British citizen living in Greece.

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by eviljezza, Mar 6, 2012.

1. eviljezza

eviljezza New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum (I believe it's in the right section :amuse:)

When I was 13 I moved to Greece with my parents, I am now 19 and I still have one year left in my education so I will be 20 years old when I finish next summer.

I have been out of the country for 6 years and will be approaching 7 when I finish my education, but a recent phone call to an adviser said my citizenship overrides any residency issues and that my Greek qualifications will be discussed by the admiralty board, so I believe I'm all set in those areas.

Now what I would like to know is (once I finish my education next summer) should I apply online first before flying over to the U.K?

When should I submit my qualifications to the admiralty board?

How long after my first application to join is it that I get to stay in a barracks? (I ask this question so I know how long I will have to stay at my sisters house ^^)

I am already in great fitness and strength but I still keep training to be in top shape for when the day comes and I keep practicing my entry exam on a monthly basis.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

γειά σου

I'd advise you get copies & certified translations of all qualifications held (and being taken - together with expected grades) up to 12 months before your targeted entry date. Officer entries: one per year in September.

Your application to join as an Officer should be submitted between 9 & 12 months before your entry date.

Once over the age of 18 when resident overseas, even if full or Dual British, you will still need a residency waiver - not usually a problem, but it may cause delays gaining security clearance, so an early application is strongly advised.

The last Admiralty Interview Board for officer entry is usually at the end of June or beginning of July, prior to the September entry. You do not move into barracks until your training commences.

καλή τύχη

3. eviljezza

eviljezza New Member

"I'd advise you get copies & certified translations of all qualifications held (and being taken - together with expected grades) up to 12 months before your targeted entry date. Officer entries: one per year in September."

Could you explain this to me better please? I assume entry date is the date of when I apply?

"Your application to join as an Officer should be submitted between 9 & 12 months before your entry date."

Again is entry date a reference to the date of applying?

"Once over the age of 18 when resident overseas, even if full or Dual British, you will still need a residency waiver - not usually a problem, but it may cause delays gaining security clearance, so an early application is strongly advised. "

What is a residency waiver? I have a residency permit is that what you mean?

"The last Admiralty Interview Board for officer entry is usually at the end of June or beginning of July, prior to the September entry. You do not move into barracks until your training commences."

So if I got my final grades in August, I will have only 1 month left if I want to apply as an officer?

Sorry if these questions sound kind of silly, I just want to get everything right, and get out of here A.S.A.P and back in the U.K and signing up for the RM.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Entry date is the date you enter the service & commence training - ie: September.

You need to submit an application to join a year before your targeted entry date - in other words contact your selected armed forces careers office (AFCO) a year before you want to physically commence training to arrange convenient test dates, medical, pre joining fitness test, interviews etc.

Those over the age of 18, regardless of Nationality must usually have 3 years residency in UK to gain security clearance. If you haven't, we need to get a waiver of that residency period in order to process security clearance. No security clearance- no join.

Ultimately, it's up to you when you submit your application to join by completing the application to sit the recruiting test, but you need to plan a year ahead. You can start the application before you finish your education if you wish. You are also advised to consider, from the outset, if you would join as an Other Rank if you fail an element of Officer selection or your academic qualifications do not meet the basic entry level for officer.

5. eviljezza

eviljezza New Member

Ok so prefably I will apply this September as I should get my final grades before next September.

So what exactly is a residency waiver and how do I obtain one?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Your Careers Adviser applies for the waiver but you can help things along by providing a very recent copy of a Police computer check listing any (hopefully none) criminal convictions in your country of residence &, if a dual national, a letter from the relevant government authority indicating you are not liable for "National Service"in your country of residence - in other words, if you join the Royal Marines, the Greek authorities will not expect you to join the Greek armed forces in times of crisis.

7. eviljezza

eviljezza New Member

Ok that's simple enough, I've only been involved with the police two times, once to get my residency permit and second to get my provosional license, no dual-citizenship, so things should go smoothly for me then.

One last thing, If I apply this September so I can do my tests, interviews e.t.c next summer when would be the best time to submit my grades to the AiB? I assume I give them to my careers adviser when I get them?

8. Ninja_Stoker

You need to get your qualifications validated from the outset to confirm you are eligible. If you pass all elements of selection, an offer of service is subject to the required grades being achieved prior to the start date.

9. eviljezza

eviljezza New Member

Thanks for your help Ninja, it's appreciated.

Though one more thing if you don't mind, it's something that has been nagging me, we do the 2.4km runs on a treadmill right, well I've never used a treadmill before and to my knowledge they have speed settings, so how will I know at which setting to run at to be inside the time limit?

I assume that someone will be there watching me run on the treadmill and can explain it to me?

10. Ninja_Stoker

11. eviljezza

eviljezza New Member

One last thing, how long between the runs? We do the 12min run firs followed by the 10 min run if I remember correctly, but how long in between each run?

12. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Do these 3 years of residency have to be the ones prior to requesting the waiver? I ask because I lived in the UK from birth to 9 yr and have lived in Spain form 10-18 yr. Would I have any issues gaining a waiver given that I'm a British Citizen?

13. Ninja_Stoker

That quote is five years ago.

If you hold a Brit passport and live overseas, you'll need a residency waiver. As long as you can produce a recent police record computer check print from your country of residence and a couple of references (in English) from education or employment verifying you are who you claim to be, a dependable individual of reliable and trustworthy disposition, a good egg & snappy dresser, the waiver isn't usually too much of an issue - however gaining security clearance itself can take a bit of time depending on the diplomatic relations with UK and the level of security protocol "exchange of information" available and of course, the speed of bureaucratic efficiency in that country.

14. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thank you very much for the response. Hopefully it won't be too much of a meither.