British expat in spain

Expat

Reaction score
Hello, I am 18 years old and I'm applying for the Royal marines from my home in Spain, it has been requested that I provide a letter proving I have no criminal record. Has anybody on here recently had to submit one of these and have any advice or tips ?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
This is commonly provided by the Spanish Police so should not be an issue acquiring one - it is exactly what it says it is, a simple letter from your local Police stating you have no criminal issues in the said country - no tips required - simply ask the local Police for it, they may direct you main local area office for this though.

Expat

Reaction score
I went to both the guardia civil and local but both refused and said that it must be done online but offered no further assistance

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I went to both the guardia civil and local but both refused and said that it must be done online but offered no further assistance
Have you tried to request it online?

The onus is on the individual wishing to apply and generally most Police forces can enter a name and date of birth on their national computer database to check whether an individual has a criminal record - all you need is a print out of that Police check.

Try this for starters: https://spainwise.net/criminal-record-checks/

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
I currently reside in Spain (more like stuck so I can't get one from the Civil Guard/Local Police), having left Malta a few months back, when they requested another Criminal Conduct Certificate I explained my current situation to my AFCO and ended up filling in a "Candidate Self Declaration" form, which basically states that I'm not in trouble with any law enforcement agencies.

So far so good, my SC is in the works (again) and I'm currently waiting for a F2F medical... Maybe talk to your AFCO about a self declaration?

Edit:
"I went to both the guardia civil and local but both refused and said that it must be done online but offered no further assistance"

I missed that post, mine can probably be ignored.

MotherBear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I’d try the national police as they deal with the residency, passports etc. They have the systems to print these off better than the local or guardia civil

Expat

Reaction score
@Chelonian @MotherBear @RCTJ0012 @Ninja_Stoker @The guide

Thank you all for your responses, I have asked some friends who have had it done and its quite a long process, first you need to fill in a form online, print it out, go to your bank and pay 3 euros for it, then get back online, book an appointment in valencia which is usually where you would get it but because it for use in the uk its been sent to the authorities to be apostilled

MotherBear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Chelonian @MotherBear @RCTJ0012 @Ninja_Stoker @The guide

Thank you all for your responses, I have asked some friends who have had it done and its quite a long process, first you need to fill in a form online, print it out, go to your bank and pay 3 euros for it, then get back online, book an appointment in valencia which is usually where you would get it but because it for use in the uk its been sent to the authorities to be apostilled

Good luck! I’m half Spanish so I know the pain of paperwork over there and how difficult they make it!