Bulking up and getting upper body stronger

chris573

Reaction score
Hey I need advice on how to bulk up and get my upper body much stronger. Is there any lads on here that are currently serving in the royal marines that I could chat to on facebook?

RossH

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you are looking to be succesful in reaching kings squad, 'bulking' is not what i would recommend, unless you are below the 65KG minimum weight. Getting stronger, is though. This doesn't mean that you will build muscle, infact, you can loose muscle and still gain strength by doing bodyweight/crossfit exercises, which will be much more beneficial to you. You dont want to be carrying all that extra weight (muscle) around with you in RT because it will weigh you down when it comes to your running.

I dont mean that to sound like a lecture, you probs know all that already.

chris573

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your advice. I just looking at building up my shoulders and upper body. Very skinny because i am 6ft4 and weigh 74kg

RossH

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have just calculated your BMI using this website:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

It indicates that you are of a healthy weight, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

This forum has some great training adivce loacted in the ''Training and diet'' section, i'd advise you check it out.

Best of luck.

bizz29

Reaction score
hi mate i increased my body weight by doing a combination of strength weight training , ie. heavy weight up to eight reps and supper setting 2-3 times a week , and doing my body weight /cross fit training , 4-5 times a week . when i first went to the afco 2 years ago i was just over 67kg , had to stop my app due to an injury but now back on the app and got a prmc in April and weighing 80 kg but still strong and i think fairly quick , its just finding the right balance mate and your bulk up and get strong whilst remaining light on your feet .

pain is just weakness, leaving the body

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you're within acceptable BMI parameters, 'bulking-up' is not recommended prior to undergoing recruit training unless you're under 65 kgs or only just over 65 kgs.

Focus on pull-ups and press-ups to develop upperbody strength, but focus mainly on running, cycling & swimming.

Sclark5427

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would mainly focus on my swimming and push ups for upper body training if i were you. Remember the prmc does not require you to be able to bench 400 pounds.

jonathan

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your advice. I just looking at building up my shoulders and upper body. Very skinny because i am 6ft4 and weigh 74kg

Plus wouldnt get massive because some poor lad will have to firemans carry you on bottom field. It isnt nice that weight plus 21lbs and a rifle haha

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having the opposite issue. I'm 6' 3" and a naturally broad build so have always been quite heavy in RM terms. I'm currently at 84kg and its going up weekly now that I'm throwing in strength work again. I stay away from weights and strictly stick to body weight. I'm also swimming five times a week (nothing strenuous, just gentle recovery stuff) and running three-four times a week. I think just before the medical and POC I'm going to have to go on a massive effort to drop weight and muscle if I keep gaining at this weight.

If you're a racing snake, I suggest you do everything you can to stay that way. Lugging extra bulk around really isn't fun!

chris573

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I dont want to bulk up like putting lodes of weight on. I am trying to build up my upper body muscle and around my shoulders and arms. Do you have facebook cat chat on there.
Thanks and im sure you will lose weight