British Army or Royal Marines

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Evening everyone.

I hope you are all doing well in your training, application or just your every day life.

So I have been on this site for a good few years now and it has helped form me into already a better version of myself from before. The people on this site are top notch and I will never forget how I was welcomed into the community. I have had some odd moments on the site and certainly some odd moments off the site in my personal life but this site has always been a good place to be. I want to thank everyone who took the time to help!

So I have been stuck in the same place for a long time. Very little progress, poor results, and what not. That has largely been down to trying to figure out what I actually want to do!

For the longest time I have been fighting with myself and my family regarding what route I will go. I have spent a lot of time convincing myself and everyone else that I am joining the Royal Marines, and yet I am still in the same position as I was nearly a year ago when I left the landscaping job for the delightful world of retail.

Before I was landscaping I tried and nearly succeeded in joining the Irish Army, but alas, I simply don't meet the eyesight standards. I am however, eligible for the British Armed Forces.

So here is the choice. Do I join the Royal Marines, or do I join the British Army? More specifically, the Royal Irish Guards.

I have decided after a long time of worrying, arguing and holding myself back and wasting time, that I will go in a different direction, and join the Royal Irish Guards. I have many reasons, like the fact that I have had a number of family members in the Royal Irish Guards and I want to conycont the tradition. I have also been taught to protect and defend myself and my family all my life, and I would love to be able to do my part in not just defending, but also protecting, and who better to protect than the Royal Family? I am Irish but I have always been interested in the Royal Family.

I absolutely love the Royal Marines. To my core, because even though I have never applied or met a Royal Marines Commando, the Royal Marines have made my life better in so many ways. I am certainly not looking for an easy way out, and I don't consider the Royal Irish Guards to be an easy way out. If I wanted an easy way out I would work toward a manager role in my delightful supermarket and live a safe, civilian job.

I still intend on training as if I was training to join the Royal Marines, in the case that some day I might decide on that route. I still intend to live my life through Commando Spirit, or at least what I have been able to bring forth in terms of Commando Spirit. I will continue to cultivate and breed my State of Mind, because it has become such a big part of my life it would be counterproductive and stupid to stop.

So here we are, it has been a long time and it has been a hard decision but I am happy with my choice. I will continue to be a part of this site and I will let you all know how things are going.

I want you all to know how grateful I am to you all for sharing in the dream and to you my Brothers and Sisters in the Fight, even though I have never met you, and probably never will, I am always behind you. I wish you all the very best of luck in your aspirations and goals.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's always nice to receive positive feedback and we are here to help, but...

Assuming you meet the eyesight standards for entry into the Royal Marines, why has it taken 2.5 years and 737 posts to reach your current stage of indecision?

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's always nice to receive positive feedback and we are here to help, but...

Assuming you meet the eyesight standards for entry into the Royal Marines, why has it taken 2.5 years and 737 posts to reach your current stage of indecision?

When I first decided I wanted to have a military career, I was 18 and clueless. I was angry at nearly breaking up with my girlfriend and needed to get away so hey, why not join the military. But I didn't really want to, I felt like I needed to out of anger.

It has taken this long because I needed the life experience to get to where I am now. In a position to think about things rationally and with reason, as opposed to with emotion. It has never worked because it has never been right and I have been holding myself back. Yes, a lot of time has been wasted, for what?

But this is a real decision and it is backed up by 2.5 years of mucking around and trying and learning.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Evening everyone.

I hope you are all doing well in your training, application or just your every day life.

So I have been on this site for a good few years now and it has helped form me into already a better version of myself from before. The people on this site are top notch and I will never forget how I was welcomed into the community. I have had some odd moments on the site and certainly some odd moments off the site in my personal life but this site has always been a good place to be. I want to thank everyone who took the time to help!

So I have been stuck in the same place for a long time. Very little progress, poor results, and what not. That has largely been down to trying to figure out what I actually want to do!

For the longest time I have been fighting with myself and my family regarding what route I will go. I have spent a lot of time convincing myself and everyone else that I am joining the Royal Marines, and yet I am still in the same position as I was nearly a year ago when I left the landscaping job for the delightful world of retail.

Before I was landscaping I tried and nearly succeeded in joining the Irish Army, but alas, I simply don't meet the eyesight standards. I am however, eligible for the British Armed Forces.

So here is the choice. Do I join the Royal Marines, or do I join the British Army? More specifically, the Royal Irish Guards.

I have decided after a long time of worrying, arguing and holding myself back and wasting time, that I will go in a different direction, and join the Royal Irish Guards. I have many reasons, like the fact that I have had a number of family members in the Royal Irish Guards and I want to conycont the tradition. I have also been taught to protect and defend myself and my family all my life, and I would love to be able to do my part in not just defending, but also protecting, and who better to protect than the Royal Family? I am Irish but I have always been interested in the Royal Family.

I absolutely love the Royal Marines. To my core, because even though I have never applied or met a Royal Marines Commando, the Royal Marines have made my life better in so many ways. I am certainly not looking for an easy way out, and I don't consider the Royal Irish Guards to be an easy way out. If I wanted an easy way out I would work toward a manager role in my delightful supermarket and live a safe, civilian job.

I still intend on training as if I was training to join the Royal Marines, in the case that some day I might decide on that route. I still intend to live my life through Commando Spirit, or at least what I have been able to bring forth in terms of Commando Spirit. I will continue to cultivate and breed my State of Mind, because it has become such a big part of my life it would be counterproductive and stupid to stop.

So here we are, it has been a long time and it has been a hard decision but I am happy with my choice. I will continue to be a part of this site and I will let you all know how things are going.

I want you all to know how grateful I am to you all for sharing in the dream and to you my Brothers and Sisters in the Fight, even though I have never met you, and probably never will, I am always behind you. I wish you all the very best of luck in your aspirations and goals.

You are overthinking it.

Answer this simple question:

Do you want a green beret and to be able to call yourself a Commando?

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You are overthinking it.

Answer this simple question:

Do you want a green beret and to be able to call yourself a Commando?

I would love to, and some day I might. Right now I think I have to focus on a different direction and I will probably end up moving back to the Royal Marines once I get somewhere.

Thank you for that.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The obvious answer is to apply for whatever appeals and see how far you get.

After this length of time, it would be disappointing to discover you may not complete selection for reasons beyond your control.

If you pass selection for the Royal Marines, you have a 70% chance of achieving success in training.

If you don't apply, you'll never know and if you complete selection you can make an informed decision whether or not to join.

There's no obligation to join after passing selection and you still have six months to opt out if you do join.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I would love to, and some day I might. Right now I think I have to focus on a different direction and I will probably end up moving back to the Royal Marines once I get somewhere.

Thank you for that.

I can tell you now, the chances of that are very slim to none.
And it’s pointless. Once you complete RT, you will not want to go back and do RT again.
Why work up the ladder to rejoin and be back at square 1?

I have a few mates that used every excuse going to join other branch’s instead of the marines saying they will join the marines after doing X or Y with a different branch.

None of them have done it.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Go for the Royal Marines first, if that doesn't work out go for the Irish Guards (no Royal in the regiment's name, by the way)

TPA is right, chances are you wont want to go through RT again after having gone through infantry training. A lad from the forum was in the Army, left, then became a RM but it's pretty rare. He didn't come from an infantry background either.

You can achieve great things in both, but as cliche as it sounds, follow your heart;)

I'm in the Coldstream Guards so any questions just fire away.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score

Thank you for that.
You'd love to be a Royal Marine, but somehow feel it's beyond your reach, and are taking what you consider a more viable option. You can bluff your way out of joining the Royal Marines all you like, if your state of mind is such that you feel the Royal Marines Is beyond you, then maybe you will be found wanting in training for the Irish Guards. Infantry training is no mean feat! It's still 26 weeks of hard work.

If you want my honest view! Put your hand down your undercrackers! Check for presence of testicles, and start believing in yourself! Nothing is impossible, all you need is the courage and grit to believe in yourself!!

It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as sheep!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20902

I’ve heard of the Royal Irish regiment and Irish Guards but not sure where your getting this Royal Irish Guards from.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
....but you are thinkng of joining them nonetheless?

Yes, it was the only other option I even considered when I went to learn about the British Armed Forces. I can understand why I am being encouraged to keep going with the Royal Marines, and I absolutely mean no disrespect. Who knows what will come about. You could say I am going for both.

My dilemma is that I have been learning how to go about it for the past few years and I am still far behind where I should be. I can't waste another three years mucking around and still not make the grade. I have to refocus and I have to try something else, instead of expecting the same result.

I can't waste any more time because even though I am still only 22, I feel like I should have been there by now. I'm anxious that if I stay in my job any longer than another year, the dream will die altogether and I will give in for good.

I'm not here to disrespect and cause waves. You know yourself that I have been up and down and never fully in but never really out in my time here. I can't deny that I just don't feel like it is for me, at this point in my life at least, and I have spent a lot of time forcing myself to feel like it is.

When the time comes to move toward the Royal Marines again you can be sure it will be at full throttle. Right now, I have to do something else.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it was the only other option I even considered when I went to learn about the British Armed Forces. I can understand why I am being encouraged to keep going with the Royal Marines, and I absolutely mean no disrespect. Who knows what will come about. You could say I am going for both.

My dilemma is that I have been learning how to go about it for the past few years and I am still far behind where I should be. I can't waste another three years mucking around and still not make the grade. I have to refocus and I have to try something else, instead of expecting the same result.

I can't waste any more time because even though I am still only 22, I feel like I should have been there by now. I'm anxious that if I stay in my job any longer than another year, the dream will die altogether and I will give in for good.

I'm not here to disrespect and cause waves. You know yourself that I have been up and down and never fully in but never really out in my time here. I can't deny that I just don't feel like it is for me, at this point in my life at least, and I have spent a lot of time forcing myself to feel like it is.

When the time comes to move toward the Royal Marines again you can be sure it will be at full throttle. Right now, I have to do something else.

Mate in all honesty, it sounds abit x factor sob story here.

Do you want to join? If so, do it. The standards for selection are out there to see. Prepare correctly and what's the issue? Many others have managed it.
Plenty of help available here, just make a decision.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion you need to take a step back and make a decision you will 100% commit to.

Being indecisive leads to a “wishy washy” attitude and when things get tough in training then you’ll risk crash and burning.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion you need to take a step back and make a decision you will 100% commit to.

Being indecisive leads to a “wishy washy” attitude and when things get tough in training then you’ll risk crash and burning.

Maybe you are right.

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

You shouldn’t be forcing yourself to do it, if you have doubts and aren’t 100% committed then it’s not the right option in my opinion.
When you say you’re not where you should be, I’m guessing you’re on about fitness? There’s plenty on this forum that will help prep you, as you know.
If you just don’t feel like it’s for you, maybe you’ve got you’re answer? Or is that a lack of confidence?
If you want it, just do it! Otherwise you’ll regret it for the rest of your life thinking what could’ve been. If you fall short of the mark or decide in RT that it’s not for you, at least you had the balls to give it a crack.
Make a decision. Stick with it. And smash it.

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you join the army with the intention of the marines later dont
Trust me once you go through itc you wont want to be treated like a recruit again.
Itc is obviously easier but still dont go at it half hearted i still remember seeing people crying breaking down first week and some desperate for the daor window to open.

If you are stuck between marines and army have you thought of a role with a commando attachment? Like 29 commando ra for example

New Threads