Buying a dog - advice please

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Thinking of buying a dog. Miniatures need not apply.

Pedigree or Mongrel? (Leaning toward adopting an orphaned rescue-centre dog.)

Had dogs as a kid, aware of the basics (rectangular, leg in each corner, head one end, tail t'other).

Tips/photos/running costs guideline would be appreciated.

I feel I owe it to my neighbours to return the favour by leaving neatly tied, little bags of pooh on their garden walls.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Mongrels will generally be healthier due to piss poor breeding by pedigree owners in the past, but get the right combination. Rescues can be a diamond in the rough but you really don't know their history in a lot of cases.

Generally, just like cars, the cost goes up with size. Food costs and potential health problems (hip dysplasia being a massive issue in larger dogs). Fully recommend pet insurance regardless of dog, as well as obedience classes. Even an experienced dog handler could learn a thing or two.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Got to be a Labrador. We get one issued in the Army but should cost £600 to £1000 for a good pedigree. Jabs cost around £100 per year and insurance around £20 per month. Food should cost around £30 to £40 per month. If you have kids worth going for a pedigree as you will know what you’re getting. If you don’t, try your local rescue place and see what they’ve got. Either way, dogs are great and well worth having around the house.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Mumofthree

Mumofthree Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Consistency! If you say one thing and then do something else your dog won't know whether it's coming or going.

If you like particular breeds then contact the local breed specific rescuer they have all ages and generally have an idea of what the dog needs to settle well.

Get the right dog for you. Don't get a toy dog if you want to walk for hours on end but don't get a working dog if you want a lap dog. They are breed for their natural instincts you can't retrain their brains to do something different.

Most of all enjoy the quirks that you will invariably find. I have a Springer who is terrified of gunshots and fireworks (luckily I don't work her but she has been doing Canicross and agility with me).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Cheers, must admit I was thinking along the lines of labrador-ish. Want a dog that needs exercise (like it's owner). Like spanielesque, don't want a beagle (can't afford the fags). Quite like those big grey, short-hair dogs with the amber eyes and floppy ears.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  6. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I'd always advocate for labs! We have two. Although I would reccomend getting insurance as our older lab has now got the tendency for lumps forming. They can eat like absolute machines as well (as most dogs will) but keep them to two strict meals a day so they don't over eat. Final words about labs. It's important to get hip and eye scores on the breeding pair as sadly the breed is known for hip dysplsia. It can be very manageable but it can also be an absolute write off it weight is not kept off and they are not exercised correctly.
    Although all the above sounds negative they are genuinely amazing dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It’s funny how they are the most popular dog, I couldn’t think of a worse one, smelly greedy fat things! So good advice here though, especially about consistency in training. If you let your dog on the sofa and bed they basically run the house.

As everyone is throwing in their two pence, last week I met a Great Dane / Irish wolf hound cross, now there’s a dog!

8. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Bet that eats like a bloody horse!

9. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

My uncle is a vet and he always tells people the same thing, stick to labradors. Least amount of health problems, good natured, look good etc. I’ve got a Fox red one and he’s awesome. He ran the commando challenge the other weekend with my mum and dad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

Also just as an after thought, you get feild labs and show labs. Show labs gain weight easily and have issues like lumps and stuff as they get older. The feild ones have narrower heads and look leaner and tend not to have as many issues when they get older.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Did you know if bitten by a dog it’s most likely to be a lab.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

I'd recommend a patterdale! It'll keep you fit, they're on the smaller side but not delicate, clever too. It'll keep your mind active too, wondering how in chuffing hell did it get up that tree? Don't need feeding loads either

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dvv63

Dvv63 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    German Shepherd all the time for me, loyal,fearless and intelligent. Buy from reputable breeder only, costs as per any dog, insurance,jabs,food. Training is a must,ideally every day.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Andy2hips

Andy2hips Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    We've got a cockapoo who is an absolute nutter. Runs around all day wanting to play despite numerous walks runs and allowed out all day if wants. Has a thing for socks and plastic will entertain himself for hours with a flower pot or sock just throwing it in the air haha. Extremely intelligent also been a brilliant guard dog well we call them big boy barks where he growls and barks at passersby from the safety of behind a window/door. Live in the country so very protective of his land hahaha. But not so much as a peep when on walks meets other people and dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Can’t go wrong with a Labrador mate. They are so versatile. Guide dogs, to gun dogs, to fat family dogs.

They are mega easy to own. Some are a decent size and some are quite small.

Pedigrees can carry genetic problems and may have been bred so much they cause issue.
    For example German Shepherd show dogs were bred for the sloping back, which is horrendous for their poor legs and hips.

Mongrels tend to be healthier as the genes are a bit more “diverse” but they don’t come without their problems.

Definately check out your local rescue centre. Could be the perfect dog there for you. Only problem is, you don’t truely know the back ground and it takes a bit longer to bond, and you haven’t had history with training, so they dog and you and both learning each other’s behaviourisms.

That being said, buying a puppy is tying.
    It’s incredibly tying for the first few months to a year. And the teething stage can be bad. But puppies tend to imprint on you and bond better and you both learn the mannerisms and behaviourisms.

But you have to be careful of puppy farming and make sure it’s from decent breeders and people. And there’s a few tips to remember from picking a puppy.
    Try and choose from a working line of dogs rather than a show line.

Have you got an idea of what breed you want?
    What sort of things will you be doing with them?

• Like Like x 1
  16. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don’t go for a beagle or a foXhound or that sort of dog. They are hounds, hard to train, they don’t obey aswell and when they get a scent of an animal they will bolt for miles.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Not sure. I enjoy walkng, cycling, boating, camping, outdoors stuff. Live in a city but close to woodland.

Wife's into cats, but we haven't got one. She doesn't like dogs particularly and, to be honest, I haven't mentioned getting a dog to her....Which should be a fun conversation

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    A working line/gundog lab would be good. I enjoy the training side of things. Only thing is a puppy is tying. Well worth looking down your local rescue centre.
    See if there’s a local gundog reacue centre, as all the work for training will be done.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. Bluebear

Bluebear Moderator

App Stage:
    Parent
    Short haired amber eyes.....is that a Vaymarama??? Now that might be an expensive dog!!

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Yep, didn't realise they cost so much. The blue-eyed variant is a cracking looking dog:

tumblr_inline_nxjzwizctT1s826nn_540.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1