British American wanting to joIn

RM future.

Reaction score
So I was born in the UK and moved to the USA in 2001. I am a British citizen living in the USA. I am 25 so I'm not that close to the cut off limit. I will get American citizenship in about a week so I will be a dual citizen. British citizen and an American citizen. What do I need to do specifically to join the Royal Marines as other ranks commando? I have read through he American thread. How long am I looking at for a wait time? From initial application to RT? I'm hoping some forms can be filled out online and when I'm in the UK the process of recruit test, medical, RMAD, PJFT and PRMC can all be grouped fairly closely. I do have relatives that i can stay with. Hopefully Ninja Stoker can chime in. Thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome.

You'll need a residency waiver to gain security clearance, so prior to travelling to UK you need a letter from the US military to confirm you are not liable for service in the US military now that you will be a US citizen with dual nationality. The reason for this is that if you join the Royal Marines, you cannot be released in times of crisis to serve in another country.

To speed things up with regard security clearance a recent 'Police Check' print-out to confirm you have no unspent criminal convictions will shorten the waiting period.

If you plan ahead & contact your chosen AFCO several months in advance of your intended trip to UK, it's possible they maybe prepared to condense the Recruiting Test, Medical Examination, PJFT, selection interview & "pre-
book" a PRMC so that your stay time is minimised.

There's no guarantee they will do this. The last long-distance 'chimp' I arranged this for managed to fail his PJFT, the one before was woefully inadequately prepared & failed the recruiting test, so I'd certainly need some convincing to consider pre-booking everything in advance.

The average UK-based applicant takes around 9-12 months from Recruiting Test to Recruit Training, but the delay is usually self-inflicted due to inadequate preparation or injury. One of my current candidates passed the Recruiting Test in Feb & has his PRMC next month.

Most overseas applicants come over to UK, complete all elements of selection then travel "home" before commencing Recruit Training, but it's entirely feasible, with forward planning, to pass PRMC & start Recruit Training in less than a month if you are locally based, fully security cleared & willing to join with less than a week's notice.

The advice is contact the overseas desk at London AFCO, confirm eligibility, then get in touch with the AFCO best suited, http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-To-Join/Careers-Offices

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
where abouts in america are you mate?
Im doing a similar thing, im 25, living in arizona, heading back to the uk in january ish to get cracking. No citizenship *text deleted**, just a greencard, been here a year

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
To follow-on from Ninja's post:

What do I need to do specifically to join the Royal Marines as other ranks commando?
A broad question (pun not intended). As for overseas specific, unless things have changed quite a bit, the advice I would give you is: There is nothing terribly unique to an overseas applicant. You either already have or will have to sign up for the Selective Service; you will need to get that letter of non-liability through them (as mentioned in the US thread). You will need your relatives to forward a letter of acknowledgement, stating that you will be staying with them during the recruiting process (your AFCO or the Overseas desk should explain). Your security clearance may take a little bit longer, but don't get too worried about that--it should not be as bad as you think (at least it wasn't for me). The only hang-up I experienced was having to fill out an extra financial questionnaire, but again, it wasn't a problem. That's pretty much the extent of it for being overseas; the rest should be the exact same as a UK-based applicant.

How long am I looking at for a wait time? From initial application to RT? I'm hoping some forms can be filled out online and when I'm in the UK the process of recruit test, medical, RMAD, PJFT and PRMC can all be grouped fairly closely.
As explained in the US thread, I spent 5 months from start (arrival in the UK) to "finish". Had I requested an immediate spot (i.e. short-notice start date due to vacancies), it probably could have been quicker. Through whomever you apply, you should expect to be mailed a collection of forms to complete and return before your arrival. Beyond that, there is nothing else you can do with the recruiting process other than to prepare yourself. Definitely spend that interim wisely, mentally and physically.

You will find that your British Citizenship will help ease things immensely.

RM future.

Reaction score
I live in TN. For the guys who live in the states. How long are in the process? To usmc 2lt why did you decide to try to join the RM?

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
To usmc 2lt why did you decide to try to join the RM?
Manifold number of reasons. To enact my gratitude for the British being a stalwart and reliable ally; a unique opportunity to do something that nobody I knew had ever done; to fight for a country I love and respect (which conveniently served the interests of BOTH the US and UK); to find satisfaction in myself for doing something commendable; and to go on a grand adventure. More or less.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
a unique opportunity to do something that nobody I knew had ever done; to fight for a country I love and respect (which conveniently served the interests of BOTH the US and UK); to find satisfaction in myself for doing something commendable; and to go on a grand adventure. More or less.
Couldn't think of a better answer than the one you just gave.

:applaus:

RM future.

Reaction score
Ninja stoker, where are you based out of? Feel free to send me a message if that question is op sec. I have the option to be in London or Glasgow when I come over but if you could take me I'd go to where yiu are since you have processed overseas applicants before. What do you need on the recruiting test % wise to get in? I'm assuming there is a minimum score and the score that you guys want? If I came over in the middle of may if things had been arranged before or say June, would I be looking at a 3-4 month wait time from recruit test to recruit training assuming I passed everything and there were no snags?

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
How does the application process differ if you try for officer?
It's a much more cerebral route, being perhaps the biggest difference. Fitness requirements are, of course, more demanding as well.

In essence, the process is the same, but you are the one dictating the course of events (i.e. your initiative makes more of a difference). For example, travelling to Lympstone isn't a matter of receiving tickets and an itinierary which you blindly follow; you receive the travel voucher, choose the train, date, and time and take care of it yourself. Yeah, actually pretty simple on the face of it, but just a small indicator that YOU are the one making the decisions. Also, you'll have to go into much greater RN/RM material depth; have a thorough understanding of current issues and events and be able to intelligently/eloquently disucss such matters; display effective peer leadership; and will need to go over some basic mathematics related to speed-distance-time and tactical (r.e. intelligent) decision making. Besides the "extra" element of the Admiralty Interview Board portion, the steps are essentially the same. Alas, I haven't been on a POC or AIB, so I can't offer more than that.

Festus

Reaction score
I want to join the Royal Navy (question)

Well I am 17 and want to join up in 2-3 years, but i'm not sure what the basic requirements are.

I live in America at the moment but my family will be moving to England soon, after my citizenship is made i want to join the Navy.

The main thing is i have not graduated high school (i think it is something different in UK) but do i need to graduate to join the Royal Navy? or any other branch?

thanks for any help!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome, thread merged.

No formal qualifications required, but you must hold a British or Commonwealth passport.

Cruzby

Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker, I am in the Australian Army currently serving on operations overseas, when i return home i want to join the Royal Marines. Is it possible for me to join even though i have never lived in the UK?

RM future.

Reaction score
I put the initial application online in on the royal navy website for the royal marknes about a week ago. How long am I looking at before I hear back? Wil I get an info pack sent out? I did the initial RM officer application about 3 years ago and all my educational qualifications from the USA was assed by the recruitment staff, I have enough points to go for officer and I meet all the requirements so what would be next? I'm assuming I would need to resend all educational qualifications back over? Ninja Stoker can you confirm this please?