Calories

Theblackout1

Reaction score
hello,
I do alot of training to get into the best shape for the POC, e.g swimming, weightlifting, triathlon etc. however, im worried im not getting enough calories. at the moment im getting about 3800 calories. should i be eating more and what are the best foods to increase calories without eating junk food.

Thank you

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but 3800 is 1300 above the average amount recommended for an adult male so I think it's enough!

Yazoo

Reaction score
hello,
I do alot of training to get into the best shape for the POC, e.g swimming, weightlifting, triathlon etc. however, I'm worried I'm not getting enough calories. at the moment I'm getting about 3800 calories. should i be eating more and what are the best foods to increase calories without eating junk food.

Thank you
Depends on your weight and maintenance calories for that specific weight. Also depends on how many calories you would be burning from your daily exercise. To gain weight, you would have to be in a caloric surplus from your bodyweight's maintenance calories. i.e. Maintenance calories = 2500, you burn off 500 calories on a typical day. Would need 3300 calories to gain weight slowly and healthily as in a 300 calorie surplus.

Yazoo

Reaction score
hello,
I do alot of training to get into the best shape for the POC, e.g swimming, weightlifting, triathlon etc. however, I'm worried I'm not getting enough calories. at the moment I'm getting about 3800 calories. should i be eating more and what are the best foods to increase calories without eating junk food.

Thank you
As for healthy foods, calorie dense foods like wholegrain rice and pasta are always a good option.

the happy sloth

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your weight and maintenance calories for that specific weight. Also depends on how many calories you would be burning from your daily exercise. To gain weight, you would have to be in a caloric surplus from your bodyweight's maintenance calories. i.e. Maintenance calories = 2500, you burn off 500 calories on a typical day. Would need 3300 calories to gain weight slowly and healthily as in a 300 calorie surplus.
500 calories on a typical day? I don't think you quite understand how nutrition works....