C8 Carbine

James_SC

Reaction score
Is there any chance that the other brigades (I think that’s the right word) will adopt it?

Is there a downside to the Royal Marines themselves using it? I understand that is what, 8,000 individuals that would have to retrain.

Despite that reports have said that it is preferred by most (haven’t heard any disputes) if not all who have changed from the 43 commandos; it works better for them.

And if that is true the it’d be worth considering it.

I’m interested to know what everyone else’s thoughts are on this and if you have more information about the possibility of a change. Because there is a lot of controversy surrounding the current standard weapon.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Because there is a lot of controversy surrounding the current standard weapon.

To be fair every UK weapon system adopted has been controversial politically, economically and in terms of its perceived effectiveness.

The Lee-Enfield (first the 'long' version and then the 'short' version) was in service for almost 100 years (if one includes the L42 sniper rifle) until superseded by the L1A1 SLR.
But arguably a bolt action weapon system effectively won two global wars and countless lesser ones.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Is there any chance that the other brigades (I think that’s the right word) will adopt it?

Is there a downside to the Royal Marines themselves using it? I understand that is what, 8,000 individuals that would have to retrain.

Despite that reports have said that it is preferred by most (haven’t heard any disputes) if not all who have changed from the 43 commandos; it works better for them.

And if that is true the it’d be worth considering it.

I’m interested to know what everyone else’s thoughts are on this and if you have more information about the possibility of a change. Because there is a lot of controversy surrounding the current standard weapon.

There was a lot of controversy with the A1 version of the L85.
It cost a fortune to upgrade it to the A2. And it’s alright, it’s heavy and a bit awkward. But it’s more accurate and accurate to further ranges than the C8.

People only prefer the C8 because of the “Gucci” factor.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I always thought the bog standard C8 (not the carbine) looked a bit like the old SLR (may it's name be praised), with the "furniture" stripped. Presumably the internal gubbins (to use technical parlance) differs, but there are outwardly a lot of visual similarities.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
Can you please furnish us with the 'controversy' that surrounds the A2?

Its decent enough. I mean, what metrics do you quantify a weapons effectiveness by and could you rank them in order of importance?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blindman3004 43 Commando Switches to C8 Carbine Military News and Clips 20