Calories and Macro during RT

Reaction score
Hey,

Currently I'm pretty controlled with my nutrition and eating quite a lot in a day (3000kcal+).

Just wondering how many calories-ish you would expect in a day during training?

I know some days you may get less so my 2nd question is, What's the least amount of calories you reckon you ate in a day?

Thank you

HAWJ94

Reaction score
Depends on what your goals are.

Myself and a few other lads have dropped weight in order to lighten the load, so if you need to lose weight then a sufficient calorie deficit in line with your daily energy expenditure would be needed.

If 3000kcals is making you gain unwanted weight then it’s too high. If you’re trying to gain weight but it’s not coming then up it higher.

I track and record my food every day, my calories are also around 3000, but this is individualised - it just so happens that we’re on the same. Someone else might be running in the morning, doing a full day of work and then weights in the evening and pushing 4000 calories.

Others may be the opposite with a sedentary job and 3000kcals would make them gain unwanted weight.

On rest days I eat the same as I would on a training day - why? Because I want to give my muscles energy to recover and restore. Fill my glycogen stores and promote muscle tissue recovery.

I think a lot of people get too focus on aesthetic management rather than performance management.

Eat to train and perform, eat to recover and eat enough so you’re not over eating. If you need to lose weight, shift it off and then increase your calories in parallel with your training demands.

hope this helps.

HAWJ94

Reaction score
So what I’m saying - your calorie demands are individual to you, so don’t worry about others.

Eat, train hard, eat, sleep like a baby, eat, progress, repeat.

Just don’t get fat (unless you need to gain weight..... then go for it)

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

Currently I'm pretty controlled with my nutrition and eating quite a lot in a day (3000kcal+).

I know some days you may get less so my 2nd question is, What's the least amount of calories you reckon you ate in a day?

Thank you
As @HAWJ94 has pointed out it varies person to person and what their trying to acheive.

If you underweight or hovering around 65kg you need to eat a lot more but if your someone like me who has came down from 102kg and is now around 88kg but still needing to shed a stone odd I try not to eat more than 2000 calories a day so whatever I burn a day gets taken off that and thats what I go by.

Some might eat 2500 a day others might eat 5000 as you get some people who are 11 stone or others that are absolute tanks that need a lot more calories for their weight it’s just person specific.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
I think his question was specific to calories during Recruit Training.

Im sure someone in the know will comment on this soon. I’m curious why you are asking? Are you trying to plan whether you should add weight now and have some extra to potentially lose it during RT, or the opposite?

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think his question was specific to calories during Recruit Training.

Im sure someone in the know will comment on this soon. I’m curious why you are asking? Are you trying to plan whether you should add weight now and have some extra to potentially lose it during RT, or the opposite?
2sausage,2egg,2bacon, a dollop of beans, bowl of porridge and 2 toast for brekky.

Huge plate of chicken pasta bake and chips for lunch.

Burger and chips for dinner.

9ers is a pie or sausage roll and chips.

Throw in a pussers flapjack, and maybe a dominos at 10pm....lost count of calorie intake however everybody will lose weight especially in the first 9 weeks!

....and don't forget duchies.

Generally some days you will take on around 6-7000cals, probably more but remember you will be up around 5am, not getting headown past midnight, and throughout the day maybe a double gym and a swim session, all the running around between stances and getting to lectures, and extra 'correctional phys' you will be on the go for around 18 hours a day.

When you get a chance to scran, scran!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Just to add to the comment by @Jaykay2343 whatever the quantity consumed in RT it is still likely to be less than calories expended.

Forget the 'my body is a temple' philosophy of the serious athlete which might require an exquisite dietary balance of wagyu beef, seared turbot and quinoa. The Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment have been manufacturing Trained Ranks since World War Two on a diet of greasy sausages, chips and beans.

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You’ll eat like a horse, and in record time.

I often missed breakfast while on camp as my admin was appalling.

Do NOT do that.

Don’t count macros etc etc, it’s helpful for vanity phys but not much else.

As Chelonian and the Bootneck above him, rightly point out, you’ll be eating premier inn standard scran in huge amounts. Nothing special.

There was an article in Mens Health magazine years ago, with a full spread on Marine training and it’s highly engineered nutrition, that basically suggested meals at Lympstone we’re some kind of food science perfected.

They got plenty of letters from cheeky Bootnecks ridiculing the article, one going along the lines of;

‘Highly nutritious? I guess you could call it that, I’d call it a half frozen Cornish pasty, a bag of crisps and a snickers bar!’

(Referencing a standard ‘bag rat’ I’m assuming)

Just train hard and eat whatever you want. As long as you can comfortably achieve the required standards to pass PRMC. You are physically ready to start training proper.

Reaction score
Does this mean I won't get in my daily dose of avocado, dark chocolate and chia seeds?

Joking aside, Thank you for all the replies. From what has been said, I'm not even going to worry about the nutrition and just crack on with it.

Cheers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cuzza22297 Calories Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 20
Theblackout1 Calories Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 6
Jolly1899 Calories in rt General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 10