Can I join the marines

Gary_barclay

Reaction score
I am 15 currently and very passionate about joining the marines. A year ago I very stupidly got myself an RJR for stealing form sainsburys in my local town I have also been accused of stealing a phone, wrongly i might add, and i may be found guilty or responsible because of my previous. The marines is all I have seen my self doing for the past five years will it still be possible with a criminal record?

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am 15 currently and very passionate about joining the marines. A year ago I very stupidly got myself an RJR for stealing form sainsburys in my local town I have also been accused of stealing a phone, wrongly i might add, and i may be found guilty or responsible because of my previous. The marines is all I have seen my self doing for the past five years will it still be possible with a criminal record?
Might be wrong but i dont think the rm are looking for convicted thieves... prob be some wait before u can apply again if it was that recent like a few years

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm uncertain but I think it is a 4 year wait for convictions.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There's usually a waiting time before they'll accept you, and this is halved if you're under the age of 18.
You should begin the application process and see what the papers say - you get 2-3 pages of legal stuff to read through.

If you have to wait, why not try and go to college until you're 18, then apply after that?

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, you stole from sainsburys once? I work in a shop, and we don't really prosecute shoplifters unless they repeatedly do it... Anyway, contact your nearest afco (armed forces career officer,use google) give them a ring and ask. Or Ninja may confirm. Pretty sure it will be a wait before you can join, so in the mean time..college? fitness? I'd recommend trying to build a credible cv at your age; with qualifications or jobs. You're also at the peak age to build fitness, so start training.

If it is your dream, then a few years won't hurt!

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, you stole from sainsburys once? I work in a shop, and we don't really prosecute shoplifters unless they repeatedly do it
I also work in a shop and agree with this.

Yet again it depends on what you tryed to steal!
Difference between a mars bar and a television!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Once your criminal convictions are "spent" under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act you may apply but the selection decision depends very much on your personal qualities, evidence of maturity, regret, reform, etc.,

djzeden

Reaction score
will an IN10 (driving without third party insurance) restrict my application, received late last year

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Eligibility depends on the penalty & when it's considered spent.

Driving without insurance is classed as a serious motoring offence, which usually surprises the offender, but not the injured party in the event of an accident.