Can’t get in

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately on my medical referral on Wednesday I was told by the Doctor that it’s a no I won’t be able to get in the Royal Marines.

My hearing was actually totally fine, if not good, as it turned out. How ever the problem was that there was damage inside my right ear which means it is “dangerous” for me to go scuba diving or be in high pressure environments. Apart from that it would never cause me any bother in day to day Marine life.

So that’s that.

sbradb

Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that mate. :(
I’m not familiar with everything that is considered a bar to entry- are you positive you can’t appeal against it? I might be wrong but I’m sure plenty of Marines go through their entire careers without scuba diving!

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that mate. :(
I’m not familiar with everything that is considered a bar to entry- are you positive you can’t appeal against it? I might be wrong but I’m sure plenty of Marines go through their entire careers without scuba diving!

Not sure. I know I’m so frustrated because it seems like such a minor issue. However I have heard that the Army can be more lenient when it comes to the medical? Can anyone back this up? Thinking of giving that a shot.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Unfortunately on my medical referral on Wednesday I was told by the Doctor that it’s a no I won’t be able to get in the Royal Marines.

My hearing was actually totally fine, if not good, as it turned out. How ever the problem was that there was damage inside my right ear which means it is “dangerous” for me to go scuba diving or be in high pressure environments. Apart from that it would never cause me any bother in day to day Marine life.

So that’s that.

I don’t remember doing anything involving SCUBA diving or altitude work?

Call him out on it and tell him that he’s just there for a reference and that he doesn’t have a clue what the RM do.

Unless of course the whole pressure thing from blowing stuff up will affect it...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you'd like to discuss the matter further, so we may look into it on your behalf, please message myself, @CHUB! and/or @Secret_Squirrel outlining the specific details, what has happened so far and what the exact reason is. If we can help, we will.

Bear in mind that if one ear falls below the hearing standard, the timpanic membrane is not intact or you cannot pop your ears, then there's likely to be a significant issue. The latter issue is simply to do with the fact we often move troops around by air and the pain can be excrutiating & debilitating if you cannot equalise the atmospheric pressure.

D

dodgyknees

However I have heard that the Army can be more lenient when it comes to the medical? Can anyone back this up? Thinking of giving that a shot.

The Army have the same Med Standards as the RM but apply them differently so it would be worth a shot if and when you are absolutely sure you have explored and exhausted every possible option to join the RM.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you'd like to discuss the matter further, so we may look into it on your behalf, please message myself, @CHUB! and/or @Secret_Squirrel outlining the specific details, what has happened so far and what the exact reason is. If we can help, we will.

Bear in mind that if one ear falls below the hearing standard, the timpanic membrane is not intact or you cannot pop your ears, then there's likely to be a significant issue. The latter issue is simply to do with the fact we often move troops around by air and the pain can be excrutiating & debilitating if you cannot equalise the atmospheric pressure.

Ok thanks very much I’ll message you.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Would asking your AFCO about it give any bearing?

New Threads