broken jaw

Danny111

Reaction score
Hi lads i was just wondering if i pass my eye test i will have to have my medical and im not really worried about it but there is one thing on my mind. A few years ago i got my jaw broken and i have got two permanent metal plates in my jaw.

Does anyone know if this will bar me from entry.

Cheers lads

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think this will bar you. But yea they will look up opon it. Its better you telling them instead of them finding out at a later date..

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
they dont check nothing with your jaw unless you say you broke it a while back

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They will still find out though. Just say you break it again or something etc..

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just hope they havent started using metal detectors on you medical! will look a tad strange standing there naked with the bleepers going... wheres the first place you think they will check?...

*text deleted*

Danny111

Reaction score
mate they dont come up on the metal detectors *text deleted* going on holiday would be a bit of a pain woulnt it, every time you go through customs you would set off the metal detectors and have to explain about the plates in my *text deleted**text deleted*in jaw *text deleted* :laugh::laugh:

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alright mate, As it ws a couple of years ago, and you have had no problems since, you will be fine.

Medical guidelines state that you are medically unfit if you have had "bone or joint operations within the last 12 months."

So you are clear. That's definitely correct as well as i am in the same boat, albeit more recently.

atb

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Alright mate, As it ws a couple of years ago, and you have had no problems since, you will be fine.

Medical guidelines state that you are medically unfit if you have had "bone or joint operations within the last 12 months."

So you are clear. That's definitely correct as well as i am in the same boat, albeit more recently.

atb

It's definitely not correct unfortunately, as the Medical Examiner needs to consult your medical history before passing you fit for entry.

The Medical Examiner must be informed of all bone & joint operations, regardless of when they occured. It is important to remember no two cases are alike so anecdotal experience is unfortunately not necessarily relevant to your specific case and certain procedures can be a bar to entry in certain circumstances.

If you withold any information which subsequently comes to light, you can be discharged for making a fraudulent application & lose your pension rights, so whilst most people are not even thinking of their pensions yet, the moral is simply tell the truth.

Good luck.

Danny111

Reaction score
So what would my chances be then with two metal plates in my jaw (they dont affect me whatsoever)

Cheers

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yep as ninja said, when i had my medical i had to explain all broken bones etc (quite alot *text deleted*) and how they were done etc, and he had a look at the history, they need to check the mobility etc etc of specific areas if you have broken something obviously.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
So what would my chances be then with two metal plates in my jaw (they dont affect me whatsoever)

The best bet is to nip into your local AFCO to ask if you can speak with the Medical Examiner, at least that way you will have a definitive answer.

Unfortunately I can't express an opinion on medical suitability, but as stated you need to be at least 12 months clear of surgery (as you are) and all you need clarification on is whether the extent of the surgery you have had can affect your medical suitability.

Danny111

Reaction score
I have my medical on monday anyway so i think i will just wait for the real thing

Cheers