Campervans

ave!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Anybody here have a VW Campervan?

Just got myself a 15 plate T5 VW Campervan (i know you get issued one after a seniors but i couldnt wait that long) and am in the process of converting it. I've insulated the back, carpeted it, put in a fancy radio and ordered all the interior furniture which i currently cannot wait to arrive and then drunkenly fit.

Anyone else *text deleted* talk about van things? Currently trying to find someone or some company to fit the electrics as i fear that i will kill myself attempting this myself...

Mosquito

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a Transit Custom (probably a 14 plate) and doing it up as a semi-camper, semi-motorbike transport. Looking to get into racing soon enough, and because the trackbikes lack headlights, getting to and from tracks will be an issue. Was eyeing up a VW Transporter but the prices have gone up and you have to take out a second mortgage for a service from what I've read!

Did you use that Dodo stuff for insulation and sound-deadening? Tempted to get it but I've seen B&Q do some similar packing for a fraction of the cost. Good on you for carpeting by yourself too, 100% going to pay someone else to do that for me.

My plan is to have some sort of bench which pulls out into a bed (for sleeping at the circuits) as well as a wardrobe of sorts to hang my leathers in. What are you looking to put in yours?

ave!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ah mate thats a great idea. Almost got a Custom myself.

What im doing is getting flat pack ply furniture from Vanfurniture.com - i *text deleted* transport a vespa around with me (its style not speed...) so similar to you. The kit i got has a U shape bed so my idea was to 'sit' a vespa with straps from hard points in the 'U' shape. Im guessing your bike is *text deleted* get gopping though? Vanfurniture defo do a bench bed as i was contemplating it for mine.

Going to get the furniture in, get the leisure battery in so its bare essentials are there then just drive places to go walking really. Really want to put a bit of leave in down the line and tour Scotland.

I got the bubblewrap type insulation from B&Q, took all the panels possible off and used carpet glue and a fair bit of time to measure up the insulation to the frame of the van then stuck it on direct. The B&Q insulation i got had a vapour barrier on it too so was happy.

Seen regarding price too - i was lucky and got a good deal but with staycations being a thing its gone crazy.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Woo van stuff. I’ve got a transit custom. No proper mods to it yet, I’m into mountain biking so I like having the back free to sling the bikes in similar to you guys. I’m looking into getting a tent box for the roof, then maybe looking at setting up a bench/cooking area in the back, and then it will leave room for the bikes too.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
He has everything you need to know!
Really like his attention to details.

I once wanted to convert van and do van life full time but realised if I am joining the Corps it wouldn’t worth it financially.

My goal still is to live in a tiny house on wheels as an eco housing alternative to a mortgage.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Seems there's more people than I thought it'd be!

Agree with you there @ave! because I was considering this before furlough, having a real bug to go to some track days with the view of doing the Isle of Man TT at some point in the future. Looking at around a year ago, a SWB T5 with decent miles would only be around 6 grand from what I was looking at. Now I can't find any at all on Autotrader, even with the price limit bumped up to around 10 grand. All the talk of staycations and stuff is clearly tempting to a lot of people as you said. My hope is they get sick of it and flog them off for cheaper than they bought them for. Happened with gym stuff when the first lockdown ended, got some tidy dumbbells and kettlebells for dirt cheap.

Thanks for linking that website! I was actually *text deleted* DIY all of it, and this sure as hell saves me a job. With my DIY experience, I'd probably end up spending the same amount having to get new bits of wood -banghead- What'd work well is just the pull out bed and cabinet, with space for the bike on the other half that the bed doesn't take up. Then put a wheel chock against the bulkhead to hold the front wheel in place and strap it down to the left-hand mounting points. As it'll all be riding on track, the bike will stay relatively clean, so the most dirt I'd see is when I bin it into a corner haha, regardless a pit-mat will be placed on the floor just in case of any drips and for that gucci factor to trick people into thinking it's a proper race van

@SCOTTY6 that's brilliant mate! What year did you end up going for? For me, all I care about is A/C and cruise control, might as well get the luxuries if I can!

ave!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To be honest you get more shiny bells and whistles than a base T5 in a Transit Custom, its literally just the VW badge. I was driving down the line on a sunday in the snow the week i brought it and the alternator went. Threaders. 7 hour wait for RAC. Battery totally dead but luckily i had my kit in the back and gen got in my slug and waited. So that hit my confidence in it initially.

They do good stuff - i ordered my set few weeks back and i reckon they are inundated.. Hoping it arrives when i am on leave so i can get it cracked.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Nightmare! They do have the style points, that's for sure. But buying it off of looks alone won't get you far in the long run, as I've found out many times before.

Brilliant, definitely show us some pictures if you can, they don't have any of the furniture actually inside a van on their website

ave!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When i get it all in i'll put some phots up if you like. Hoping it'll be simple ish.

BB15RA

Reaction score
If you are thinking about roof tents you should look into getting a pop top. There are plenty of companies who will fit them a quite expensive but so are roof tents.

The good thing about a pop top is you have an instant bed and extra head room with out losing load capacity and some even open up with zips so you have a view to sit and have a beer.

As far as electrics go plenty of companies will do it, but if you look on pintrest there are plenty of people who share diagrams of how to wire in your kit and you get some really good ideas for layouts.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Seems there's more people than I thought it'd be!

Agree with you there @ave! because I was considering this before furlough, having a real bug to go to some track days with the view of doing the Isle of Man TT at some point in the future. Looking at around a year ago, a SWB T5 with decent miles would only be around 6 grand from what I was looking at. Now I can't find any at all on Autotrader, even with the price limit bumped up to around 10 grand. All the talk of staycations and stuff is clearly tempting to a lot of people as you said. My hope is they get sick of it and flog them off for cheaper than they bought them for. Happened with gym stuff when the first lockdown ended, got some tidy dumbbells and kettlebells for dirt cheap.

Thanks for linking that website! I was actually *text deleted* DIY all of it, and this sure as hell saves me a job. With my DIY experience, I'd probably end up spending the same amount having to get new bits of wood -banghead- What'd work well is just the pull out bed and cabinet, with space for the bike on the other half that the bed doesn't take up. Then put a wheel chock against the bulkhead to hold the front wheel in place and strap it down to the left-hand mounting points. As it'll all be riding on track, the bike will stay relatively clean, so the most dirt I'd see is when I bin it into a corner haha, regardless a pit-mat will be placed on the floor just in case of any drips and for that gucci factor to trick people into thinking it's a proper race van

@SCOTTY6 that's brilliant mate! What year did you end up going for? For me, all I care about is A/C and cruise control, might as well get the luxuries if I can!
I managed to get a good deal on a 19 plate. Still pricey but it was immaculate. And il drive it until it dies. Automatic too and il never go back.

yeah I’m *text deleted* go for a tent box one. Mate of mine has one and it’s bombers.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you run into problems give these a call, they are helpful.
My days of camper van have long gone, I now tour on the Harley and sleep in a hotel *text deleted*

sy_lume

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
For anyone thats bought a transit custom or anything similar, how much did it cost all in all? Van and conversion?

Mosquito

Reaction score
For anyone thats bought a transit custom or anything similar, how much did it cost all in all? Van and conversion?
As Ave and I said, the prices seem to have skyrocketed for vans because everyone fancies a staycation and a DIY project at the same time. The state of some of the vans you see for the price they are is ludicrous. Probably be looking around 7+ grand for a decent van? That's just a ballpark figure.

VW Transporter has probably the most aftermarket support in the way of camper conversions. Transit Custom comes at a close second.

As for price, it really depends what you want done. A lot of companies, such as the ones Ave listed, give DIY flatpack kits that can just be put in the back and bolted in. Saves you having someone else do it, hence saving money. That can give you a bed, a few cupboards, maybe a table. You'll probably want to carpet line and floor the back too, as well as sound-proof and insulate so it's not horrible and metal and cold. If you're seriously camping as opposed to using it as a day-van, you'll need gas bottle, a water supply and a leisure battery so you're not draining your main when using the stuff in the back.

End of the day it is as expensive as you want to make it. Some companies sell pre-renovated campers for upwards of 50 grand. Seen some DIY projects on YouTube only cost them about 6 grand all in.