Call from AFCO

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A few weeks back i went to a presentation at the nearest AFCO and yesterday i got a call asking if i was still interested because they are waiting for my forms. My original idea was to go to the presentation, get myself the application forms and fill them out whenever im ready.

Should i call them and say i feel i'm not ready yet? it will most likely be months before i even think about sorting my forms out.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Bud,

Probably best just to tell them your thoughts and when you are looking to join if at all. Best thing is just to be honest mate, I guarantee you they'd rather have you when you are ready, than force you to join up now. I would imagine they get enquiries all the time from people not wanting to join immediately.

All the best

GreyWing

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
GW is spot on.

You can stop or re-start your application at any stage of the selection process & are under no obligation to join- the ball is completely in your court.

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
might still be worth applying though if you think youll be ready in a couple of months, i pushed on with my application as quickly as i could and its still 3 months nearly from when i applied to my prmc date so if you let it drag on a bit longer should give you time to prepare?

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to Lshort but i'm not even running at the moment, nor doing situps but im cracking on with my pressups. i need to find out whats wrong with my back, it might take ages to fix, i just dont know :cry:

Wintle

Reaction score
Hello Mason mate, If you read ninjas post, as he says you can slow the process down whenever you need. Why not get the forms done so you can get your psychometric and interview sorted, and then just explain you feel you need time to work on fitness. If you tell them from the start then they wont mind mate, they certainly arent going to press you into the PRMC or even PJFT earlier than you think your ready because its there time as much as yours at the end of the day.

Besides, once the paperwork is out the way, you dont need to worry about it. Also, I found that once I had applied it all became very real, and my training became much easier to focus on. You will prob find it gives you a boost.

Good luck Mason, from your posts you really seem very determined, once you crack the fitness you will be sorted. GOOd luck mate.

Wintle

Reaction score
Regarding your back buddy, you may find that your body is so unused to exercise that it will really hurt at first. Def have it looked at but thought id offer the encouragement because it may not be as bad as you think. As you have said you spent a long time sitting around and your muscles are prob just a bit shocked from the change. Hopefully as you exercise, and your muscles increase in power, your back will stop hurting so much.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :mrgreen: I really don't think im ready to attend anything at the moment, my head will explode soon i think. Just seems to be obstacle after obstacle blocking me and putting me down. i need to sort my head out before i send off any forms i think, Because im just constantly thinking there's something wrong with me! :evil:

Wintle

Reaction score
Fair enough mate, go for it when your ready.

If i can offer one more bit of advice though, if you want to put your application off for a while then fair play, but be careful, because you will be amazed how easy it is to get sidetracked. I first intended to apply at 16, but put it off as I felt unprepared. Anyway, 5 years later, and I still cant offer a good reason as to why I havent done this years ago. I know I am not the only one to have had this experience.

Keep at it mate.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Wintle said:
Fair enough mate, go for it when your ready.

If i can offer one more bit of advice though, if you want to put your application off for a while then fair play, but be careful, because you will be amazed how easy it is to get sidetracked.
Wise words.

It's easy to defer the opportunity, I've lost count of those that waited until they were overage & then stamped their feet indignantly, looking for an excuse to blame someone else that they could no longer join.

The one that really springs to mind is the fact that maximum age, until recently, was 26. It was increased to 32. Guess what happened?

Yup, a guy that had been over-age for the previous 7 years, wrote to complain that there was no age waiver now he was 33!

My advice? Do it whilst you're young, get the experience THEN decide whether it's going to be a career or a step to your next career. If you don't like it you can leave in your first 6 months anyway, but at least you will have done heaps more than those that like to say they thought about it, but opted not to- they're the ones that would never make it anyway.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh believe me guys, by the time i hit 17 ( june ) i will be well away with my application process, no doubts! and until then i'll still be poking my nose in around here and training as much as i can!

Thanks for all the advise i'm going to ring the AFCO tommorow and tell them i'm going need more time before starting my application.