Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Bugler

Discussion in 'Royal Marines Band' started by CivvieEngineer, Jun 17, 2018.

1. CivvieEngineer

CivvieEngineer New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello everybody

I am coming towards the end of my merchant navy training and I am weighing up my options for future careers.

I used to play the violin many years ago however I am more inclined to join as a bugler. I am hoping people on here can help me out.

I'm wanting to know:
    1) What people do for auditions as a bugler?
    2) What instruments you play(ed)?
    3) What is involved in the training for a bugler?
    4) What does the day to day life look like?
    5) Do you get up to stuff other than band stuff regularly?

If anyone is able to answer any or all you'd be a great help to me.

CivvieEngineer

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Buglers are Drummers primarily. In most cases they typically have fairly current experience playing the side drum in a marching band. In the main, they play drums (untuned percussion) primarily in the marching and orchestral role and also bugle or fanfare trumpet in the ceremonial role.

Drummer Buglers must be competant on both at audition and then undergo 15 weeks phase one training at the Commando Training Centre, followed by a couple of years at the RM School of Music at HMS Nelson, Portsmouth.

If you want to get a better insight there's bucket loads of former RM Musicians working as Careers Advisers and if you ask nicely, they can usually get you on a residential (all costs paid) RM Band acquaint visit held at HMS Collingwood, Fareham. There's usually about one a term.

RM Drummers & Musicians have a secondary role as Level 3 qualified medical support personnel and have deployed operationally in this role, also providing group force protection (base security) for frontline combat units and Chemical, Biological, Radioactive & Nuclear monitoring & decontamination teams (a similar role to the RAF Regiment).

• Like Like x 2
  3. jevans2456

jevans2456 New Member

Hi, great to hear interest in the band!

I will start off by saying that I'm not a bugler but a musician, but hopefully will still be of some use and try and answer 3, 4 and 5.

So training for the buglers is slightly shorter than that of a musician being around the 2 year mark. The training is done alongside however at the Royal Marines School of Music in Portsmouth.

As already mentioned, you would have to complete phase 1 basic training before starting at the RMSoM. Once there you work a fairly standard 9-5 day learning to become a bugler and what that entails. So that would include: Side drum, Bugling, Natural trumpet as well as lots of time spent marching on the parade square perfecting drill. Once passing out you go to one of the 5 bands. You also receive instrumental lessons from top teachers on each instrument.

Day to day life for a bugler is quite different. Simply because you will have more smaller gigs... i.e Mess beatings and funerals. They pretty much run a seperate routine to the rest of the band unless they are required for a parade. They do however tend to get more foreign trips, if travelling is your thing.

In terms of doing things other than 'band stuff' there is plenty of oppurtunity to do AT related activities after passing out of training. Also if you have a hobby such as photography or you are a whiz with social media etc then there is oppurtunity to do that too.

I hope that has been of some help.

P.S Just wondering, why bugler over musician?
    If you have a decent musical apptitude then they can teach you from scratch on just about any instrument.
    Also, just so that you are aware that the free BMus hons degree, if you are interested, is only available to musicians.

4. CivvieEngineer

CivvieEngineer New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers for the answers, very helpful. I wouldn't have thought it would be 9-5.

I've always enjoyed the drums more than most instruments. I haven't rule out musician, I just prefer side drums. I am starting to learn trumpet and could be getting taught how to play pipe organ, although I don't imagine there's a marching organ player.

My interest for the band service definitely stems from my unit restarting our band, whilst we do have a large number of drums in comparison to the bell lyres and brass players. I had often found myself carrying the bass drum as I am one of the taller guys. This has probably been what ignited my interest for military bands. That and I was taken to the Whit Friday marches every year to see the brass band contest.

5. jevans2456

jevans2456 New Member

Its only like that while you are in training. Once passed out your days vary massively with most days finishing before midday!

As a bugler you wont actually play the bass drum as that is played by percussion, bassoon and oboe players. Learning the trumpet could help you if you wanted to be a musician as it pairs with either violin or piano.

• Like Like x 2