Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Can I become an officer without direct entry?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by future-commando, Jan 17, 2020.

1. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    So I have been told by the online support team that if I want to commission as an officer from trained ranks (RMC), that I can.

I can't apply directly as I don't have ucas points or my gcse math's. I was informed that after recruit training I will have both of these and be able to commission as a YO. Apparently a transfer would be arranged from RMC to RMO? Is this correct and how likely is it to happen?

I just want to know what opportunities I have available when I complete RT.

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

What you have been told is strictly true, but the reality is slightly different. Each year a few, if any, trained ranks are given Corps Commissions and join that year's batch. They are selected after a thorough process that has identified their leadership potential and just because you would like to go down that route does not mean it would happen. Also, should you not make the grade then you cannot revert back to being an OR, you will be discharged.

As for having a GCSE maths after training, whoever told you that is wrong. You can study for GCSEs in your time once you have passed out and joined a Unit. You simply will not have time in RT for study. I do believe that there is a process that during RT you gain some sort of educational qualification, but I have not heard of GCSEs being handed out. You need to bear in mind that a fair percentage of ORs have university degrees, but have chosen not to go down the officer route.

Should you be fortunate to gain promotion as an OR, later on in your career, after you have attained the rank of Sgt, then you can apply for a Senior Corps Commission and if successful become an officer, but your duties will be limited to primarily admin roles.

In short, if you want to become an officer, then get the required educational qualifications and apply. There is no easy route.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above, by those more in the know than me.

Good luck

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You have the opportunity to undertake further education AFTER completing recruit training under the Enhanced Learning Credits scheme: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/

You do not acquire any GCSEs as a result of completing recruit training nor level 3 qualifications.

For a Corps Commission within the service, to be eligible, you need 5 GCSEs including maths & English. Level 3 qualifications are not required however there's a couple of things to bear in mind.

Firstly you need to demonstrate potential for promotion and be recommended by your reporting officer, be under age 26 upon commencement of YO training. You also need to pass POC and AIB ....AND be selected.

On average there are about two to five Corps Commissions earned each year for the single annual YO intake. You could, if eligible & recommended however, go for a commission and transfer to the Royal Navy as a Logistics or Warfare Officer (unless you hold a vocational degree), there are more Officer vacancies available in the RN, including Diving Officer...after qualifying as a Warfare Officer.

Be aware that those failing RMYO training do not have an automatic right to revert to RM Other Rank and could be discharged depending on training record and circumstances.

Edit: Whoops! Just noticed Alan has replied similarly. There we are, you have it in Stereo :)

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  4. Ryan W

Ryan W Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why this is, could you explain it for me please.
    Surely its a waste of time and money to bin them off just because they cant move up to the next level so to speak

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Why what? Do you mean being unable to return to being an OR? If so I believe that it's not just an RM thing, but one that goes back many years and something to do with an officer in the ranks. Hopefully @dodgyknees can give an accurate explanation, rather than me just trying to blag it!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    I can only speak with authority about the Army but I strongly believe it is the same in the other services. Once commissioned, you can not return to service in the ranks. As well as the obvious effect on inter-personal relationships within the chain of command, there are also implications for pensions and other terms and conditions of service. Additionally, it would be extremely difficult to manage an individual's expectations once reverted, becoming discontented with their original role having been on the other side of the fence. All applicants from the ranks are warned that thee able to revert but also that their length of service may be reduced if they fail to meet certain career milestones. Too many soldiers throw their hat into the ring of commissioning without understanding the implications should they fail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Further to the above....
    Selection for any role is supposed to be rigorous enough to establish future potential to complete training. A person entering into training with a half-arsed attitude that if all else fails they can re-apply for a job they previously no longer wanted is probably not the best way to forge a career.

Demotion in rank is usually a tool used used for a failure to meet the standards required of the post. For a Marine to become an RM commissioned officer he is usually promoted several non-comissioned ranks and not technically qualified to revert a single rank, for example.

There have been exceptions, but it would be extremely unwise to take it as a given.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dangerous Steve

Dangerous Steve New Member

I believe it's because a Royal Marine YO is commissioned as a 2Lt on starting YO training. So they already hold a commission and therefore cannot just simply revert back to being an OR. With the Army, RN and RAF on the other hand, you gain your commission following completion of officer training (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the RN and RAF). So you're an Officer Cadet up until that point. I know of at least one person in the Army who went through officer training from the ranks and got to Term 3 but did not complete it for whatever reason. He was RTU'd and just continued where he left off from his previous unit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  9. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    That is interesting to say the least.

So upon beginning the YO training you already have a commission, unlike officer training for other branches.

I guess it really does affirm the care they put in to developing RM recruits.