Bullying in RM

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Personally I don't believe this is true. There are, as others have said, two sides to every story, and remember, he is a Youtuber. His job is to entertain, and to be frank, that story is kind of entertaining. From what I have heard about RMs I don't think they would let somebody beat on one of their own.
...Unless he was an absolute jack b@s£ard.

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Probably sounds like a dumb question but what makes someone a dick in the corps? Is it the same as civvy street like just being stuck up etc?

People who don't pull their weight/being jack. For example Whenever a rubbish detail(job) comes out generally the lads in a troop will all chip in. Such as cleaning wagons down or a big stores/armoury check. It is noted who helps out and who stays away. Not volunteering to carry surplus kit on exercises, not volunteering to get up out of bed earlier to help set up the admin side of ranges for a days shooting etc

People who are "crabby" such as leave mess about for others to clean up or don't bother showering before first detail.

People who are beef or wrap. Such as hate the rigours of being in the field or carrying a heavy bergen and moan about it. Don't put effort into anything and constantly moan about putting their chit in. It's a negative affect and it can be contagious to others when morale is low.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Probably sounds like a dumb question but what makes someone a dick in the corps? Is it the same as civvy street like just being stuck up etc?
I always imagined it being like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
People who don't pull their weight/being jack. For example Whenever a rubbish detail(job) comes out generally the lads in a troop will all chip in. Such as cleaning wagons down or a big stores/armoury check. It is noted who helps out and who stays away. Not volunteering to carry surplus kit on exercises, not volunteering to get up out of bed earlier to help set up the admin side of ranges for a days shooting etc

People who are "crabby" such as leave mess about for others to clean up or don't bother showering before first detail.

People who are beef or wrap. Such as hate the rigours of being in the field or carrying a heavy bergen and moan about it. Don't put effort into anything and constantly moan about putting their chit in. It's a negative affect and it can be contagious to others when morale is low.
Let’s say you do this often, volunteer for the shi* jobs no one wants to do, is it likely you will be promoted quicker than the lads that don’t?

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Let’s say you do this often, volunteer for the shi* jobs no one wants to do, is it likely you will be promoted quicker than the lads that don’t?
No... people will give you more sh1t for being a kiss arse ha!

Joking aside. No it won't get you promoted quicker. However it won't go unnoticed that you dig out and you will not be seen as a jack b@stard...the odd prof may come your way.

For example, being asked to do something on a Friday and Saturday, when everybody else has gone home, but the reward is getting the whole of the following week off.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No... people will give you more sh1t for being a kiss arse ha!

Joking aside. No it won't get you promoted quicker. However it won't go unnoticed that you dig out and you will not be seen as a jack b@stard...the odd prof may come your way.

For example, being asked to do something on a Friday and Saturday, when everybody else has gone home, but the reward is getting the whole of the following week off.
Sorry I’m really bad with acronyms what does “odd prof” and would you get more recognition from your CO?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
It simply means you "profit" from a situation or you "proffered" as is proffed a bit of kit from somewhere, which is it,s origins - you don't steal military kit from stores or lying around you prof it.!!.

While you may get a sentence in your annual report saying you a good egg and you put yourself forward, the way reports are structured it does not make a real impact on your report, but as the lads above you such as your Sgt,s or CSM will know. I am sure you heard the saying "do not volunteer for anything", well I personally believe that's a pile of crock - I used to put myself forward for everything in my younger days and when a decent course is available that bit of putting your self forward and not being jack pays dividends, as the ranks giving out the courses if spare remember the guys who do go out of their way as much as those that don,t. Clearly, it does not always pan out that way as bosses are people and have their own approach, but it does on occasion and normally to your benefit long term

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score

No. Being a good bloke isn't about promotion. It's about being good at your job and getting accepted by the lads.

As has been said, when your the new lad volunteer for the less desirable details, offer lads a wet from time to time, dont mug lads off when they try to include you, be good at your job. This will get you fully inserted into the club and before long lads will look after you and start sharing the rubbish jobs out so its not all going your way.

Forget about trying to please the officers to an extent, it doesn't come across well. Do the above, perform well and when your name does come up im sure your Cpls/oppos will have nothing but good things to say about you. But, as has been said before, be jack, be crabby, mug lads off, drip like mad about doing the details you didn't want and you'll be unpopular and shock, you'll continue to get the rubbish details for the forseeable.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
There are lots of things but it's the same as being one at a job in civistreet. The milltary is worse tho becuse if some one is rubbish at their job or can't be bothered to put the effort in to their job it's a long process to get rid of them.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are lots of things but it's the same as being one at a job in civistreet. The milltary is worse tho becuse if some one is rubbish at their job or can't be bothered to put the effort in to their job it's a long process to get rid of them.
So out of interest what happens if u fail the anual fitness test?

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So out of interest what happens if u fail the anual fitness test?
You will be put on remedial phys and trust me you don't want to be doing that. If you continue to fail you will most likely get put on duties as punishment( so working evenings or weekends) and go through the warning process.
For fully fit people it dosnt very often happen. Some people will fail but they are given a few weeks to get fit then re do it. Things like pressups to the bleep can be a bit cheeky unless you practice them.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wh
You will be put on remedial phys and trust me you don't want to be doing that. If you continue to fail you will most likely get put on duties as punishment( so working evenings or weekends) and go through the warning process.
For fully fit people it dosnt very often happen. Some people will fail but they are given a few weeks to get fit then re do it. Things like pressups to the bleep can be a bit cheeky unless you practice them.
What does the test consist of is it jist push ups pull ups and sit ups?

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Hi all,
so I was watching a YT video whereby a royal marine was talking about how when he joined his first unit he was bullied relentlessly by his section coperal for no reason and how he feared at night that he would come in his room and beat him up, then at the company party his worst fear became a reality, and the coperal started fighting him, and threw punches at him etc and no one did anything. he then left after only 4 years and he then had really bad depression and anxiety Even suicidal thoughts. This was a good few years ago tho, and having watched This i was wondering weather this is common. I’ve been a subject to bullying myself and I don’t want to go thru what he did.
thanks in advance
In that situation you've got to throw punches back. You're in the Royal Marine Commandos. Maybe they should adopt the Parachute Regiment method of punching eachother relentlessly in order to break that mental barrier.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
In that situation you've got to throw punches back. You're in the Royal Marine Commandos. Maybe they should adopt the Parachute Regiment method of punching eachother relentlessly in order to break that mental barrier.
No. We aren’t honking pongos. We don’t aimlessly scrap with each other.

Milling isn’t a big deal. You do hand to hand stuff in training anyway for “that mental barrier”.

We aren’t a bunch of minks, chavs or thugs. We are the thinking mans soldier.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
No. We aren’t honking pongos. We don’t aimlessly scrap with each other.

Milling isn’t a big deal. You do hand to hand stuff in training anyway for “that mental barrier”.

We aren’t a bunch of minks, chavs or thugs. We are the thinking mans soldier.
What would you do if you were in that guys situation then?V Violence/self-defence and intelligence aren't mutually exclusive.