British citizen overseas

dannytellurian

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 19 year old dual british-singapore citizen. I'm currently serving national service in Singapore, and I'm going to try to apply to join the RM after I finish national service.

I've done extensive research into residency requirements online, but I can't say I've found any concrete answers. Will having served in the singapore army bar me from entry into the RM? Singapore is in the commonwealth, and I'm an enlisted man (not an officer). I have never lived in the UK, but I have a british passport, british citizenship, and I have family in the British army.

Renouncing singapore citizenship will mean I have no more national service obligation and will not be called up for reserves, and this is what I am planning to do after I turn 21 (Singapore law only allows renunciation after the age of 21)

Cheers lads,
Danny

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm a 19 year old dual british-singapore citizen. I'm currently serving national service in Singapore, and I'm going to try to apply to join the RM after I finish national service.

Welcome. Plenty of information, advice and robust debate here. Just dive in.

No doubt one of the Career Advisers on here will give you definitive information about the recruitment process for overseas applicants when your post is spotted.

Anecdotally, I believe that one requirement is a formal confirmation that all national service and reserve liabilities have been completed.
Best of luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As long as you hold a Brit passport, a certificate of service, discharge certificate and a letter of confirmation from your OC that after discharge, you are not liable for recall or reserve service in Singapore, you'll be fine.

If unsure, just email the Overseas Desk at London AFCO: NAVYCNR-RFFGLSEOVERSEAS@MOD.GOV.UK

Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lurch British Citizen Overseas Overseas Section 4
Lurch British Citizen Abroad Overseas Section 9
T800M101 Another Aussie-British Citizen Overseas Section 4