British Citizen Abroad

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Lurch, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Lurch

Lurch Member

Hey guys,
    I am a complete British Citizen (both parents are British and I have a British passport). I lived there for 9 years but moved to Spain and have lived here since. I am thinking of applying around May time, and I was wondering about how it would all take place. I heard from someone that it may be possible to do the Naval Service Recruiting Test, interview, medical and fitness in about the space of a week to save paying for flights and having to go back and forth. Could anyone give me some insight on this please?
    Much appreciated,
    Lurch

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

There is no mandated requirement to condense the selection process for overseas applicants and in truth it's a high risk strategy booking a series of selection elements in advance because if the individual falls at the first hurdle, as frequently happens, the pre-booked places go to waste and still get charged. By way of example I know of a New Zealand applicant who flew over and failed the recruit test outright. Twice.

The way to go about it is to apply online, declaring your overseas address. Then establish communications via email with the overseas desk at London AFCO to confirm eligibility and advise of your intended arrival in uk: NAVYCNR-RFFGLSEOVERSEAS@MOD.GOV.UK

Once this is confirmed London AFCO will then hand you to the most convenient AFCO to undergo selection and book your recruit test. You can then establish comms with the processing AFCO to see if they are prepared to pre-book your Recruit Test, interview, medical, fitness test and prmc. The sticking point can often be the medical as your medical questionnaire needs to be completed and checked, together with an eyetest undertaken before a medical can be booked. If there are medical queries, there can be significant delays.

In addition you will need a residency waiver and cannot join until Security Clearance (SC) is granted (overseas applicants can sometimes wait several months for SC) and often overseas applicants return to their country of residence after passing prmc whilst they wait for SC.

Best of luck.

• Seen Seen x 1
  3. Mr S

Mr S Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just out of interest, how would it work if one of the parents was a serving member of the forces posted accompanied overseas? Would the applicant still have to get a residency waiver and SC or are they classed as still being on UK soil?

4. Ninja_Stoker

If one or other parent is on UK Government service overseas and the son/daughter under age 18 a residency waiver is not required.

5. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Sorry to reopen this but just to clarify, I lived overseas for 9 years because of family in the forces and I moved back to the uk before I turned 18, just over 2 years ago. does that mean I don’t need a residency waiver?
    I have a British passport and lived at a few BFPO addresses which actually no longer exist anymore.

6. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hello
    I had to wait 12 months to join due to living out of the UK for 8 years. You should be fine

7. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    How come you had to wait 12 months? Waiting for the clearance?

8. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    No idea. This was for the army though. I've been in a year+ now though

9. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I am in the military. My son was born overseas and spent about 8 years abroad. He had no problems joining at all. The only boring part was trying to remember all our addresses and dates as we moved around a lot. You should have no issues and best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

A residency waiver is not a big deal, to be honest. If you need one, we will get you one.

In point of fact, British nationals living overseas, with continuous periods of less than 28 days, amounting to less than 1 year in total within the last 5 prior to making an application, do not need a residency waiver.

The rules are as follows:

Residency Criteria for Non-Commonwealth Candidates

DBS-NSV will automatically process any Naval Service candidates:

(a) With at least 5 years continuous UK (including Northern Ireland) or Republic of Ireland residency prior to application.

(b) Or who have either:

i. Lived in the UK or Republic of Ireland continuously for at least the last 3 years immediately prior to application or;

ii. Lived in the UK or Republic of Ireland for a total of 4 years out of the last 5 (which might, for example, allow candidates that have travelled/worked/studied abroad for no more than 12 months in the last 5 years to qualify for minimum residency).

This includes British Citizens living abroad and Dual British Nationals.

There is a blanket concession to to accept shorter periods of UK/Republic of Ireland residency. In these circumstances a short term SC will be granted until sufficient data is abvaible to DBS-NSV to complete the normal vetting process.