Calories

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I'm quite a skinny guy and although I'm over the 65kg (73kg) I'll need to bulk up abit if I want to achieve high scores on the gym tests.

As i'm training hard and have always had a high metabolic rate I've used a calculator to work out I need to be consuming around 3,800 calories a day to put on weight. I have some mass gainer which is 500kcal per shake although even with 3 shakes a day and my meals that's only hitting around 3,000. I'm also a student so I can't really afford to be buying food for 4 meals a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How tall are you out of curiosity? Since you're comfortably over the limit, not sure how bulking up would help? The gym tests are all about muscular endurance and packing on loads of muscle may Improve your bench press 1rm but not necessarily your press ups/pull ups, if anything make them harder as you'd be heavier, as well as slowing your bft time down! I'm not an expert but unless you're very tall 73kg seems like a solid weight to be!

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 6'3", I definitely feel like a bit more muscle would help me. Although I do get what you're saying, past a point it would start to slow my running.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im 70kg ish depending on the day 5"10 and my muscular endurance on the gym tests seem to be improving with consistent training.

Chelonian

Reaction score

A few thoughts to consider:

Focus your training on the specific requirements of PRMC.
As far as I understand you won't be required at any point to bench-press. Nor will anyone evaluate your body shape—assuming you exceed the minimum body weight criterion—so aesthetics don't matter.

Consider addressing functional fitness (body weight stuff such as dips, pull-ups, etc.) rather than solely focusing on weights. Even the most ripped gym bunny can struggle with body weight exercises if it's not a regular part of his or her routine.

And don't forget the importance of rest to consolidate gains. Best of luck.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@arny01 's the man to help, got me to 71kg with some simple words of wisdom

"Eat more protein"

Believe it's supposed to be about 1g per pound of body weight so 160g for me per day which I probably am hitting at the moment.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A few thoughts to consider:

Focus your training on the specific requirements of PRMC.
As far as I understand you won't be required at any point to bench-press. Nor will anyone evaluate your body shape—assuming you exceed the minimum body weight criterion—so aesthetics don't matter.

Consider addressing functional fitness (body weight stuff such as dips, pull-ups, etc.) rather than solely focusing on weights. Even the most ripped gym bunny can struggle with body weight exercises if it's not a regular part of his or her routine.

And don't forget the importance of rest to consolidate gains. Best of luck.

Bodyweight exercises and cardio are the only things in my training programme at the moment. Although it's my understanding that bodyweight exercises are weight training to an extent (you're muscles are pushing/pulling against resistance) so was wondering if a high protein, high calorie diet would improve results.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Believe it's supposed to be about 1g per pound of body weight so 160g for me per day which I probably am hitting at the moment.

No but seriously keep up your intake, eat before and after training sessions, obviously weight gain is going to differ between me and you considering you're 6"3 and I'm a measly 5"8 but regardless you shouldn't focus too much on your weight when you're well over the limit. Just keep up your intake and focus on your body weight exercises and BFT times

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No but seriously keep up your intake, eat before and after training sessions, obviously weight gain is going to differ between me and you considering you're 6"3 and I'm a measly 5"8 but regardless you shouldn't focus too much on your weight when you're well over the limit. Just keep up your intake and focus on your body weight exercises and BFT times

OK cheers, so calorie intake doesn't matter too much as long as my protein is where it should be?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Bodyweight exercises and cardio are the only things in my training programme at the moment. Although it's my understanding that bodyweight exercises are weight training to an extent (you're muscles are pushing/pulling against resistance) so was wondering if a high protein, high calorie diet would improve results.

Almost certainly. But bear in mind that some of the most successful rock climbers are young women who exploit a naturally efficient strength-to-weight ratio. For example, my nine-year old niece can do dips, pull-ups and climb ropes as quick as the average chimpanzee. :)

Bulk does not always guarantee results in body-weight exercises but everyone is different physically. It's definitely worth keeping an open mind about how to achieve training goals.

As stated above by @Seags98 the go-to guy for advice about balancing training and nutrition is @arny01

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That's a very talented 9 year old!! :eek:

I guess as long as I'm not dropping below my daily recommended amount (approx 3,000) I will see improvements in my scores and maintain my current weight.

Chelonian

Reaction score
That's a very talented 9 year old!! :eek:

To be honest, many active youngsters have a natural talent for shifting their own body weight. Plus of course an inate sense of being utterly indestructible. :)
But, as good a climber as she is, my niece struggles with correct form press-ups. The notion of 'fitness' is a complex thing.

As a rule of thumb, balancing calorie intake to calorie expenditure should maintain body weight. But consider not being too earnest and scientific about the process. If you have the opportunity to use a climbing wall at a sports centre it is top exercise and often has a good social scene too.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I'm quite a skinny guy and although I'm over the 65kg (73kg) I'll need to bulk up abit if I want to achieve high scores on the gym tests.

As i'm training hard and have always had a high metabolic rate I've used a calculator to work out I need to be consuming around 3,800 calories a day to put on weight. I have some mass gainer which is 500kcal per shake although even with 3 shakes a day and my meals that's only hitting around 3,000. I'm also a student so I can't really afford to be buying food for 4 meals a day.

If your currently over the minimum weight requirements don't worry about putting in more weight.

If your body puts on to much weight wether it be muscle or fat and it's not used to that extra weight it will effect your performances in one way or another.

Best thing to do is not worry about your weight and just concentrate on the things you will be tested at prmc and stick with that.

What is your current stats for the prmc gym tests/bft?

Also why are you tmu or for how long?

Good luck

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I try And avoid giving dietry advice if possible, because your weight will fluctuate during RT. Im lead to believe that most recruits initially loose weight during the first 9 weeks, then steadily gain, before loosing again during the Commando phase.

If your hovering on the limit, and have to diet and lift heavy weight to get over the weight limit, chances are you'll dip under whilst in RT. Although Im lead to believe, the Med Team can prescribe protein shakes to help?

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If your currently over the minimum weight requirements don't worry about putting in more weight.

If your body puts on to much weight wether it be muscle or fat and it's not used to that extra weight it will effect your performances in one way or another.

Best thing to do is not worry about your weight and just concentrate on the things you will be tested at prmc and stick with that.

What is your current stats for the prmc gym tests/bft?

Also why are you tmu or for how long?

Good luck

Current stats are press ups 21, sit ups 40, pull ups 3 pjft return 9:50

I'm TMU until 24th of Jan so I'll book my medical for soon after then look at a PJFT in Feb with a POC sometime in March/April I guess.

So although my stats are far from great at the moment only been training properly for a few weeks and have plenty of time to get them up to where they need to be.

I guess I'll just try not to think too much about it and if I don't start to see improvements after a few weeks then put it down to my diet and try get some more calories in.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I try And avoid giving dietry advice if possible, because your weight will fluctuate during RT. I'm lead to believe that most recruits initially loose weight during the first 9 weeks, then steadily gain, before loosing again during the Commando phase.

If your hovering on the limit, and have to diet and lift heavy weight to get over the weight limit, chances are you'll dip under whilst in RT. Although I'm lead to believe, the Med Team can prescribe protein shakes to help?

That is one thing I was worried about as I've also heard recruits lose weight in training and don't you get discharged if you drop under 65kg? But don't really need to think about that until the selection process is behind me!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Current stats are press ups 21, sit ups 40, pull ups 3 pjft return 9:50

I'm TMU until 24th of Jan so I'll book my medical for soon after then look at a PJFT in Feb with a POC sometime in March/April I guess.

So although my stats are far from great at the moment only been training properly for a few weeks and have plenty of time to get them up to where they need to be.

I guess I'll just try not to think too much about it and if I don't start to see improvements after a few weeks then put it down to my diet and try get some more calories in.

I'm assuming you've passed the interview so have you started your security clearance? , I may be wrong but I thought POC intakes were around September time but I might be mixed up there so best get that info checked out if possible!.

That's not to bad then if it's only been a few weeks so don't worry about your stats just keep on top of the fitness and your results will soon get better in time so don't worry to much about it.

What's your current weekly fitness routine like be interested to know so can see what it is you do?

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've passed the interview so have you started your security clearance? , I may be wrong but I thought POC intakes were around September time but I might be mixed up there so best get that info checked out if possible!.

That's not to bad then if it's only been a few weeks so don't worry about your stats just keep on top of the fitness and your results will soon get better in time so don't worry to much about it.

What's your current weekly fitness routine like be interested to know so can see what it is you do?

No, not had my sift interview yet.

I'm 99% sure the process from here goes:
Medical
PJFT
Sift
POC
AIB

There is one YO batch a year that starts training in September however POC's are year round.

I am starting my 3rd week of the following programme tomorrow and will continue it until I've done 10 weeks (Christmas hols) then will step it up a bit before starting arnys for 10/12 weeks before my POC.

My programme:

Mon - RMFA
Tues-hill sprints 1.5mile there and back
Wed-40 min recovery cycle low resistance
Press/sit/pull 3 sets to max
Thurs-am fintan pm40 min recovery swim
Fri-4.0mile run (increase by 0.5 each week to max of 8miles)
Sat - rest
Sun- PJFT mock

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No, not had my sift interview yet.

I'm 99% sure the process from here goes:
Medical
PJFT
Sift
POC
AIB

There is one YO batch a year that starts training in September however POC's are year round.

I am starting my 3rd week of the following programme tomorrow and will continue it until I've done 10 weeks (Christmas hols) then will step it up a bit before starting arnys for 10/12 weeks before my POC.

My programme:

Mon - RMFA
Tues-hill sprints 1.5mile there and back
Wed-40 min recovery cycle low resistance
Thurs-am fintan pm40 min recovery swim
Fri-4.0mile run (increase by 0.5 each week to max of 8miles)
Sat - rest
Sun- PJFT mock

Seems like you got everything planned so wish you all the good luck for that January will come around very fast before you know it!

Seems like you got a nice fitness routine going on there just stick with it and you'll get to where you need to be.