Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Camping Kit

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by JamieC, Oct 19, 2011.

1. JamieC

JamieC New Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've been looking for some camping/expedition tips, and I thought this would be one of the best places to ask.

What do you do with wet kit/how do you dry it when out on exercise? I usually put smaller items in my sleeping bag with me to dry overnight, but what about bigger items like trousers etc.?

What's the best way of using a basha? I use a basha instead of a tent, and sometimes get a bit wet when its really raining, how do the forces do it?

Also, I'm fed up of lugging around big roll mats that I can't fit inside my bag, any advice on smaller or foldable ones?

Thanks guys

2. Chrisswan

Chrisswan New Member

dont really have any tips but how come you deffered your application till next year?

3. rmrnod

rmrnod New Member

First thing you don't get to dry kit unless It is a nice summers day, the words wet and dry will soon come to be familiar! In essence you sleep in dry kit and wet kit just gets stowed in burgen untill the morning when they get put on again (wet)

Basha- poncho, bivvie sheet etc! Best way for sleeping is a basic tent shape strung up at both ends in the middle and pegged out either sides nice and tight so rain runs off! Two men to a bivvie so burgens at one end and rest of kit at the other but on your own guess you could use sticks and foliage to give some protection from rain!

And roll mat get used to it issue roll mat for training is big and goes on the out side!

Hope that helps basically so far in training we have learnt you get wet you get cold you get tired but you get over it

• Like Like x 1
  4. JamieC

JamieC New Member

I applied just after I started sixth form because I wasn't enjoying sixth form at all, passed my medical and then realized I wasn't going to be doing myself any favours dropping out. So I decided to finish my first year of sixth form and they deferred me until April 2011. I then found a perfect two year college course and started that, and asked for another year so I could finish that. They told me to just go back when I wanted to continue my application, so technically I'm not deferred really.

5. JamieC

JamieC New Member

I'll just stop being so soft then haha!

Yeh that's how I've been setting it up, but I get rain in either end, do you set them up pretty low to the ground? As in, wide and not very tall?

EDIT: One more question. When using a basha do you just put your roll mat straight to the ground? Or do you have something between the ground and your roll mat/you/your kit?

That's helped, I wondered if I was missing some tricks but I'm just being a bit of a princess.

6. rmrnod

rmrnod New Member

The centre of the bivvie shelter should be roughly knee height depending on the weather conditions if u getting in at the end like I said bergens at one end and webbing helmet at the other end so bit of protection but you could use foliage,

And yeh you put roll mat on the floor then on top of that you get in you sleeping back inside a bivvie bag which keep you dry

7. JamieC

JamieC New Member

Cheers Samamps :)

8. j05h94

j05h94 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Best way of drying stuff like shirts an trousers is to sleep with them on in your sleeping bag mate. And I found that bivvies are best low, kit at the sides, and the bivvie raised in the centre by a bit of para cord tied to it and then to a tree. Its sort of hard to explain rather than show haha

9. JamieC

JamieC New Member

I'll give that a go then cheers. Yeh I think that's what I do, to be fair I've done it in some pretty heavy rain and only got slightly wet, did it in the snow and was fine, so I think I'm just being a bit fussy. Good luck in your PRMC

10. fluxed02

fluxed02 New Member

Basha = /oo\ :blink1:

11. rmrnod

rmrnod New Member

Just so you know the idea of sleeping in your kit don't do it! One reason if you get caught u will get a 'extra phys' in training and the other reason is it makes your sleeping bag wet and It may be ok the first night but when you have to get into a wet sleeping bag in the cold the next night you are at risk of hypothermia and at the least you won't sleep well being cold and wet and u will want as much sleep as you can possibly get!

12. wd88

wd88 Member

13. wd88

wd88 Member

The worst advice i have ever seen on here. If you do this, you will go down.

14. j05h94

j05h94 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I have personally tried it 4 times whilst camping, it worked fine, a mate of mine laughed at me and hung his up to dry over the night, woke up to wet kit and me sitting there in my dry kit laughing at him. Also when I went up to the Army infantry school, the instructors and recruits that had just passed out also recommended this!

15. Matt B

Matt B Royal Marines Commando

Very poor advice from someone with no experience.

If you keep wet kit on at night you're not going to get the much needed decent sleep. So the next day you'll be operationally less effective. And this will only multiply as the days and nights go on. Plus you can end up getting ill. So in both circumstances you become a liability and a burden to your oppos.

You can't fit kit at the sides when you are sharing a bivvie with your oppo. Plus having kit at the ends helps shelter you from wind and rain.

And as for your crazy string in the middle idea;

If you get contacted in the middle of the night and are at risk of being overwhelmed by a larger force, you need to be up, everything packed away, get some rounds down and gone in seconds. You won't have time to mess about undoing or cutting bits of string from trees!!

16. wd88

wd88 Member

Just give it some thought. Stop being stupid.

17. Jbc

Jbc Royal Marines Commando -Moderator

Guys, the best way to dry out wet kit is to have it as close to the body as possible. However, do not, repeat: DO NOT put wet kit in your sleeping bag... Your sleeping bag is your best method of staying dry and warm in an emergency... A wet bag is a bag not working properly.

If you have wet kit you only have 2 options: You either wear it and use body heat to dry it out or you find a location secure enough that you can hang it up and use a source of heat to dry it out.

The main idea behind being taught "wet and dry" routine is that you get into your wet clothes as soon as you get out from your bag, and you only ever wear your dry clothes if you're going to be in your bag.

I heard a rumour that they don't teach/enforce wet and dry routine anymore, I hope to God it isn't true.

18. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Jbc, you could have a point about not teaching/enforcing wet/dry routine. Apparently, soldiers are forgetting how to live out of bergens nowadays as there's no need for it in FOBs. They reckon its also the main reason soldiers fail SF selection too!!

19. wd88

wd88 Member

I was doing wet and dry all the time at CTC recently. Don't worry.

20. j05h94

j05h94 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don't have to use my advice, I was simply sharing what I have found works. As for the string thing, I appreciate that that is probably not the best thing to do at CTC, but where I camp I'm probably not going to get ambushed. Everyone has different ways of doing things, and I accept that with my way, there are major flaws, but for the length of my camps I'm ok with it. I'm sure if I am given an opportunity to undergo RT the way will change