Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Can i put my application on hold to improve my fitness?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by future-commando, Oct 16, 2019.

1. future-commando

future-commando New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all, i am currently TMU due to a failed peak flow test. I have a spinometry test at my doctors on the 29/10/19. Presuming i pass that all okay i am likely to be told to book my pjft in November. The problem is i am no where near fit enough yet and i wouldn't feel comfortable taking my PJFT knowing i would likley fail. Is there an option to put my application on hold for say 3 months to follow the pre prmc trainning programme and to get my fitness where it should be?

Hopefully my medical is passed as my current peak flow is 450 best which is apparently low!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You can withdraw & restart your application at any point, it's just the click of a mouse.

Contact your AFCO to keep them in the loop, otherwise upon passing the medical you will be sent a PJFT letter automatically and fail by default - Not a great start, particularly in view of the fact this is the second time you have applied.

If you are swimming three times a week, as stated, your CV fitness should be quite good and as you now know, the PJFT standard has changed in your favour since you last applied.

On the peak flow issue, it's usually technique that's the problem and a Navy Diver kindly presented his solution to the issue on Rum Ration a little while back:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/medical-fail-low-peak-flow.128789/#post-1310224

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Best bet is speak to your AFCO sooner rather than later but let the application run long enough to resolve your medical status. Generally you have two weeks to pass the PJFT after being passed fit, upon receipt of the PJFT letter.

With regards your AFCO being eager to get you in, there is a shortage of viable candidates and your careers adviser is under pressure to move your application forward. If someone has passed their medical and not taken their PJFT and is "Active" on the Recruiting System, then Lympstone will want to know why sooner or later.

As ever, some Careers Advisers are more pro-active than others and a good example of one that's prepared to literally go the extra mile for his candidates, is illustrated in this article on the Royal Navy website yesterday: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-a...ober/17/191017-commandos-march-with-recruiter

If he's your careers adviser, you'll be hounded across the finish line of the 30-miler ;)

With regards taking 3 weeks out of training, there are recruits who ill-advisedly take their foot off the gas during leave periods, but apart from making things unnecessarily difficult for themselves by not keeping their phys ticking-over, the majority have to motivation to crack-on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sengdroma

Sengdroma Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I am going to post this here as it seems to be semi related. If not please feel free to move it.

My son is TMU on weight and is just age 17. He has passed his interview and psychometric test. After doing his GCSE he joined a MAPS course at Duchy College in Cornwall to keep fit, and touch base with military way of life.

I spoke to his tutor today and they stated in their opinion that he should wait another school year (so do his PJFT in 2021) as my son is a typical teenager still and not really mature enough to go in - regardless if he gained the 4kg he needs by March (under 18 so medical only lasts a year I think).

The guys running the course are an ex Engineer / Commando, 2 ex Army and an ex Royal Marine so I trust their opinions. They believe he is better off going in at nearer to 19.

If that is the case and personally I agree with them what happens with the tests, interviews and medical that he has done? How long do they last please?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

When it comes to joining advice, anyone that's joined-up can offer the benefit of their experience.

The difficult bit is remaining current with regards recruiting advice. For example, although my job role includes recruiting, I left mainstream recruiting last December and there have been 20 or 30 changes in eligibility criteria and process changes in that ten months....let alone ten years or more.

Bottom line is, all advice, however well-intentioned, needs to be verified by the individual's current careers adviser.

Generally, the recruit test is valid 3 years, most other elements 1 year, except a PJFT pass which should be taken & passed within 6 months prior to entry.

If any of those elements have changed, I'm sure a current careers adviser will smite me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

• Like Like x 1