Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

cadets

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by john smith, Oct 15, 2019.

1. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    For awhile now I have been in air cadets but only just considered joining the royal marines as an officer. this presented me with many problems as I have been on my first camp and settled in so I cant just leave for the marine cadets and I have already purchased my uniform. I am worried that by not joining the marine cadets I could hinder my chances of becoming an rm officer. What should i do?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. You will not disadvantage yourself by participating in RAF Air Cadets instead of Royal Marines Cadets. Take advantage of all opportunities.
    Best of luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Just to echo what @Chelonian has said- seize each and every opportunity you have. It is absolutely fantastic that you are showing such an interest in your future career ambitions.

It most definitely will not hinder you by joining any of the cadet organisations. Enjoy yourself.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I too echo the above (above..... above....geddit? :) ), in fact some of 'my' best performing RM Recruits were former Air Cadets.

Admittedly, I've had a few space cadets too, but that's another issue and nowt to do with uniformed youth organisations.

My advice is also seize the opportunities - if you can do Duke of Edinburgh Awards through the Air Cadets, do so - it really, really helps develop your skillset towards becoming an Officer. Likewise, go for promotion at every opportunity within the cadets.

Good luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    As a bit of a reassurance thing, the air cadets can offer you abit of everything. If you’re really into field craft and “soldering” stuff, then each region run yearly “greens” camps which involve basic soldering skills and range packages, up to the Junior Leaders course which is actually pretty decent.

I had the chance to work closely with a local ACF unit and despite their focus on field craft, there was little to no difference in the depth of training offered if you take all the opportunities the ATC offers you.

My advice is to do your syllabus training, I did my master cadet exam on my 16th birthday. Get your CMOIC course done ASAP and follow that on with ACLC and then Junior Leaders. If you can do that then I’d argue you’d be as best prepared as you could be from any cadet force.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

The Military doesn’t give a flying bats earlobe what cadets you were in.

It’s a youth club. If you want to stay in the air cadets, then stay in the air cadets. It has zero effect on the military.

Cadets have a bad rep in the Forces as there are plenty of young people who join up thinking the cadets counts for something. It doesn’t. Just keep you’re mouth shut about being a cadet when you join, no one cares, and there is always that “one guy” who gobs off about being a cadet.

Use the cadets for what it is, a youth club with lots of opportunities. Duke of Edinburgh, map reading, first aid, trips away etc.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This.

I feel former cadets don't realise the value of the courses or experience they did are due to what they are ment to have learnt or developed on said course, not the fact they got a shiny badge or did the course.

Enjoy cadets, make friends, try new stuff. With the ATC, theres an annual Parachuting camp which lets you do (I think) multiple jumps which is neat (but dont be one of the ones trying to say there was some status attached to it), plenty of adventure training and more opportunities to fly aircraft than you can shake a wing at. If it helps you develop traits that will benefit you as a potential officer or just in the military in general, all the better.

8. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Definitely push to get on all courses/take up as many opportunities as possible as although, said above, it doesn't seem to mean much with the forces if you ever have to fall back on another plan different cadet experiences can be used to help boost your CV/personal statement. Ten Tors, DofE, Junior Leaders(?) etc all provide those experiences to help.

9. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks everyone that's great advice