British Citizen Overseas

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Lurch, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey there,
    I am a British Citizen and lived there for 9 years (both parents are British and my passport is too) but I currently live overseas and have done for the past 9 years. I just wanted to ask if anyone is in the same predicament as me and find out how long the whole joining process may take? -giving there are no exceptional issues with medical or fails- Would it be the same or at least similar to a normal Brit living in England or may it take longer? Am I currently about to submit my application and was hoping of starting recruit training this year, would this be possible?
    Lurch

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Welcome.

Whilst there's no automatic guarantee or right, if you submit an application about three months ahead of your arrival in UK, and if you establish communications by email with your chosen processing AFCO it is sometimes possible to pre-book and effectively condense the selection process to minimise stay time in UK.

As indicated elsewhere it can be a high risk strategy if there are delays and in truth, there often are particularly at the medical stage. Most applicants in UK simply aren't fit enough from the day they apply and this can cause untold delays because they fail their fitness tests or/and the Potential Royal Marines Course. The average applicant takes between 6-8 months to join, but without pre-booking anything, three months is feasible (just) if fully prepared in all respects.

I've processed an overseas applicant so that he had a test and interview day one, eyetest day two, medical (with tons of hassle and pre-arrangement - entire med docs brought over, medical questionnaire completed and submitted prior to arrival in UK, triage call pre-arranged upon arrival, medical cancellation available) day three, pre joining fitness test day four (pre booked), Potential Royal Marines Course (last minute telephone booking and good egg at CTC) on day eight, prmc pass day eleven, security clearance initiated prior to arrival in UK together with residency waiver, entry into recruit training within 32 days of arrival in UK. Rare? Once in 14 years! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Wow, seems pretty intense (but not impossible:)) I appreciate the information. I'll see how it goes and hopefully everything will turn out alright.

4. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

I lived in the UK until I was 10 and then moved to Australia. Moved back at 18, had a big of a wait for the security clearance but started Recruit Training a few months after arriving in the UK. MY careers advisor managed to arrange all my tests and PRMC in about a 3 week period but it was waiting on the Security clearance after all of the PRMC that caused the wait. Left RT after Hunters Moon as had problems with the family back home. Been in Australia since 2014, just arrived back in the UK and heading to the AFCO today. I know my wait this time will be because I'm a rejoin. Can be done. Good luck mate.

5. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Cheers mate, shame about the first time but the best of luck to you too.