounts of action especially those a FOB's such as Inkerman.
I don't think he was in a fighting unit as such.

When you go over there you are all drafted into different roles, logistics, support, patrol, attack, recon, etc.

You can be drafted into logistics for example even if you are General Purpose, you just help out on various non trade specific tasks.

He is going out to Afghan in Jan. He is General purpose but says he thinks he is being put on logistics for the first part of the tour and then being put into a fighting unit.

This is how I understand it works anyway.

On his last tour he just did a lot of patrolling and liaising with local authorities and keeping the peace with the locals.

He said you just 'Bimble' really slow and you are always on highest alert for Impovised devices, he said he saw mirror flashes coming from rooftops and hill sides which is the Taliban communicating with each other and telling each other about the patrols movements.

He said if there looked to be a significant danger of contact or comprimise on the patrol they were to evac immedietly as they were not there to fight. You are only supposed to actively engage if thats the mission you are on.

It's very complicated and don't get me started on the rules of engagement!!

If you are driving supplies for example from one place to another, and you see someone you KNOW 100% is Taliban, you are still not allowed to fire on them unless they fire at you, and thats at you, not up into the air.