Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Today my mum was going through some stuff and found the medals of her grandfather. With some wiki help, I identified all off them. He had one for getting a CBE, GSM (Palestine and SE Asia), 1939-45 Star, Burma Star, Italy Star, the defence medal, another GSM (39-45), Queen’s coronation and then, the puzzler, the BSM. As an American medal, I’m unsure how he earned it, unless through fighting with US forces - though I don’t know if that earns it. Moreover, I don’t think he would have been in the field at the time he could have earned it (it was introduced 1941) and he’d have been in his forties by then. My grandparents always said he hand in planning D-day (I don’t know, but he did have a copy of the plans).
    If anyone could shed some light on this, would be very great full.
    Fibo

2. Rover

Rover Moderator

Bronze Star Medal (BSM) is awarded to individuals who, while serving in the United States Armed Forces in a combat theater, distinguish themselves by heroism, outstanding achievement or by meritorious service not involving aerial flight.

Since the award criteria state that the Bronze Star Medal may be awarded to "any person ... while serving in any capacity in or with" the US Armed Forces, awards to members of foreign armed services serving with the United States are permitted. Thus, a number of Allied soldiers received the Bronze Star Medal in World War II/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thought so, cheers Rover!

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

5. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Honestly, I don’t know - much as I’d like to. I know he worked with Monty as my grandmother (his daughter) was friends with Montys son - even got a signed biography out of that! But it’s absolutely possible that he was on Eisenhower’s staff, great shout.

6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

7. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Brilliant! Cheers Alan.

• Like Like x 1