Broken Collarbone

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Jaguar2187, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM.

1. Jaguar2187

Jaguar2187 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Evening all,
    My brother recently broke his collarbone playing rugby and apparently the break was quite a bad one. As of today, he currently has a fairly large titanium plate in his shoulder with three pins holding it onto the collarbone. He's thinking about joining either the marines or the army, and would like to know if this would bar him from entry. Any useful information or advice would be appreciated.

2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I wouldn't think it would be a permanent bar? But there may well be a stipulated recovery time. Ie 1 year? And also I'd think his medical records relating to the fracture will be scrutinised too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaguar2187

Jaguar2187 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks arny, I'm not to sure as to how long his recovery time will be though.

4. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

This is the book answer .!!..so a 12 month wait.!! and meet the criteria as described - P2 = fit for entry

15. Previous fracture with surgical fixation4. A period of at least12 months must have elapsed since the latest surgery in all cases before selection, as remodelling following a fracture often takes up to 12 months.
    a. Upper limb fractures. Candidates with upper limb fractures whose union is confirmed, without deformity, with no tenderness over the area of metal work / fracture site who are asymptomatic with exercise comparable with military training over the last 3 months and have full function of the joints above and below the injury may be graded P2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Clearly the reply above from @The guide is the definitive one.
    An anecdotal comment based upon my own experience of what was diagnosed as being a "hairline" fracture of my collar bone (came off the back of a daft horse) when I was aged 25. It took me at least 12 months (including physiotherapy) to recover the physical capacity I had before the break. Obviously everyone's clinical circumstances differ. Best wishes to your brother for a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Pro cyclists who enjoy the benefit of surgical intervention are usually back riding within 6 weeks!! A lot of cycling freinds of mine have broken collar bones from cycling, and weirdly enough there's sometimes been no attempt to rejoin the bone, resulting in strange lumps and things sticking out in the area??? Sounds to me your brothers been looked after quite well, and a good outlook is on the cards!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jaguar2187

Jaguar2187 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you for the replies, my brother appreciates it.