Can Iraq return to a single peaceful nation?

D

DevonCadet

What are peoples views on this? Do you think that Iraq will eventually stabalise and return to a country with a central government that goes unchallenged by factions / militias, and will this happen with or without the withdrawl of coalition forces?

Views please.....

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i think the country will never go bak to a normal country, there are too many freedom fighters and suicide bombers that believe in Al Queada and Allah all that s*text deleted*t.

so i dont think it will happen any time soon.

MT6690

Reaction score
I believe one day iraq will be a nice place like the UAE. but afghanistan will not, thats a diffrent story. Iraq is far from being like the UAE at present, but if it sorts itself out, with the mony it can get from oil, it can rebuild itself and become a rich a decent country.

MT

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I don't think so to be honest mate,
I'd like it too,
obviously for the Iraqi people,
but also it would show the world that coalition forces temporarily occupying a country was a good thing,
because then coalition countries might get UN backing to help out other countries like Zimbabwe.

But I think,
like with countries like Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Liberia and others.
It will be a place of constant internal conflict,
it may go through good spells,
but the peace will be short lived and easily broken.

Sadly I'd say it will be a long term deployment,
and troops will probably be brought out once it gets a bit better than it is now,
and we will probably only redeploy if things get really bad,
otherwise it will become another damaged country left to it's own devices.

But after saying all that,
Northern Ireland is a much safer place these days,
and we eventually pulled out of that,
and it doesn't seem likely that the IRA will carry out more attacks,
and although it's still sectional in Northern Ireland,
It's not like how it was in the 70's and 80's,
so I'd say that was a peace that has been secured for the long term.

Although obviously the casualties in Iraq vastly outweigh those in Northern Ireland,
it still shows that long term peace is possible even after decades of troops being there.

Sorry for such a long post,
Joe.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
But the problem is MT,
who decides what's a decent country?
The people of Iraq don't want/like democracy,
well a lot of them anyway,
we're trying to install Western things that they don't want.

And if you're saying Iraq can sell oil to make it self decent,
then won't it be a nation that's based on greed?
Because the only way forward is selling oil?
And that won't help the mal-distribution of wealth,
the government will get richer,
and could continue to abuse it's people.
And what if they stop selling oil to the West,
are we *text deleted* like that?

Oh and what's the UAE?

Joe

MT6690

Reaction score
But the problem is MT,
who decides what's a decent country?
The people of Iraq don't want/like democracy,
well a lot of them anyway,
we're trying to install Western things that they don't want.

And if you're saying Iraq can sell oil to make it self decent,
then won't it be a nation that's based on greed?
Because the only way forward is selling oil?
And that won't help the mal-distribution of wealth,
the government will get richer,
and could continue to abuse it's people.
And what if they stop selling oil to the West,
are we *text deleted* like that?

Oh and what's the UAE?

Joe

i understand, but 80 years ago people said Oman would never be a country to live in or work in etc, and look at it now, i lived there, the SAS were famous for fighting in their mountains...people also said the same about the UAE, i also used to live there aswell, and now its a luxurious place to be.

UAE is United Arab Emirates, the famous city Dubai in that country.

MT

S

Sotiris

MT you lived in Dubai?

I was born and raised there, 1986 to 2005. Best child/adolesanthood I think anyone could ever ask for...now I'm studying in Cardiff hahahaha!! So so lame.

When where you there?

MT6690

Reaction score
MT you lived in Dubai?

I was born and raised there, 1986 to 2005. Best child/adolesanthood I think anyone could ever ask for...now I'm studying in Cardiff hahahaha!! So so lame.

When where you there?

uhm...exact years i do not know *text deleted*, i lived in oman, then dubai then back to oman. i left oman in 2001....i went to the smallworld nursery school jumeira, and the english speaking school. you????

MT

S

Sotiris

Ahahaha no way!!

I went to Small World as well, then onto DESS then DC.

What do you do now then?

MT6690

Reaction score
Ahahaha no way!!

I went to Small World as well, then onto DESS then DC.

What do you do now then?

*text deleted*. sure enof. i live in kent, but im manc *text deleted*:amuse: i was going to college but thort that was *text deleted**text deleted*e and easy so left knwing i was goin to try and get in the marines...i miss dubai tho...u just take it for granted when your there. wat bout u?

wb

MT

S

Sotiris

I'm in Cardiff studying Stage Management (hahahahaha!!)...well not so silly really, managing a company of 40 actors, designers, directors, technicians and dancers must be giving me some leadership skills that would be useful.

Last I heard from the careers office if all goes will with my application and all I'll hopefully be seeing RT by Sept 09. I've just got to get this bloody course out the way. The hardest thing is staying in uni when this is what I really want to do.

Dubai is great, miss it every time I have to spent the equivalent of 6 dirhams on a bottle of water in a country when it rains all the time, rather then 10p on a two little bottle of water from the desert.

The only regret I have about trying for the Marines is that if I do get in I'll be going back to the Middle East to blow stuff up!

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to say that time heals all wounds, however it is all to do with religion, in Iraq there are the sunni muslims and the shiite muslims (don't know if thats how you spell it) and when youv'e got two conflicting religious groups unfortunately it becomes very difficult to have peace. When people believe so strongly about something and are willing to give there life for it (religion) then it becomes very difficult to persuade them to get along. You will always get unrest as there will always be fanatical people. The only reason I beleive we don't have something on that scale in England is becasue modern British culture has somewhat abandoned Christianity or religion for that matter.

Jim

S

Sotiris

The way I think of it is that countries like Iraq and Afghanistan have been at war with themselves or someone else for their entire existance. The sad truth is that this Western occupation is but a tiny tiny page in a huge tome of warlike history that is at least three thousand years old.

We may be able to provide some respite at some point. But to build the foundations of a lasting peace would be something special and totally uncommon to that area.

Danny Lake

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here, and although this is the section for potential officers, I am not and am joining as a bog standard bootneck (if they will have me that is ;-))

With regards the topic of conversation, somebody mentioned the conflicts that exists between Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims in Iraq, but let's not forget that these are not the only two of the groups living in the country. You see, Iraq is a country that used to be two separate countries. For those of you who don't know these countries were called Mesopotamia and Kurdistan.

Now, if you look at the current situation the arguments between Sunni and shi'ite aren't the only problems raging. Turkey has made several incursions into Iraqi territory in order to have a pop as it were at Kurdish fighters. This, as you should know, has caused quite a bit if upset amongst the Iraqi government as well as the larger international community. Furthermore you have the religious/ethnic/culturally (call it what you will) aggravated civil war in the country. For those of you who don't know, since Saddam was toppled from power, at its lowest estimation, half a million Iraqi civilians have died due to said "civil war".

The question that needs asking then is what can be done to prevent any further upset? Well, as far as I can see the inter-communal problems arise, not so much out of religious belief itself, but rather who it is that governs the country. You could argue that in the same way the Kurds have been given a certain level of autonomy, the same needs to happen with the Sunni's and shi’ites. This is of course not as easy as it looks though as some major Iraqi cities will be very mixed and forced removal of citizens is of course a no go area. However, to provide an area where different groups can live may help to cut back on the level of violence, and maybe what Iraq needs is a central government with as little power over local affairs as possible. Basically, what I am saying is that if Iraq is to work, then as much power needs to be devolved down to as local level as possible. If anything, this will bring the benefit of allowing these different groups to live as much under their own rule as possible, and may even cut back on the need to create different areas as Sunni and shi'ite tend to live in different villages/towns/cities anyway.

What I am saying is that whilst I believe Iraq can be a peaceful country, at present, given the current governmental structure, it can’t be peaceful because there are simply too many divisions to allow for it. In short, what has happened is a western system has been given to a people who have different needs and considerations that need to be taken into account when formulating a government. What is needed is a government that is localised, not centralised. At least then, different groups’ feelings can be taken into account when formulating effective policy.

New Threads