Bunions (hallux valgus)

Jory1994

Reaction score
Hello all

currently in the joining process and have recently had a scan through the medical questionnaire and saw that bunions may may prevent me from joining. Does anyone have any experience with this as I’m finding any info on it hard to come by? I have my interview in a few days time and feel like I will be wasting their time knowing that I won’t be able to join, should I mention it or wait until my medical or what? Sorry for the long winded question in new to all this. I have never had any problems with it barely know it’s there til I take my socks off it does stand out and looks *text deleted* ugly but doesn’t overlap etc.

Thanks in advance

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Jory1994 , here is the current rules for you:

Candidates who are asymptomatic with no over-riding or callosity of the second toe; or who have had hallux valgus osteotomy, have normal function and are asymptomatic during activity comparable with military training are to be referred to SSMES. At least 12 months must have elapsed since the surgery. Candidates with existing hallux valgus are normally UNFIT.

Oden

Reaction score
I know of 2 people who got into RT with HV, don’t think it’s a no go because you can get in with it.