Building up military knowledge.

richreed15

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, my situation is unlike alot of people who have wanted to be in the marines for as long as they can remember, my interest has only been for 6 months now, im due for a sift interview wednesday which means it will be september 2009 before i can begin YO training. I don't doubt my commitment but thats easier said then shown and I am happy in a way i have a year to start gaining the relevent knowledge and skills i will need and to show myself and family/friends that this isnt an impulse ive attached too because i didnt know what i wanted to do after university. Im not worried about the physcial side (well not too worried) however with my recent interest, my knowledge of the corps is minimal. I'm researching everyday, finding im looking for definitions for words and abbreviations in every other sentance. I know the knowledge will come with the work however any recomendations on good web sites, books etc will be apreciated. Another problem with my interest being recent is the opportunitys ive missed to gain a good looking CV to help me through to the training stage, for example the chance to join my univeristy's OTC. What im asking is what should i get under my belt in the next year to help me prepare.

thanks

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I can recommend these books:
Royal Marines Commandos: The Inside Story of a Force for the Future

A very easy read that starts from the beginning and highlights the majority of the important events in the Marines history. Would start with this book.

2.The Making of a Royal Marine Commando

Cracking book that explains why the commando is such an elite force and how amphibious operations are crucial in warfare along with loads of insider info about certain specializations.

3.By Sea and by Land: The Story of the Royal Marines Commandos

Starts with basic history of the marines but focuses on Sicily and Italy, D-Day,Walcheren, Korea, Aden, The Falklands. Its well written with a few pictures and maps.

The Royal Marines: From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force

Pages upon pages of indepth info starting from 1664 and ending 1999, loads of pictures and maps along with personal letters about each battle from both other ranks and officers. Its written very much like a text book i would say and has a tendency to fry your brain with dates numbers and names...could read this book over and over again and learn things you didn't catch the first time.

5.Commando

By Chris Terrill a 55 year old man that partially trained with the Marines and showed some of the psychological aswell as physical sides of recruit training, there is the tv series but this book is far better in my opinion. Hell he completed the all arms commando course and earned a honorary green beret at 55!

6.Always a Marine: The Return to Civvy Street and 7.Amongst the Marines: The Untold Story

I have not yet read these books but they are sitting waiting for me, every person on this forum that has read them has enjoyed them so definitely worth a read...plus the Author is a moderator on the site so buy them else we send Steeve round hehe.

Movies:

Cockleshell Heroes---If you want to be a commado you have to see this movie!

They Who Dare --SBS lads being all sneaky and such

Memory fails at the moment though cant recall any others

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The making of a 'Royal Marine Commando' is very useful and a fairly easy read. Maybe pick up the commando:eek:n the front line series dvd if u didn't see it on the tv

richreed15

Reaction score
Thanks Chris for taking your time to write out that list....i've read the making of a RM commando which i really enjoyed and ive got through a couple of others mentioned....Im looking foward to reading 3 Commando Brigade coming out in August i believe....The Inside Story of a Force for the Future sounds particularly uselful ...i was thinking with a year to spare, getting a bronze award for Duke of Edinburgh. Anyone got any views or experience on this?

cheers

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Your welcome. There are some royal navy and military history books i know of if you would like.

Dont have much knowledge on the Duke of Edinburgh awards so cant help you out there, if anyone on the site has any experience they should be along shortly to give advice.

All the best for application and training mate.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in a similar position to you. While I have not wanted to be a Marine all my life I decided I wanted to join a year or so ago and I intensely desire it.

I also need to up my knowledge significantly about the Corps. But keep revising, again and again! I find that that reading books will greatly increase your knowledge, and they can be fun and interesting too. I hardly knew anything about the RM and read Chris Terrill's Commando and found it a great source of information. Make sure you read up on the Navy and the RM, Corps history (such as the Falklands war) to expand your knowledge.

Things to look up on -
Current ships in service in the Navy
Types of ships used (classes)
Manpower levels for Navy and RM
Manpower levels for Armed forces

That sort of thing. Also keep checking up on the RM website about recent news. Make sure to memories how the RM is organised branch by branch, all the different areas such as 40 Commando etc. I hope these will help. It's strange me saying all of this but I know none of it myself! But its a good check-list to increase your service knowledge.

By the way I will be starting uni in September, going to join the OTC and looking at doing the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award to increase my leadership experience.

Good look to you.

S

Sotiris

Rich!

I'm hopefully starting in Sept 09 as well. After uni.

Haha we seem to be on very similar paths. I originally wanted to go through Sandhurst about 18 months ago...applied and everything but then I re-routed suddenly to the Marines.

I do however have previous military experience as a mountain ranger in the Greek army...as well as stints in mechanized infantry units for a few months.

But my knowlege about the RM's is limited so I'm building up a library hehe.

What are you studying at the moment?

D

DevonCadet

Also in similar postion and looking to start in Sept 09. I have also missed my chance for the OTC but I was looking at possibly joining the RMR in the meantime which you may want to look into.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you keep viewing the News section ofn this site and have a look at the PRMC Extra site for further AIB briefing notes on areas to research.

richreed15

Reaction score
Rich!

I'm hopefully starting in Sept 09 as well. After uni.

Haha we seem to be on very similar paths. I originally wanted to go through Sandhurst about 18 months ago...applied and everything but then I re-routed suddenly to the Marines.

I do however have previous military experience as a mountain ranger in the Greek army...as well as stints in mechanized infantry units for a few months.

But my knowlege about the RM's is limited so I'm building up a library hehe.

What are you studying at the moment?
Hi Sotiris

I have just finished my finals, was studying law with business studies. I was asked recently how I would use law in the marines and I laughed so they asked why I did law and I said because now I know what I want to do *text deleted*. Anyway my interviews tomorrow now and I’m probably not as nervous as I should be but im going to be honest with the liaison officer, tell him I think I will be a great officer but I need to use the year to catch up knowledge wise to those who were born with a provisional green beret. I reckon duke of Edinburgh is an option and maybe even RMR. Thanks to everyone who has replied, I know it is likely to be an uphill struggle with my degree being my only aid but quite honestly I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers and I will let you know if I get through tomorrow unmarked.